Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 12:07 AM   #1
Desirabledeath16
AF Newbie

Wink Top Three upgrades for racing

I have a 93 nissan altima GXe....

And i know its not bad ass but what are the top three best upgrades

i can do to my car so i can race?? Thanks alot!
Desirabledeath16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 02:45 AM   #2
4trackmixtape
AF Regular

I would say your first priority should be tires and rims. Tires are probably the most important since they're what connects your car to the road. Good lightweight rims will reduce your unsprung weight, which is the weight that isn't supported by your suspension. I'd go with 15's or 16's, maybe 17's, but anything bigger isn't really meant for racing. Then you can go the standard intake/headers/exhaust route for some horsepower. I think I've seen some cams for the KA24 from Jim Wolfe or Stillen too.

Oh yeah, don't forget the Altezza tail lights...........j/k
4trackmixtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:09 PM   #3
wonword
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to wonword
Re: Top Three upgrades for racing

I'd buy a header and catback first. And replace the cat. converter with a ebay resonator. After that I'd get a cheap BOMZ intake or something of the sort, WAI are fine, but CAI I believe are a tiny bit better but you pay way more for them. Reset the ECU after any mod.
OBX Header
Short Throw Shifter
Extreme Performance Clutch

68' AMC Abassador
Chevy 350
TH 350 Tranny
Headers
Dual Exhaust

1999 Suzuki GSX-R 600
Yellow/Black
Yoshimura Exhaust

http://members.cardomain.com/wonword
wonword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:04 PM   #4
JustSayGo
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to JustSayGo Send a message via Skype™ to JustSayGo

I agree with 4trakmixtape. Work on handling performance of the power you have. Nothing better than tires. WonWord is right about complete exhaust system. Get rid of that stock put-put noise. Changing cams on an Altima are more involved and more expensive than on other engines because of the valve adjustment procedure.
JustSayGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 02:04 AM   #5
altimaracer
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Top Three upgrades for racing

jus do whatevery body else does and u will beat an si hatch and si coupe and loose to a gsr hatch by a friggen headlight since our third gear is so long,: inake and... yep exhaust , i hope u have a 5 speed right cause with an automatic theres no chance in hell. And dont race everycar at everystop light,or do reverse donuts, or cut the springs or run over a median a couple inches off the ground because all these will cause transmission failures, i still havent learned , but going on 5 transmissions im gettin close lol. and for some reason ,im still not sure what to do about it but the mass air sensor cuts the air in half before it gets to the throttle body in half , and thats not cool. Oh and watch the distributor because it likes to not work n e more,if this happens just take it out and clean it with air and or buy another one. thats it
ALTIMA BECAUSE ITS NOT A HONDA
altimaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:04 PM   #6
13altima99
AF Newbie

Altimaracer is right you better have a 5 speed. In my 5 speed Altima 99 I have intake, headers, catback, 10.3 OBX wires, NGK laser iridium plugs, B&M short shifter, and stage one clutch and I have won against a shit load of cars. I want to turbo it so I can beat more cars.
13altima99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:57 PM   #7
coled91
AF Newbie

ok man i have a 95 altima gxe and even if you have 5 speed it is a waste of time. i have 150 hp stock at the engine and you probably have around the same. altimas are not racing cars man if you want to put money into a car go with something different. thats my personally opinion dont get me wrong i love racing altimas just are not worth it especially that old
coled91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:18 PM   #8
13altima99
AF Newbie

you might probally think that but its because you haven't seen mine run in my altima i have beat srt-4 and cobalt supercharged, imagine what i can do with a turbo its the same one as the 240 you just have to make custom modifications to downpipe.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:21 PM   #9
13altima99
AF Newbie

you have no faith i'am not saying its the fast car i also have an eclipse turbo with a 2.0 and thats faster than the altima, but the alitma is fast also.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #10
coled91
AF Newbie

ok well it depends on what you guys think is fast. i used to work with a guy who thought his 95 subaru legacy 2.2L was fast and it was puttin out like 130 hp stock at the engine. which with the amount of miles he had on it and the fact that you lose horsepower when you go to the wheels, he was probably pushing 80hp at the wheels max. and he thought that was fast, so it depends on the person but i personally wouldnt do it and i own an altima. 4 generally dont think 4 doors should be made to race anyways but some can get by with it
Old 09-11-2008, 05:36 PM   #11
methodmix
AF Regular

And what kind of mpg's do you get with these mods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13altima99
you have no faith i'am not saying its the fast car i also have an eclipse turbo with a 2.0 and thats faster than the altima, but the alitma is fast also.
methodmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:17 PM   #12
darrenbt
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coled91
generally dont think 4 doors should be made to race anyways but some can get by with it
I disagree.

<- Drives an STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13altima99
In my 5 speed Altima 99 I have intake, headers, catback, 10.3 OBX wires, NGK laser iridium plugs, B&M short shifter, and stage one clutch .
This wouldn't beat an SRT-4. Not trying to bash, I just don't think you should lead the OP to believe that he could beat an SRT-4 with those mods...

To the OP. Tires will make a surprising difference to handling, probably would be best followed by a set of springs. Neither of these will make you faster in a straight line though. The other recommendation of full intake/exhaust should handle the air path, next would be fuel ($$$) or ignition.

With an older car one must remember to keep you maintenance top notch. Nothing will kill your performance faster then a few clogged filters, fried plugs or dertiorated ignition parts...
darrenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:56 PM   #13
coled91
AF Newbie

still if thats what you want to do just dont be a ricer man just think of it this way. with the 2.4l engine you are basically a 4 door fwd 240sx. thats alot more weight and who would take fwd over rwd? but if thats what you want to do definately go with headers, exhaust, stuff like that. dont believe these people who put spark plugs in and act like they are gettin massive hp gains cause they dont do shit. seriously though, get a real racing car and start from there thats what im working on
Old 10-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #14
coled91
AF Newbie

dont do stupid little stuff thinking you are going to get alot of hp. big hp means big $$$ seriously, so have some money devoted and some set aside cause i promise problems will come up

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima