Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Sienna
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #76
charleysdaughter
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 1999 Sienna rear hatch broken! Can't open!

In 2013 the information posted here still helped me! I took off the back panel, worked around some stripped screws left my my mechanic, ordered and picked up the correct part at the Toyota dealership around the corner, and saved my self a pretty penny. The part was 69090-0C080. I was pleased to see the plastic lever has been changed to metal as other members had mentioned. I can't say the whole job took "15 minutes" but it definitely wasn't amy more time consuming then the 20 other things I had to do today. Thank you, John G for reccomending an on-line search!
charleysdaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #77
gino604
AF Newbie

Re: 1999 Sienna rear hatch broken! Can't open!

It's Feb 19 2014, and I just finished replacing the lift gate handle for my 99 Sienna. With the help of this forum and Youtube (you can find everything there), I was able to replace my plastic handle for a metal one with relative ease.

I had called around junk yards and could not find a used one. I was told they handles break off often and are always in demand. I called a couple of dealerships and was quoted about $120 cdn for a handle (plus about $180 cdn for labor for 1.5 hours)! In the end I am glad I did not go with a used plastic one (thanks to this forum). I called my local Lordco Auto store and got a new metal one for less than $60 cdn.

As I am mechanically challenged, I thought it would take me more like two hours but it only took about 1 hour, with a bit of assistance from my 11 y.o. son! I was able to open my lift gate within about 10 minutes. The handle replacement took about 20 minutes, as there was some minor issues with the screws fitting through the holes. I spent a fair bit of time putting back the panel cover, trying to align the plastic grommets to the holes.

I did a fair bit of reading this forum and watching Youtube and amazed myself. Best of all, I save myself over $200. I was happy and now my wife will be happy, too. Thanks to this forum!
gino604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:53 PM   #78
Don Quayle
AF Newbie

Re: 1999 Sienna rear hatch broken! Can't open!

I have watched several "How To" videos on YouTube. They say you can open the hatch by activating the cable inside the door, but that does not work for me. I managed to replace the latch handle without opening the hatch, but still can't open the door from inside or outside. Something about that inside cable & lever seems to be the culprit. How do I overcome that problem? Anybody???
Don Quayle is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Sienna