Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 11:59 AM   #1
MWheels
AF Newbie

Aftermarket Suspension

I was curious if anyone knew of a quality aftermarket suspension system for the 330xi. I am considering getting one, only if I can make it a fair share tighter and snugger. Also, does anyone know how much the "M sport Steering wheel" option is. I love the feel of that wheel, and if its under $600, I might considering getting it. Thanks.:bandit:
Old 02-28-2002, 01:08 PM   #2
jprhodes
AF Newbie

Good timing with your question. I just had an H&R coil over put into my 330xi on Monday, picked the car up on Tuesday. As far as I know, it's the only 3rd party suspension option for the xi models. Dinan does not have one yet.

I had the car lowered about 1.5", so it's about .8 inches lower than the standard 3 series sedan now. It looks great. Handling-wise, the steering is much more responsive -- you really feel it moving between lanes in traffic, and the car is much flatter in turns and when cornering. Where before I was always anticipating the lean as I'd head into a turn, now I'm unaware of any roll. Without new sway bars -- there aren't any on the market for the xi yet as far as I could find -- the wheels still can move pretty independently of each other. You notice it when you're going over pot holes on one side and not on the other or when you cross ridges in the road but are not perfectly perpendicular to them. From a comfort point of view, you definitely get thrown around a little bit when you're going over really bad roads -- we have a lot of them here in Boston, but it's not harsh. The bumps aren't sharp, the car just moves with them as the suspension can no longer absorb all of the movement.

All in all, a big improvement over the stock suspension. Now I just need new sway bars.

By the way, the list price on the H&R's is $1499. I got mine on sale for $1199, which is low, and have typically seen them for about $100 off list. Installation including realignment, etc., is about another $400-500.

Feel free to private message me if you want more info.