Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 06:16 PM   #1
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

The Best of Yesterday and Today... at the Mopar Fall Fling

Here is a car that just knocked our socks off... (as well as Jay Leno's)

Brad

Viper 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 06:24 PM   #2
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

FYI, this car is running a Viper GTS-R engine, tranny, brakes and front coil-over suspension. The owner plans to take it to Silver State to see what it can do. He started the GTS-R engine a few times and it sounded like a Viper should (because it had an X-pipe to balance out the exhaust note).

Here are some more pics:

Here is the guy who built the car...

Old 10-26-2002, 01:53 PM   #3
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Man that superbird is sweeeeet.

Just wait till Polygon sees it.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 02:18 PM   #4
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!

That's incredible!!! Where was that show? Do you have pics from the rest of the show, or did you fill up the camera with that ViperBird?
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 02:57 PM   #5
DeViL
AF Enthusiast

nice

Man that engine seems to fit in their pretty easily.

Hehe the Superbird's spoiler defies the height any Honda boy has ever put on their car. And it makes use out of it while doing that :bandit:.

Nice car.
DeViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 03:00 PM   #6
YellowMaranello
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to YellowMaranello
I think its funny that they made the sploiler that big so you could open the trunk, instead of just putting it on the trink itself in the first place.
YellowMaranello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 04:48 PM   #7
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Neut, this is a '70 Dodge Daytona Charger (which were fast backs, while the Superbirds were notchbacks). They both set records of going over 200 mph for a production car. One of them turned over 220 mph.

Jay, I did take more pics. The Fall Fling Show was here in LA last Saturday. they also throw another show called the Spring Fling. Over 500 cars were being shown at this show. Take a look at the pics of the factory altered wheelbase Coronet racer (talk about a sleeper), and the Aussie Charger (shades of Mad Max).

Check out this link:

Mopar Fall Fling

Enjoy.

Brad

Old 10-26-2002, 05:40 PM   #8
gemballa
AF Enthusiast

that was waht iw as looking!
it doesnt looks like a superbird!
Old 10-30-2002, 01:05 AM   #9
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Viper 10
Neut, this is a '70 Dodge Daytona Charger (which were fast backs, while the Superbirds were notchbacks). They both set records of going over 200 mph for a production car. One of them turned over 220 mph.
You'll forgive me for mistaking that for a superbird but you got to admit it really looks like one.

(\__/)
Old 10-30-2002, 03:10 PM   #10
gemballa
AF Enthusiast

it also looks like a road runner!?
Old 10-30-2002, 04:37 PM   #11
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Quote:
Originally posted by gemballa
it also looks like a road runner!?
Wasn't the road runner the superbird?

(\__/)
Old 10-30-2002, 06:12 PM   #12
DeViL
AF Enthusiast

yes

In a way yeah the Superbird was the Roadrunner. I guess the body was based off the Roadrunner. There really isn't much difference in the Daytona and Superbird, both have that weird front nose and the huge spoiler. Both absolutely raped Ford on the Nascar tracks. They dominated so much that the wing and the nose piece ended up being banned from Nascar.

1970 Superbird

1970 Roadrunner (I don't think they came with the huge hood scoop)
DeViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 10:16 AM   #13
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Well the Plymouth Superbird and the Dodge Charger Daytona were the same exact cars; they rolled off the same assembly lines. Neither are fastbacks or notchbacks. The main difference is that the Charger Daytona’s will draw more money than their Superbird counterparts because of the Dodge name. There are some minor design cues that set these two apart.

As for this car, it is a nice sharp looking car, beautiful paint. I must ask why the V10? Why not a 528 Hemi, by far the superior engine to the Viper V10. I understand they are pricey at $20,000 and are back order. You say it is the GTS-R V10; it must be the concept GTS-R you are talking about because if it were the Oreca V10 then I would be DOHC and not pushrod, besides I don't think those engines are street legal.

It is a very nice Daytona though; I would still use the Hemi, much better than the V10.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 04:12 AM   #14
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Polygon
I must ask why the V10? Why not a 528 Hemi, by far the superior engine to the Viper V10. I understand they are pricey at $20,000 and are back order. You say it is the GTS-R V10; it must be the concept GTS-R you are talking about because if it were the Oreca V10 then I would be DOHC and not pushrod, besides I don't think those engines are street legal.
Polygon:

The reason why Al (the owner) didn't go with the Hemi on this car was because it originally was a Hemi car, and because no one else had ever done it. He built this car as a hot rod project and to run in the Open Road Race Silver State Challenge and for dry lake racing. It is not set up to be a dragster, which is better suited for the large displacement Hemi.

I believe that the GTS-R engine was purchased from CDI (that puts out around 550 RWHP), who builds the Le Mans engines for Oreca. Oreca never built engines for Vipers. CDI also makes an 800 HP version for Le mans Vipers. The mild engines are reinforced cylinder sleeves, racing valves & springs. lighter weight forged pistons, milled heads, splined cranks and custom ground cams...etc. All of the parts (including the block) have been magnafluxed for any minute cracks. Every cylinder and valve has been port matched, and all of the double action springs have been matched for their rates. Many of the major components have aso been cryo treated.

Furthermore, (to my knowledge as a Viper owner for the last 5 1/2 years with plenty of raod racing track experience under my belt) there has never been a DOHC V-10 engine built for a Le mans Viper by the factory. All Viper V-10's for street and for race are pushrods. Crate Viper engines are readily available through Mopar Performance. They are not on backorder (unless you are waiting for the SRT-10 engines). The price for a crate motor is $17,000. Price was not an issue when Al built this car.

In the future, when you make such wild statements about something like this, please give us a link to anything that you use as a reference. It helps to validate what you are saying, as well as making sure that there is quality information for everyone to study.

Thanks.

Old 11-25-2002, 12:27 PM   #15
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Well I was talking about the 528 Hemi, it is about $20,000 and on back order. I will have to do some looking on that GTS-R engine, I have seen pics of it, and I have been told it is DOHC. I will have to look for the site I found with that info.

I will post a link if I can find it.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster