Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #1
martian1706
AF Newbie

removal of a/c clutch 2001 sable 3.0L dohc advise?

well i posted a tread on here a while back about a noise under the hood... turns out plate on a/c compressor was very loose, drove it one day and it was rubbing on the pulley really bad, causing burning rubber smell and smoke while i was at a drive thru. i pulled over, shut engine down, caused my serpentine belt to come appart cos it was so hot . anywho i currently have the center screw taken out (green arrow on the picture) from the exterior plate of the a/c clutch. and the plate that presses against the pulley that is supposed to be connected to that exterior piece of the electric clutch is broken away. the clutch and pulley assy is too close to the side wall of the engine compartment so i can't get a clear view of what lies in the center of the pulley on the compressor to see how it comes off. i can see the bearings for the pulley and a splined shaft in the middle using a mirror. when i get a chance im going to remove the attaching bolts for the compressor to gain that extra 1/4 inch space that is needed to remove the face plate to gain access to the "nut" that is holding the pulley on. im really not sure what is holding the pulley on to the compressor itself and that is why i am here asking questions... cos if there is a tool i need to purchase i would like to get it now. i have a a/c clutch on its way and i want to be prepared, so i can get the job done asap.... something i did notice that was kinda funny was a ring that also is loose within the pulley, highlighted in red is the outter ring of the bearings and it was floating around in there, thats how i could see the bearings and looked to me like half of them are missing.

Last edited by martian1706; 08-21-2008 at 07:31 AM.
martian1706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:38 AM   #2
martian1706
AF Newbie

Re: removal of a/c clutch 2001 sable 3.0L dohc advise?

got it taken care of just waiting on parts....10 mm socket to remove compressor, snap ring holds the pulley on. accually pretty easy job... had about 1/2 of the bearings missing... amongst other things....
martian1706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
moman406
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to moman406
Re: removal of a/c clutch 2001 sable 3.0L dohc advise?

Martin, I have sent you an email regarding my problems removing the snap ring. I just can't seem to get to it under the fender well.
moman406 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable