Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tercel
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
PenceFan
AF Newbie

Alternator(??)/electrical problem. Help needed please.

Hi folks. I'll try to be as short as possible, but as detailed too.

Have a 96 Tercel DX (AT). Purchased new in 96 and THANKFULLY, no major problems to report. 'Till now. Last November, my original alternator went. At that time, I was 1000% sure it was the alternator. Replaced, and all was well until recently. NOW,...the battery won't stay charged (suspected faulty alternator). Purchased new alternator w/out even having a load test done, as previously/originally, the alternator was the culprit. Well,...replaced the "old" alternator w/ the new one, AND,...same results. Battery won't charge/hold a charge and (obviously) I know this alternator is good.

I checked the fuses, and all seem to be in perfect working order. I'm not overly "mechanically inclined" (obviously,...why I'm here @ AF.com). Hoping some of you fine members could help me resolve this lingering problem so that I can be back on the road. Thanks in advance!!

P.S. Belts are all fine too!
PenceFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Air4ceOne
AF Newbie

Re: Alternator(??)/electrical problem. Help needed please.

How old is your battery? I had the same problem a while back. Thought maybe the battery was dead, so I put it on the charger. After several hours, it showed it was fully charged. Worked for a day or two and then was dead again. Found out the battery had a bad cell. Although it showed as fully charged and good to go, that bad cell kept it from holding the charge. Or course I had the same problem with my motorcycle with a brand new battery too. Both showed good on the cheapo testers at the parts store. It wasn't until it was connected to a better tester at the dealer that it showed the bad cell. Hopefully your problems is as simple as that.
Air4ceOne is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tercel