Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 01:05 PM   #76
Pick
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Tekone

The 3.8 V6 has been put into 8 cars in the last few years. It is overall a very reliable engine.
In the last few years? Has it been put into 9 different cars in the same model year, in four different platforms, with the least horse-power out of all those cars having 240 horses??? And no, its not reliable.

Quote:
So you had problems?
Yeah, we had problems in 4 different cars with 3.8's in them. Obviously all of them weren't lemons.

Quote:
I never said the GM 3.8 was better than the VQ series Nissan V6. Where did you get that from? I just responded to someone's post about it being WAY better than the GM 3.8 and told them to post FACTS not opinions.
It is a fact that the VQ is way better than the 3.8. There, now I said it and I have proof.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:13 PM   #77
Tekone
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Pick

Then let me ask you this: How do F-bodies run high 12's stock if an SS camaro runs a low 12 1/4 with cams, headers, exhaust, new rear-end, intake manifolds, and slicks??? And that is at the track!!! You're not making sense......
How dense are you? Seriously? First, specify what kind of cam, headers, exhaust, rearend the f-body has.
Lets say it has a decently agressive cam (e.g. 228/228 112 LSA .570 .570)
Lets give it LT headers.
And why not Loudmouth exhaust. Common for most f-bodies as a mod.
Lets give it a 12 bolt rearend for better reliability.
Intake manifold change? Lets keep it stock and realistic.
Slicks? Lets give it BFG DR's.
Since it has a cam, it will also have most if not all of the minor bolt on's like an air lid, 160/180* stat, stall (if it's an auto) gears (why it needs a 12 bolt w/slicks)

With all those mods, a well driven f-body will run low 12's.
Performance Mods: Z28 Catback, Cutout
Appearance Mods: 35% side, 5% rear tint
Charcoal leather seats
Comming soon: 3.73's, LSD, Air Lid, VS Cam
Not in that order....
Old 06-26-2003, 01:16 PM   #78
Pick
AF Fanatic

Quote:

How dense are you? Seriously? First, specify what kind of cam, headers, exhaust, rearend the f-body has.
Lets say it has a decently agressive cam (e.g. 228/228 112LS1 .570 .570)
Lets give it LT headers.
And why not Loudmouth exhaust. Common for most f-bodies as a mod.
Lets give it a 12 bolt rearend for better reliability.
Intake manifold change? Lets keep it stock and realistic.
Slicks? Lets give it BFG DR's.
Since it has a cam, it will also have most if not all of the minor bolt on's like an air lid, 160/180* stat, stall (if it's an auto) gears (why it needs a 12 bolt w/slicks)

With all those mods, a well driven f-body will run low 12's/high 11's.
Did you watch the video?? It ran a 12.54 . That is damn slow for having all those mods and your claimed stock time. Which is why your claimed stock time isn't credible......

It got beat by a Maxima who's bet time has been 11.913.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:33 PM   #79
Tekone
AF Regular

Quote:

Did you watch the video?? It ran a 12.54 . That is damn slow for having all those mods and your claimed stock time. Which is why your claimed stock time isn't credible......

It got beat by a Maxima who's bet time has been 11.913.
I just watched the video. How in the hell do you know what mods it had, because none are announced, so it's up to your imagination to know what it had. Yes, it was obviously modified. But you don't know what it had. The announcer stated he though he saw it purge, indicating it might have had nitrous. If it had even a 75 shot, that car would be good for mid 12's just like it ran. I think that is all it had. Nitrous, and an upgraded fuel pump to accomidate it.

I can show you video after video of low 13 and high 12 second runs by a countless number of LS1 f-bodies. But why bother? You are still convinced you are right no matter what I post. I have posted fact after fact, and you ignore them all. You just continue to spout BS. And I just keep correcting your BS.
Charcoal leather seats
Not in that order....
Old 06-26-2003, 01:42 PM   #80
Pick
AF Fanatic

Quote:

