Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Sebring | Sebring Coupe | Convertible
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 09:41 AM   #1
TapOut64
AF Newbie

96 Sebring hesitating and stalling intermittently

My wife's 96 Sebring convertible has been intermittently hesitating and once and a while even stalling after which it starts back up with no prolems. Had it in the shop but they couldn't get it to mess up. I've searched the topic and in most cases similiar to this the car will not restart but my wife's car does everytime. The car has 150,000 miles on it and the problem is very intermittent. Some days just one or two slight hesitations, other days a stall with more hesitations. Any ideas?
TapOut64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
ksheck
AF Newbie

Re: 96 Sebring hesitating and stalling intermittently

My son's 96 Jxi just started with intermittent stalling while driving. Took it to my mechanic who ran it through computer and road tests. Of course, no problems found. They suspect a crank sensor but didn't want me to spend the money without better diagnostics. Let me know what you find and I'll do the same.
ksheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
sunniebeech
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapOut64
My wife's 96 Sebring convertible has been intermittently hesitating and once and a while even stalling after which it starts back up with no prolems. Had it in the shop but they couldn't get it to mess up. I've searched the topic and in most cases similiar to this the car will not restart but my wife's car does everytime. The car has 150,000 miles on it and the problem is very intermittent. Some days just one or two slight hesitations, other days a stall with more hesitations. Any ideas?
I have a 2000 jxi that is doing the same intermittent stalling. Anyone find the solution? Thanks.
sunniebeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:18 AM   #4
taillight
AF Enthusiast

I have seen the O2 sensor cause a hesitation and stalling and never turn on a trouble code. O2 sensors last about 100,000 miles. If you have more than that it is a good time to replace it anyway.
taillight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:56 AM   #5
sunniebeech
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info. Have you heard of a camshaft position sensor? I'm having trouble locating one at a store (have found one online). The car gave the codes for that part, the IAT and the MAP sensor. Looking through past posts shows the part you mention and the crank sensor as the most likely problems. I've had the tune up but it didn't help. Yesterday the car didn't want to keep running. It turns over and runs for a few seconds then dies. On the 3rd attempt it kept running and I was able to baby it home. What do you think? Do I need to replace all of those things? Thanks again.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:35 AM   #6
taillight
AF Enthusiast

Yes the cam sensor will also do that and if the computer saw it then it is the most likely one.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
sunniebeech
AF Newbie

Ok, I had the codes read again today and now there are 3 codes: MAP, IAT, TPS and camshaft position sensors. The MAP and IAT are done. I'm still trying to figure out the camshaft position sensor. I bought the Haynes Repair Manual (by the way, there is a $10 rebate on them right now) which says the cps requires a new distributor...UGH and the prices for those are anywhere from $214 to over $400. I'm going to wait and see how it runs with the 2 changes already made then go from there. The store I went to has to order the TPS and they need the size of the distributor which I didn't have...if I do need the distributor would a rebuilt one be an okay choice? Thanks!
Old 09-09-2007, 09:19 AM   #8
taillight
AF Enthusiast

A rebuildt on is ok. Don't forget the O2 sensor.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:29 AM   #9
sunniebeech
AF Newbie

Update: Replaced the TPS yesterday. Ran well. This morning it died at a light and will not restart. Towed car home. So it is on with the distributor I suppose and O2 sensor. What about the crankshaft position sensor? And are there any other sensors I should be pricing? I was told yesterday that once one sensor goes, they all go. Thanks, have a great day.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:38 AM   #10
taillight
AF Enthusiast

No just do one at a time.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:11 AM   #11
sunniebeech
AF Newbie

UPDATE 2: Ended up taking the car to Pep Boys to have a distributor and a crank position sensor put on. They said the 02 sensors were fine. It ran fine Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Saturday while out driving around, the car overheated again. Stopped and added a gallon of antifreeze and a gallon of water. Any idea why that would happen after having the radiator flushed a couple of weeks ago as well as a new thermostat? Thanks for the help.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:24 PM   #12
pelon623
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapOut64

I heard that you said that a MAp sensor fixed the problem was the car dieing out whenever you came to a complete stop, because mine dies not all the time but when I stop at a red light for a while(usually5-10 minutes) then I start to go sometimes it will just hesitate but sometimes it just stalls out, but i put it into neutral and it starts up again. But if I am driving and picking up speed tht car has no problems only when i stop for a while
pelon623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:13 AM   #13
jamster06
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelon623
I heard that you said that a MAp sensor fixed the problem was the car dieing out whenever you came to a complete stop, because mine dies not all the time but when I stop at a red light for a while(usually5-10 minutes) then I start to go sometimes it will just hesitate but sometimes it just stalls out, but i put it into neutral and it starts up again. But if I am driving and picking up speed tht car has no problems only when i stop for a while
My car was doing what you are saying is happening to you... but with me - it would only happen on a day where it had been raining a lot or there was snow. In the morning it would either start right up or not at all - then I'd get stopped behind a bus and it would stall... after holding the key forward for a couple of seconds it would come right back on.

I ended up getting a tune up - just plugs and wires. It worked for a little bit, but could still hear the problem. Got new distributor, cap, and rotor and it fixed the problem for the time being... but I went through a puddle the other day and it stalled... I know water on the distributor isn't good - but it shouldn't have caused it to not work so after the new distributor I really don't know too much.

Tip : If your distributor gets wet and it the car is running badly - try to spray wd40 on the distributor.
jamster06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #14
dragonchains
AF Newbie

Has anyone found a solution to this stalling out problem with the 96 Sebring? Mine seems to drive fine until I come to a stop, then it stalls and will have to be restarted. I've replaced the throttle position sensor, idle control valve, fuel filter, and fuel pump so far. I took the car to a mechanic, and the car is only throwing one code stating the high speed fan relay is bad....to which I can't seem to find a relay for that in either of the fuse boxes (in dash and under hood).
dragonchains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #15
top down az
AF Newbie

my 96 sebring was also stalling at stop's and hesitating,
and the check engine lite came on went to Auto Zone to get it checked out, MAP sensor or the computor was the code replaced the MAP sensor and no more problem,
top down az is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Sebring | Sebring Coupe | Convertible