Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Nova | Prizm | Spectrum | Sprint
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 01:07 PM   #1
femaledriver
AF Newbie

Prism fuel filter-where is it?

Can anyone give me some advice? I have a 91 Geo Prism and when it idles or goes 25 to 35 MPR, it wants to die. I've read some of the forums and from what I can tell, this is pretty typical with this type of car. I want to check the fuel filter first but I don't know where it is. If you know, please send a message or if you have any ideas on what else it could be, I would really apprectiate it. Thanks
femaledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
jdl
AF Enthusiast

Re: Prism fuel filter-where is it?

My info shows it is below the brake master cylinder. If your not sure what it looks like, you can go to the parts store, tell them you want to look at one for your car. They will show it to you, you don't have to buy it, right then.

If you take fuel line loose, you have to careful about pressure. After the vehicle sits overnight without cranking or running, any pressure should be low. I guess your fuel injected. Loosen the gas cap. You can wrap a rag aroung the line, loosen the fitting a little at a time, wiggle it, make sure there is no pressure. You may have to temporarily plug the line coming from the tank, to keep gas from coming out. If you compare the restriction to air flow between the old one and the new, there should be a lot of difference, if the old filter is dirty.

Can you check for troublecodes?
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
femaledriver
AF Newbie

Hey thanks for the info. I found it and I don't think I can very easliy get to it. Probably will have to go to a mechanic, to many parts in the way. Thanks again.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
rockwood84
AF Enthusiast

take the air breather out then you loosen the bottom fitting with a line wrench the loosen the top fitting . pull the fiter out put the new one in hand tighten the top fitting first the ttighten it with a wrench. then go to bottom fitting hand tighten the wrench tighten it put the breather back in.
rockwood84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #5
femaledriver
AF Newbie

I really don't know anything about checking trouble codes. There isn't even anywhere on the dash that tells me what how the battery is as far as voltage. I changed the fuel filter and I am still having the same problem. It also wants to die when it is in idle. Any ideas?
Old 03-25-2008, 09:23 AM   #6
rockwood84
AF Enthusiast

a bad pvc valve will make a motor die it is located on the valve cover on the back side with a hose connected to it. also does it idle real low?
rockwood84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
femaledriver
AF Newbie

I found the problem and maybe this will help some of the other people that are haveing the same problem. The ground wire was not completely attached. All it took was to attatch it with a screw. Thanks for the response.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Nova | Prizm | Spectrum | Sprint