Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Sonata
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 10:23 PM   #1
19eclipse97
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 19eclipse97
Sonata Transmission Fluid. ?

Is ATF+3 OK TO USE IN MY SONATA, because i was told it had to be purchased from dealer only? so can i just use atf+3 from the locale parts shop, and still be ok in warranty?
19eclipse97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 01:38 PM   #2
twospirits
Ex-Janitor of AF

You do not specify which model year is your Sonata. According to this TSB off of Hyundai Webtech any Hyundai vehicle after July 2000 uses SPIII. If your sonata is manufactured after that date then and if you plan on getting anything other than Hyundai Fluid, any non-Hyundai shop will propably put in Dexron III and then an additive that will convert it to imitate Hyundai SPIII, which in either case kisses the warranty bye bye. Personnally, I wouldn't chance it. The Hyundai ATF fluid is not like the ones you can get at any shop. Its specifically made for Hyundai vehicles. Now the experts can argue that its the same, but every company that I know of states not to use any product other than the Hyundai Fluid. Neither Penzoil, Valvoline, Mobile or Castrol make an equivalent fluid. They all say to not use their product in your Hyundai, get it from the dealer. The components used by Hyundai are designed to perform at a high level, they are not your standard generic transmission, which can't be lubed by any off the shelf stuff at any shop.

Plus, it would be cheaper in the long run getting the fluid from the dealer at around $5 USD a quart than getting a new transmission if the un-Hyundai stuff you use does not fully lubricate the trans properly and cause it any damage. Hyundai isn't the only one using specialized parts that require specialized fluids, Chrysler does too, If you don't use their specific fluid, the transmission will break down quickly. Don't be confused because the stuff you plan on getting uses SPIII in its title, if its not Hyundai, you risk not lubricating the tranny and it might fail within a short time. Again, Do not get Dexron III or kiss your warranty bye bye. Only Hyundai SP-III .

TS out

Members please read: Guidelines
twospirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 04:20 PM   #3
19eclipse97
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 19eclipse97
cool deal thanks alot, i see your point and its good!
-nolan
19eclipse97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:58 AM   #4
jdonline
AF Newbie

Re: Sonata Transmission Fluid. ?

I'm wondering if I were to buy a used transmission from a local junk yard or from an online place if I would be able to tell what was being used. I know they can check the fluid. The question is would they be able to analyze the fluid to determine if it was the right kind. I guess this would be an important thing on buying a replacement.
jdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:06 AM   #5
Jalmir
AF Regular

Hyundai might be able to do that, you would have to ask a dealer to be sure.

Best bet would be to buy a low mileage transmission (to be sure the fluid was either, never changed or got chaged a few thousand miles ago) and then make sure the filter is changed and then flush the transmission with the proper flushing unit (it runs around 15 quarts in the AT if I remember correctly) at the dealer or by the mechanic that'll install it.
Jalmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:07 AM   #6
cmhj2000
AF Regular

[quote=jdonline] The question is would they be able to analyze the fluid to determine if it was the right kind. [quote]

Doubt if many junk yards could do this.

I know that when doing warranty work, the SPIII fluid can "USUALLY" be traced to see if it's genuine or not.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:12 PM   #7
lowsonoma1999
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via AIM to lowsonoma1999

The dealers don't have any way to tell what kind of fluid is in the transmission. The company that remanufactures the transmissions for Hyundai has that capability, but not the dealer. Some fluids have a distinct smell to them, and I've had a tech able to tell by smell that it isn't a Hyundai fluid. The SPIII is the only fluid that will work. I have seen cars that haven't even made it out of the parking lot at a quick change place before the transmission is toast. Even the aftermarket fluids that say it's universal and works for all makes and models including Hyundai's will not work. I have had many towed in here where Jiffy Lube, Pep Boys, etc. have had to buy transmissions because they didn't like the $5.92 per quart that Hyundai charges. Even if you were to buy a used transmission from a junk yard, you are going to want to change the fluid, no matter what mileage. Most used ones will have a warranty from the junk yard, so after you put the correct fluid in, and if it doesn't work, you know it didn't work before it was pulled from the car.
17665 Terry Lee Crossing
Noblesville, IN 46060
lowsonoma1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:06 PM   #8
Jalmir
AF Regular

Same opinion and experience here, but strangely some people are stuburn and still think they are winning in saving 20$ to service a 2500$ part ... until the tranny blows and they then have to fix it!
Jalmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:46 AM   #9
cmhj2000
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowsonoma1999
The dealers don't have any way to tell what kind of fluid is in the transmission. The company that remanufactures the transmissions for Hyundai has that capability, but not the dealer.
I never said the dealer could, I only said it can usually be done!!!!
Old 03-05-2008, 06:35 PM   #10
Bear
AF Enthusiast

Well, the critical item here is the MS specification of the fluid. On my grandsons 2001 Elantra the SPII is MS 7176 and that is the same as ATF+3, maybe because Hyundai used Chrysler ATX they use the same fluid. Bottom line the ATF+3 works just fine in the Elantra.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:00 PM   #11
dmiller66
AF Newbie

Save yourself some money in the long term.....synthetic fluids are vastly superior to any conventional fluid out there. Spend a little more, get exponential returns.
dmiller66 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Sonata