I just watched the video. How in the hell do you know what mods it had, because none are announced, so it's up to your imagination to know what it had. Yes, it was obviously modified. But you don't know what it had. The announcer stated he though he saw it purge, indicating it might have had nitrous. If it had even a 75 shot, that car would be good for mid 12's just like it ran. I think that is all it had. Nitrous, and an upgraded fuel pump to accomidate it.
How do I know what he has?? Because I know the guy that raced him. Plus did you hear it, see the tires, and see the kind of burnout he did. That's no nitruous burn-out.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:17 PM   #81
Tekone
AF Regular

Quote:

How do I know what he has?? Because I know the guy that raced him. Plus did you hear it, see the tires, and see the kind of burnout he did. That's no nitruous burn-out.
You don't use nitrous to burn out. That kind of burnout can be done by a bolt-on LS1 f-body. What do you think 350+ lb-ft. of torque can do to a set of tires? And anyways, 3 things. One, did you ever bother to see what altitutide that track was at? Altitutide can greatly affect e.t.'s and mileage. Second, he could just be a bad driver, no offense to him. If he has what you say he has, then he should be running faster than he did at sea level. Third, did the car have any tuning? I could see it running that time easily if it is untuned.

I can't explain why he ran a bad time like that with his modifications if he has what you suggest. Point is, I don't have to. You are proving nothing. LS1 f-bodies still run what they run regardless of whatever videos you show of them. Again, I can provide many videos of low 13 and a few high 12 second 1/4th mile runs as well as dyno graphs and plenty of evidence to support this.

Charcoal leather seats
Not in that order....
Old 06-26-2003, 11:05 PM   #82
stangvette1
Banned

Tekone, it has been proven that the cobra is just as fast as the Z06. Go to svtperformance.com and look in the kill section. You will see that there are Z06s going down. They are both low 12 second cars.
But this is a v6 comparison. The 3.8 liter mustang will take down the 3.8 liter camaro! Your opinions aren't b.s., but but they are baised!
Old 06-27-2003, 01:46 AM   #83
yojcbeast
AF Newbie

in the video you don't even see the nissan burnout... I gotta put up the

From experience, my 3.8L smokes 3.8L stangs. I'm sorry but it does. I have read countless articles and reviews comparing both v6 models. And the camaro has come on top with all of them.
I have a buddy with a 00 auto stang and we ride each others cars. he was always impressed with mine compared to his, and was jealous of the power.
For those of you who know me, my v6 hangs/beast stang gts. I ran a best of 14.49 at 94-96mph, I gotta get the timeslip out, it's too late to do so and the Mrs. is sleepin'
Stock v6 can run 15s all day, look here
http://media.firebirdv6.com/unsunghero.html
I'm stock stangs run high 16s.
As a last resort v6 mustang owners resort to weight. Well, the aerodynamics of the camaro make up for it's weight, the sleeky body is built more for speed than the boxy mustang
sorry there, and man how sweet it would be if any late model f-body or corvette had a supercharger, or nitrous... woo wee. I gotta say that chevy has to be respected for actually putting thought into making a redesigned engine as opposed to slapping a supercharger on a existent engine. Oh well, to each his own. I don't think anyone here will argue that if ss or trans am matched a 03 cobra and it was supercharged, we'd see how close it wouldn't be. Also, '02 was the last year for camaros and birds, so all chevy has is the corvette, and Pontiac has the GTO coming back. 340hp I believe
A response to the Maxima engines, there's no doubt they're really good high tech engines. But there are things that go along with something that is high tech. 1) cost of repairs . My buddy blew his exhaust manifold on his eclipse spyder. He's so bitchy about how much it's gonna cost. Mine's soooo much cheaper. 2) nobody here has ever denied that the 3.8 is an engine that uses older technology. I mean, it is an iron block. A pushrod v-6. But the thing about using old technology is that you know what to expect, and that old technology is coupled with what's new, to make a damn reliable engine. Plus performance parts for my car are chheaaap. I got my 99 v6 with 60k miles on it, every option possible, sport appearance package for 8k. haven't had a problem yet. 3) I'm sure your v6 is aluminum and the whole family of nissan v6s. You can't fix cracked aluminum Can't wait till GM makes an aluminum v6, and of course it'll be comparable. Technology is a weird thing, when one company has an edge, another has something better. Thus arguments spur until something else is created, it is a neverending cycle, but it is interesting
Old 06-27-2003, 03:05 PM   #84
Tekone
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by stangvette1
Tekone, it has been proven that the cobra is just as fast as the Z06. Go to svtperformance.com and look in the kill section. You will see that there are Z06s going down. They are both low 12 second cars.
But this is a v6 comparison. The 3.8 liter mustang will take down the 3.8 liter camaro! Your opinions aren't b.s., but but they are baised!
An 03' Cobra has around 425-435 fwhp real world. A Z06 has right about 400-405 fwhp. However, the Z06 weighs ~500 lbs. less. Z06's weigh 3200 lbs. 03' Cobras weigh around 3700 lbs. Thats one hell of a lot less weight. So ~30 hp makes up for the 500 lb. difference? Nope.
Second, why keep generalizing with the V6 Mustang beating a V6 Camaro. Your generalization is incorrect. For the 3rd time or so, I'll post this again:
Auto to auto, the Camaro will win. The Camaro weighs ~150 lbs. more, but Chevy can build a decent auto. Ford cannot. Ford's auto is pretty bad, and takes away from the Mustang's 1/4th times considerably.
Manual to manual, it is a drivers race.

