Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
emu103
AF Newbie

cannot fill my cooling system, overheating

Hello,

For a little while now, my car has been experiencing problems and I, regrettably have been putting the problem off. Partially due to living in an apartment complex that will not even allow you to open the hood of your car without interrogation. Anyway now my car is disabled and luckily I was out of town at my parents where I rarely end up and they also have a garage.
The heat has not been working unless the engine is under load, and the coolant level will not stay constant.
Yesterday on the highway my car overheated so I pulled over and tried to fill it with water to get home. When trying to fill the radiator the water just gushes out and any additional amount of water is almost immediately burped right out.

Today I drained the radiator, lifted the front of the car and added water with the heat going and car running. no heat was ever pushed out of the vents, just room temp air even after the car reached operating temp and the fans turned on. At any rate i still turned the heater off and tried to finish filling the system even with the car running. the coolant is still being pumped out by as much volume as i can add, even with the car at a steep incline and the car running for more than ten minutes. burping etc.

To me it seems as though maybe the heater core is clogged, seeing as how i cannot get the air out of the system.

any ideas?
emu103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: cannot fill my cooling system, overheating

year, make, model, would be nice to know.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #3
emu103
AF Newbie

03 protege5.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
emu103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

You have to leave the heater on to burp the system. You said if overheated, why? Low on coolant? Stuck thermostat? etc. Fill up the rad, let it sit overnight with the cap off. Take alook the next day, top it off both rad and coolant bottle. Put the cap back on and drive it. See where your level is having driving it.
I have the same motor in 626. When I replaced the radiator I did what you did. Filled it up, started the car and it blew out. Thought something else was wrong. Had it up on ramps, etc. So like I said. Topped it off and went to bed. Came out and topped it off again, took almost another gallon.

Last edited by aleekat; 01-10-2014 at 08:03 PM.
aleekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #5
Papaveri
AF Newbie

Emu have you managed to fix it? Otherwise you could try using some particular liquid that can clean out the radiator pipes and clear clogs out...?
Papaveri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #6
Chrismathews4
AF Newbie

I have a 2000 ford contour basically with the same problem. The radiator is a sealed radiator, it has a reservoir that gravity feeds the radiator with coolant once the thermostat opens. And you can't hear the A/C compressor coming on and off but the car still overheats and I have turn the heat on to get the temp. Down and I'm in Florida which sucks cuz it's 90-108 here. I have power to the low side fan relay but I don't have a way of checking the resistors on the fan is there a simpler way of troubleshooting this. Oh and now the radiator cooling fans not coming on please help
Chrismathews4 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > General Discussion