Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 12:15 PM   #1
Engineer_it_2_fly
AF Newbie

1999 K1500 Steering Index Issue

I changed my power steering gearbox for a remanufactured one and it functions properly but something is off on the indexing now. If you are driving straight the wheel is at about 45 degrees to the left. I don't see how this happened because the key was in the same place as it was on the old one and one turn of the input shaft puts the tires at say 30-40 degrees of straight. What is off? Do I now need an alignment because over the years the gearbox wear and periodic alignments over the years took it to the left due to wear and now I have new parts and it has to come back to center? What is the deal?
Engineer_it_2_fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:27 AM   #2
Engineer_it_2_fly
AF Newbie

Re: 1999 K1500 Steering Index Issue

I reasoned through all the possibilities and was left with the only option being that I just needed an alignment. After the alignment I checked with the shop that did it and they said nothing was pushed near a limit and all was where it should be. So, moral of the story is if you put in a new power steering gearbox in a circulating ball bearing system you need to do an alignment when you are done!
Engineer_it_2_fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:46 AM   #3
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: 1999 K1500 Steering Index Issue

A second possibility is that the pitman arm was installed one tooth off. So long as there was adequate adjustment in the tie rod sleeves you are golden.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
alignment , gearbox , pitman , steering
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban