Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 06:51 PM   #1
IMA3GUY
AF Newbie

Question 323i Misc. Issues

This is my first chance to receive the vass knowledge from all you BMW geeks, so please be patient with all my questions.

1) How the hell do you get the climate control to work effectively. I want to defrost the windows but I don't want the fan to come on full speed. If I adjust the fan then the defrost goes off, please any hints!

2) I bought some Anterra 17" used chrome wheels the other day and they seem to give me some vibrations. I know with most other cars I have had after market wheels they also would shake somewhat. Does this happen to any of you? If so is there a way to get them balanced so they don't have this shake?

3) Some performance sound stores have told me that you can get switch out a computer card on the onboard computer to allow the 323i to boost its hp by 50 and also it removes the governer on the top speed. Is this true and if so does it void your warranty with BMW, decrease gas mileage, and make a noticeable speed difference? He also told me that they are appox. $500, is this right?

4) I get frustrated with the release point of my clutch. I have to excelerate to approx. 3000 rpm in first gear in order to keep the car from killing or avoid the chatter of the engine. Any techniques, parts, or solutions to this?

5) Do I really need to use premium gas in my car. I never notice much of a difference.:sun:
IMA3GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 01:47 PM   #2
Mikebull
AF Newbie

I understand that the chatter on the engine is normal. Assume a slight bunny hop style set off as well.

Where did you get the info for the power increases.
Mikebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 07:11 PM   #3
IMA3GUY
AF Newbie

Talking Performance Card

A guy that installs my stereo components told me he has a catalog or a friend that has the equipment.
IMA3GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2001, 05:35 AM   #4
4 MAX FUN
AF Newbie

This is my first chance to receive the vass knowledge from all you BMW geeks, so please be patient with all my questions.

3) Some performance sound stores have told me that you can get switch out a computer card on the onboard computer to allow the 323i to boost its hp by 50 and also it removes the governer on the top speed. Is this true and if so does it void your warranty with BMW, decrease gas mileage, and make a noticeable speed difference? He also told me that they are appox. $500, is this right?
>> Yup -- Dinan is prbably the best known BMW aftermarket performance chip maker. But 50HP is way high...5-15HP is more likely. You'll notice it(!)

4) I get frustrated with the release point of my clutch. I have to excelerate to approx. 3000 rpm in first gear in order to keep the car from killing or avoid the chatter of the engine. Any techniques, parts, or solutions to this?
>>This is going to sound funny, but, make sure your butt is firmly planted in the driver's seat, especially when starting out from a stop. Often, especially for the new driver, the initial acceleration from a stop lifts the driver's clutch foot just a fraction, making the car accelerate forward more, and setting up a "viscious cycle" of jerking, as the driver tries to modulate the clutch. By being better "planted" in the seat, this can often be avoided.

5) Do I really need to use premium gas in my car. I never notice much of a difference.
>> Your car's performance is optimized for premium. But the computer will modify the spark timing so that the engine is not damaged when you put in lower octane. The adjustments made will reduce the cars gas mileage, and max power. With current gas prices, I figure the gas mileage lost will about cancel out the price savings of regular vs. premium (about a 10% dif). And, what's the point of buying a finely engineered German performance car and then taking away horsepower with cheap gas? Oh, buy the way, if you are driving hard (such as high throttle openings, mountain driving, trying to beat that joker in the Maxima in the next lane), you WILL notice the reduction in horsepower, and you will also run the risk of overheating or otherwise damaging your engine, over an extended period of time. Also, if you upgrade the engine chip, you will run a much greater risk of screwing up your engine if you don't keep it on a steady diet of premium gas.

Hope that helps!

"Racing's Great...at the Race Track!!!"
4 MAX FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2001, 08:20 AM   #5
SCREW991LE323
AF Newbie

have to agree

I'll have to agree on the climate control. FULL blast for the defrost and you use the rear defrost the system has to be on???

As far a 93 gas ,yes you should, such high compression and high RPMS will stop pinging, expecally if you have mods.

1999 Camaro Z28 1LE LS1
2000 BMW 323i
SCREW991LE323 is offline   Reply With Quote