Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Expedition
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 11:16 AM   #1
jh2301
AF Newbie

Exclamation '99 Intermittent Starting issues - gas/spark?

I bought my '99 5.4L EBauer new from the same dealer that is trying to diagnose this starting issue. 80k miles later, we have loved this truck...until now.

In the last 8 weeks, in a primarily cold engine, first start of the day scenario, turning the key results in a solid, turning over of the engine without starting like it doesn't have any gas. Or perhaps no spark?

This has happened about 10 times and we have taken it to the dealer 3 times (one tow) for inspection and diagnosis. Each time, the mechanic/dealer cannot duplicate the issue and no trouble codes exist. It of course starts for them every time they try.

It doesn't seem to have any consistency regarding time of day, weather (temp, rain, etc.) Mostly happens in our garage/driveway, but has happened in the shopping mall parking lot after a couple hours of sitting. It does consistently frustrate my wife which of course has its secondary impact on the family.

I have checked fuses, listened for fuel pump (seems OK), replaced the fuel filter, made certain it was firmly in PARK, tried starting in Neutral, etc. With no regularity, if left alone and tried again several hours later the truck will fire up and then no signs of trouble for a week. Then, back to no gas or no spark scenario.

The dealer has ruled out anti-theft, starter relay, misfires, coil/plug/boot-worn or wet, vacuum leaks, MAS sensor, etc because trouble codes would exist or the starter wouldn't work at all in those cases. Each time it occurs there is no Chk Engine light and all other lights and accessories seem to be operating fine - just no engine start.

The dealer at last wants to replace the fuel pump for $750 with only 60-70% certainty that will fix it. I mentioned the IACV to them upon guidance from this forum, but dealer was not confident that this could cause the behavior I have described.

Not getting a lot of confidence from the dealer at all - this forum has more information then they have experienced. If the fuel pump cost less or I felt that Ford had a clue what was really going on here - I would just replace it.

Any guidance on getting this fixed and becoming a delighted Ford truck owner again would be greatly appreciated. Of course reliable transport for the wife and kids is a priority.

Thank you in advance for any replies and for the terrific contributions on this forum.
John
jh2301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:11 AM   #2
branden0502
AF Newbie

Re: '99 Intermittent Starting issues - gas/spark?

i had similar issue's with my '00. i replaced my IACV and it fixed everyhting. It should only be arou 40-50$. and it takes 20 min to replace.
branden0502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:20 PM   #3
jh2301
AF Newbie

Re: '99 Intermittent Starting issues - gas/spark?

After too many months of frustrating trial and error and a couple tows (once the Expy started up when the tow truck arrived - yeah, you pay for that one too). So a test showed the #6 coil was leading to misfire and with the time right for a tuneup, replaced the #6 coil and all 8 plugs. I was hoping that perhaps that was the culprit. A week later, starting problem continued.

The good news and I am now comfortable sharing it with the forum, a new $35 crank sensor has resolved the problem. Bad sensor, no fuel to go with the spark. Tuned up, 4 new tires - good for another 80,000!
jh2301 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Expedition