Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 07:05 PM   #1
Buzz1167
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Buzz1167 Send a message via MSN to Buzz1167
Amp wiring help.

Ok, I understand basically how the system is supposed to be setup, but I just need a push in the right direction. I've got a 1997 CRV and already have a "door speaker" amp under the driver seat. I just got another amp and was going to put it underneath the passenger seat, but I dont know the correct way to do it. Should I find an existing hole in the firewall on the passenger side for the power, or go through the one by the drivers side (that was professionaly done the first time) and loop back? Also, when I hook up the amp to my "sub out" on my sony head unit, there are 2 rca jacks hanging off of a stock cable, both with one label that states its the "sub out"!!! Is it a stereo sub out (their not color coded), or should I just use one?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Buzz1167
Jon N
Buzz1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 08:14 PM   #2
kicker1_solo
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to kicker1_solo Send a message via Yahoo to kicker1_solo
For putting in a second amp you don't have to use 2 power wires. Such as in my car I have a distibution block which inputs one power wire and splits it into two, you can get these almost at any stereo shop for fairly cheap. Here's a pic, it's the little box in the middle

And about the RCAs. Is your amp a 2 channel amp that will use both of the RCAs? On my deck it has a small L and R right next to them, could yours possibly have them too? Might wanna double check on that. If you can't find any, it shouldn't matter too much if they're crossed.

Yakima Valley Truck Club Yakima Washington
kicker1_solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 09:33 PM   #3
Buzz1167
AF Enthusiast

I already bought a second wiring kit for 20$, becuase it was the cheapest and I thought it was the best way to do it at the time. And also becuase my current wire cant support my 2 amps, its only 250w rated.
The sub outs aren't labeled, whitch makes me think, maybe they have 2 sub settings? I haven't screwed around with all the functions, but I know the head unit has built in crossovers, But I thought I only saw one sub function, not 2. And aren't subs usually mono? Oh well it doesnt really matter, but I read that someone here sugested to run the power cables away from the other cables to keep distortion down. So I was going to try to run the power down the drivers side, but that means I have to cross the middle section of the car with one power cable, can you feed it under the carpet without cutting holes all over (except where it enters and comes out under the seats?), How would you do it? I was also wondering how they got the cables under neath the bottom of the door jamb, do they just pry it up a little and stuff them in there or what?

I also see that this "dyno mat" stuff is prety expencive, whitch makes me think that it works. Do any of you use it? If so, whyd you decide to put some in, like what does it actually do?

Thanks,
Buzz1167
Jon N
Old 09-15-2003, 12:43 AM   #4
kicker1_solo
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to kicker1_solo Send a message via Yahoo to kicker1_solo
I would still use the 2nd wiring kit that you bought for what I explained to do with the distribution block, it would be easier than running a second power wire. The power wire you already have it most likely large enough, you shouldn't have any problems. I have over 1,000 watts running on a wire that's rated for 250 and haven't had any problems with it.

About running power wires and speaker wires on opposite sides of the car, this is true. They can cause engine noise and such if ran together, so do power on one side and RCAs on the other side. To get the wires under the door sills, just unscrew or pop off the door sills and pull up the carpet a little bit. I wouldn't recommend trying to run the wires under the middle of the carpet, you'll have to take your seats out and then peal up the carpet (taking all the glue off).

Dynomat is expensive and it's worth it. I had almost my whole car done on my previous car. Had behind the doors panels, in the trunk, the floor of the trunk, everywhere that I could get to easily. It cuts down vibrations of the car tremendously and helps keep the sound in the car which in turn gives you much better sound.

Yakima Valley Truck Club Yakima Washington
kicker1_solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 02:05 PM   #5
Buzz1167
AF Enthusiast

Ok thanks for the info. But I guess my problem is still that I have an amp on the drivers side, and on the passenger side. How do I get power to both of them? I'ts better to run the power by itself, and the rca's on the other side. So unless I run 2 power cables, I dont see any way to get the power to both sides, without going underneath the carpet, or running a big red wire across the middle of the car.

This is the only real problem I have with this setup. I cant fit them both under one seat, and theres no room in the back becuase I'm hiding the sub, so the enclosure is just big enough to meet requirements (1cuft), and its in a wheel well, so theres really no way to mount the amp anywhere back there. I guess Ill try to find a way to get under the carpet without pulling it all up. Maybe you can run a wooden dowl under there first, and then run the wires?

I know carbon fiber blocks rf signals(although to what degree im unsure of), so maybe I can run the rca's and the power togethor insulated in a cf tube? Anyway theres still the "big red wire" problem.

Thanks for the help so far kicker.
Buzz1167
Jon N

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio