Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 10:13 PM   #1
drift
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to drift
Ignition Systems

lookin for a new ignition system. I just yanked the MSD 6A out of my Prelude tonight since it fried. all wires were connected well, all grounds still in place... the sucker just up and fried.

but since i'm on forced induction, i need something that can light off a dense charge efficiently... more so that a stock ignition that may or may not have the power to do so.

MSD is out of the question... no 6A, 6AL, Digital 7, SCI or whatever. their components are too flaky to risk on my car.

No Mallory. sorry, but my friend's 240Z keeps burning his ignition modules up.

I keep hearing about Crane HI-6 and Jacobs... my friend uses Jacobs as a backup in his Z, and he hasnt had any problems with it. in fact, he loves it. too bad i keep hearing bad things about their reliability and return policy if it's defective. as for the Crane setups, i have no experience with them and if they're what i'm looking for.

basically, i want something bulletproof without having to invest in Electromotive.

lemme know what you've used, it's pitfalls or praises. thanks!
drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 11:27 PM   #2
89ssgti
AF Fanatic

If it could help when I searched for one everybody recommended the Crane Hi6,and I got it.
I can't tell you how it works cause I never got to make it work yet,I need a tach adapter and the shop didn't give me the good one.... .

All I can say is that I heard it's one of the best out there.
Af Nordic crew #008

team drift cat official member#5
Originally posted by sparq
CANADA RULES :finger:
CANADA RULES -- thats all that matters :ylsuper

89ssgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 08:14 AM   #3
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Veetec Send a message via AIM to Veetec
Quote:
Originally posted by 89ssgti
If it could help when I searched for one everybody recommended the Crane Hi6,and I got it.
I can't tell you how it works cause I never got to make it work yet,I need a tach adapter and the shop didn't give me the good one.... .

All I can say is that I heard it's one of the best out there.
Iīd just like to know if I should buy new spark plugs, wires,... to get a better mileage (I didnīt want to start a new topic) ? Or what else could I do to get a better mileage? Whatīs worth to buy? My engine is bone stock by the way.
Thanx!
Veetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 12:11 PM   #4
89ssgti
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Veetec
Iīd just like to know if I should buy new spark plugs, wires,... to get a better mileage (I didnīt want to start a new topic) ? Or what else could I do to get a better mileage? Whatīs worth to buy? My engine is bone stock by the way.
Thanx!
personnaly I think stock wires(Ngk)are good enough for a lot of horsepower,in a feature of Chris Rado Teg in a past mag he listed his spark plug wires as stock Honda replacement.And he made an excess of 800 hp.
Af Nordic crew #008

team drift cat official member#5
Originally posted by sparq
CANADA RULES :finger:
CANADA RULES -- thats all that matters :ylsuper

89ssgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 02:53 PM   #5
fritz_269
AF Moderator

I've started to hear some really nice things about the Crane Hi-6 stuff. The Hi-6TRC comes stock with a sequential rev-limiter & linear boost timing retard. Looks to be a strong contender at a very reasonable price - around $300. http://www.cranecams.com/ignition/hi6trc.htm

Jacobs is getting a decent reputation in the import market, I really haven't heard anything bad about those products. But they have a pretty miserable reputation in the domestic market. I also very much dislike the way they engage in deceptive marekting practices. I can't recommend their products.

Holley's Pro-Strip Annhiliator is fully programmable with all the bells and whistles (boost & RPM & anything else dependent timing map, four RPM switches, four rev limiters, oil pressure kill switch, 16kRPM capability, etc.) It's also microprocessor controlled and is measured to have a much more stable and accurate spark timing. But it runs over $500. http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...C/800-300.html

IMHO, for a street turbo setup - the Crane looks to be the one. But for a full-on race turbo setup - the Holley has the flexibility.

fritz_269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 08:18 PM   #6
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by 89ssgti

personnaly I think stock wires(Ngk)are good enough for a lot of horsepower,in a feature of Chris Rado Teg in a past mag he listed his spark plug wires as stock Honda replacement.And he made an excess of 800 hp.
Itīs not about more power. I was wondering if new spark plugs, wires,... would give me a better mileage?! I know that they wonīt give me any power gain on a stock engine,.....but gas is very expensive over here!
Old 02-06-2002, 09:49 PM   #7
rybred
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to rybred
Quote:
Originally posted by Veetec
Thanx!
I just put new wires and plugs on my lude and i think it made a little difference with gas milage, but it's so minimal, don't expect to see that big of a difference! But it's definetly a good idea to put new wires and plugs if it's been a long time since your last change! I know my engine thanks me everytime i give her some new goodies!
rybred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 05:51 AM   #8
Veetec
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by rybred

I just put new wires and plugs on my lude and i think it made a little difference with gas milage, but it's so minimal, don't expect to see that big of a difference! But it's definetly a good idea to put new wires and plugs if it's been a long time since your last change! I know my engine thanks me everytime i give her some new goodies!
Okay, thanx! Then my ignition will stay stock, too.