Again, I have raced both autos an manual mustangs. I have not lost to an auto 99+ yet. I have lost to a manual once and beat one. Others that have done the same races have about the same results.
Charcoal leather seats
Not in that order....
Old 06-27-2003, 08:28 PM   #85
stangvette1
Banned

I don't race that often with my '01 stang auto so maybe you're right about the ford automatic transmission.

P.S. Tekone, you said that the manual mustang and manual camaro would be a driver's race, even with the 150 pound weight disadvantage. Using the 10hp=100lb. theory the cobra would only have a 200 pound weight disadvange against the Z06 since it has 30 more horsepower. Therefore the cobra versus the Z06 would be a driver's race ( according to you, of course).
Old 06-27-2003, 09:29 PM   #86
Tekone
AF Regular

Quote:
I don't race that often with my '01 stang auto so maybe you're right about the ford automatic transmission.

P.S. Tekone, you said that the manual mustang and manual camaro would be a driver's race, even with the 150 pound weight disadvantage. Using the 10hp=100lb. theory the cobra would only have a 200 pound weight disadvange against the Z06 since it has 30 more horsepower. Therefore the cobra versus the Z06 would be a driver's race ( according to you, of course).
You cannot generalize like that and just say 10hp=100lbs. More factors come into play than just hp. You have to account for aerodynamics, gearing, engine specifics, drivetrain, suspension ect. An 03' Cobra is close to a Z06, but equal drivers assuming, the Z06 will pull ahead in the 1/4th by a few cars. The ZO6 is slightly faster to where it is more than just a drivers race. Of course, put a bad driver in either car, and the results will be reversed.
Charcoal leather seats
Not in that order....
Old 06-27-2003, 11:06 PM   #87
stangvette1
Banned

It's still going to be a driver's race. Aerodynamics aren't really a big deal in a quarter mile. Also these cars are geared about the same. They both make an awesome amount of torque at low rpms. They are pretty similar. The only two big differences are the cobra's power edge and the Z06's weight edge.

P.S. I'm sorry about our arguments! PEACE!!!!! We're just two different people with different opinions.
Old 06-28-2003, 12:59 PM   #88
Tekone
AF Regular

Quote:
It's still going to be a driver's race. Aerodynamics aren't really a big deal in a quarter mile. Also these cars are geared about the same. They both make an awesome amount of torque at low rpms. They are pretty similar. The only two big differences are the cobra's power edge and the Z06's weight edge.

P.S. I'm sorry about our arguments! PEACE!!!!! We're just two different people with different opinions.
Charcoal leather seats
Not in that order....
Old 06-28-2003, 04:41 PM   #89
yojcbeast
AF Newbie

for the v6 nissan guy, I think one of the best v6s ever produced was the Ford SHO, in 1990 a 3 liter engine pushed 220 hp. Now that's power!
Old 06-28-2003, 06:44 PM   #90
TatII
AF Fanatic

but ford dind't make that motor, yamaha did. and the 5 speed maxima during that time was still faster then the SHO

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons