Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
foxxy
AF Newbie

99 olds idle problems

My 99 intrigue will start fine but will rev to 3 grand then kick and sputter and die. It runs ok while driving but as soon as I stop it sputters and dies again,and I have to feather the gas pedal to keep it running.Any help out there?
foxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
goiserclause
AF Newbie

Re: 99 olds idle problems

Have you had it hooked up to scan tool? That would be a good starting point, since you can usually have it done for free. If theres an autozone around, they should check it for free. Write down any codes retrieved and post back.
goiserclause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Clean throttle body, and IAC pintle, and check IAC operation?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech II For This Useful Post:
foxxy (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
foxxy
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goiserclause View Post
Have you had it hooked up to scan tool? That would be a good starting point, since you can usually have it done for free. If theres an autozone around, they should check it for free. Write down any codes retrieved and post back.
Had autozone hook it up and the kid said it needed a new gas cap but that didnt make sense to me and i didnt buy one, maybe i should try one.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
foxxy
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
thanx i will try that
Old 08-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
foxxy
AF Newbie

Quote:
thanx, while cleaning the throttle body, i noticed a split vacuum line, fixed it and problem solved. thanx again.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
onanboy
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: 99 olds idle problems

I have somewhat of the same problem but with a variation.

It only seems to happen if the car has been setting for a while or parked on any kind of angle (even a slight incline will make things worse).

I can get around it by keeping the RPMs up around 2500 and then hold in the brake and shifting to drive or reverse and starting moving.

The other day it was so bad that I took it in and they read the codes and said the I had a filler neck leak (P0442 - I knew that already) and that they recommended that I change the Mass Air Flow Sensor and EGR valve. They said the EGR valve was stuck wide open.

Anyway, they did the repair for over $750 but the problem still exists. I had a bitch of a time keeping it running after only sitting for an hour on a slight incline but the shifting to R seemed to work.

Any ideas what might be causing something like this?
onanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:12 PM   #8
Tech II
AF Fanatic

The other day it was so bad that I took it in and they read the codes and said the I had a filler neck leak (P0442 - I knew that already) and that they recommended that I change the Mass Air Flow Sensor and EGR valve. They said the EGR valve was stuck wide open.

Recommended? Were codes set for these two sensors?

Anyway, they did the repair for over $750 but the problem still exists. I had a bitch of a time keeping it running after only sitting for an hour on a slight incline but the shifting to R seemed to work.

Any ideas what might be causing something like this?

Could be a wire harness problem.....shifting the vehicle, rotates the engine and may move the harness enough to recreate a contact/continuity that was lost....

Looking at live data with the problem happening, may point you in the right direction......
Old 11-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
onanboy
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 99 olds idle problems

Quote:
Recommended? Were codes set for these two sensors?
I don't have a code reader. I know the P0442 because Autozone read that one. I think that Monro said that there was an EGR code. It made me wonder if they just fixed what the codes said without real diagnosis of my problem. Don't know if there was a code about the MAF sensor.

Quote:
Could be a wire harness problem.....shifting the vehicle, rotates the engine and may move the harness enough to recreate a contact/continuity that was lost....

Looking at live data with the problem happening, may point you in the right direction......
Thanks for the advice. They did note that I had some exposed wiring on my #4 Injector but said that it wasn't an emergency.

The hard part is that sometimes after sitting it is okay and sometimes not. I could park it overnight at an angle at Monro and have them see if it stalls when they try to start it in the morning and that would give them a chance to look at live data while the problem exists. Of course if it starts fine that time it will just be frustrating.

Thanks again, I really do value the opinions of the people on this forum.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #10
Tech II
AF Fanatic

There are only a few ways you get exposed wiring....harness is too tight against something, causing a rub through condition, as engine moves....

The other is mice...they love the insulation of wires......they can eat the insulation, and sometimes adjacent wires can be exposed and come into contact, creating problems when there is contact......check the harness at the PCM(Computer)....
Old 11-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
onanboy
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: 99 olds idle problems

UPDATE:

Changed the fuel neck and reset the P0442 code.

Still having intermittent start then stall problem. It never happens once I get going. I noticed that some people have similar problems but they also will stall out while driving. I don't.

My new symptom is that my 98 Intrigue with 217,000 miles now idles way to high. After my trip into work and going out for lunch it seems to want to stay at the 1300rpm mark and then will even jump to 2000rpm when I shift into Park. It now throws a P0507 code. We read it with a coworkers bluetooth OBDII reader and his phone.

I am at a loss. I guess I will have to take it to a dealership and hope they can figure out the problem but come in with a $$ amount I can afford.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #12
onanboy
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by onanboy View Post
UPDATE:

Changed the fuel neck and reset the P0442 code.

Still having intermittent start then stall problem. It never happens once I get going. I noticed that some people have similar problems but they also will stall out while driving. I don't.

My new symptom is that my 98 Intrigue with 217,000 miles now idles way to high. After my trip into work and going out for lunch it seems to want to stay at the 1300rpm mark and then will even jump to 2000rpm when I shift into Park. It now throws a P0507 code. We read it with a coworkers bluetooth OBDII reader and his phone.

I am at a loss. I guess I will have to take it to a dealership and hope they can figure out the problem but come in with a $$ amount I can afford.
NEW UPDATE
Coworker suggested that it may be my IAC - Idle Air Control. We removed it but left it wired and then turned the ignition to ON. The little servo tried but could not extend the operator. We replaced it after work and I drove home with no issues. The proof will be in the pudding - will the symptoms come back.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #13
onanboy
AF Newbie

Talking Re: 99 olds idle problems

Quote:
Problem solved.

Tech II your advice for OP was my fix exactly.

Thank you very much!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue