Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
JimLing
AF Newbie

Squeak/Chirping Sounds coming from the top of the motor

2002 Mercury Sable the sound is driving me crazy. I had it to the garage but its still making the noise. He changed the fan belt checked the ider pully and the water pump. He has no idea what it is. Anyone have any ideas?
JimLing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
Pootertater
AF Newbie

Re: Squeak/Chirping Sounds coming from the top of the motor

You are not alone. I have a 2003 that does the same thing. Sounds almost as if it is coming from the area where the engine meets the transaxle. Sorry, I havent figured it out either. Hopefully someone out there has the answer...
Pootertater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:36 PM   #3
98SableGS
AF Newbie

I believe this is the camshaft Synchronizer. I changed this on my 98 sable along with the camshaft position sensor. It was showing a code P0340. I replaced both and the code has not come back.
98SableGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
nicks84
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLing
2002 Mercury Sable the sound is driving me crazy. I had it to the garage but its still making the noise. He changed the fan belt checked the ider pully and the water pump. He has no idea what it is. Anyone have any ideas?
My 99 Sable makes that noise as well. Its my pulley though (passengers side), the one on top, I think it the power steering if Im not mistaken. I did investigate it because it was driving me nuts as well, but its been a while. It is DEF the pulley though. It seems it has developed a rust, prolly due to mass amounts of rain, or humidity. Both are abundant (lol). I sprayed it with like WD-40 and it did stop. But its back again. I never bothered to spray it down again though. Perhaps I will. This post just reminded me of how much I hate it.
nicks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:11 AM   #5
de_rader
AF Newbie

Yeah, it's most likely the camshaft synchronizer if the chirping sound is on the driver's side. You can buy one off rockauto. It's funky finding it in the parts list. Listed somewhere non-intuitive. I believe it's under Ignition -> Camshaft Position Sensor -> MOTORCRAFT Part # DA2089 {#F8DZ12A362AA}. Make sure you line up the new one the exact same as your old one. Mark where the old one is with a permanent marker (there's a tab bent up which spins around and trips the position sensor). Mark on both sides of that tab. Be careful when putting the new one in. I think it'll spin past your marks so you have to offset a bit when dropping it in. And don't forget to oil it well before installation!

~Joe
de_rader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:53 AM   #6
rustysurfsa
AF Newbie

Sometimes if you do not tighten your belts tight enough they will slip and make annoying chirpping sounds because they are not tight enough to spin everything. I've see this a lot! and I mean a lot tighten those belts.
rustysurfsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
de_rader
AF Newbie

True, look for the simpler explanation first. I know with my engine it was definitely the cam synchro, though.
de_rader is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable