Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Expedition
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 04:35 PM   #1
2000exped
AF Newbie

turning problem

hello everyone I have a question I hope someone can help me with...I have a 2000 expedition ... when I make tight turns or even turn into a parking place the front wheels seem to get sorta stuck and it makes a growling noise then a pop and its free again...sometimes I almost cant make the turn because it seems like I have to give it full throtle almost.and as far as U turnes forget it sometimes .and it most of the time switches into 4x4 after this happens...I noticed it when I got the suv in early spring then the problem faded away in the warmer summer months ,now that it has been cold and rainy again the problem is back...not all the time and not everytime but now more frequent then ever...I have new tires (as the ford dealer suggested it could be )not fixed ....someone please help????
2000exped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 07:56 PM   #2
2000exped
AF Newbie

Re: turning problem

28 views and no ideas......?Help...WOW what the h@#% is this forum for really glad I joined?????? Could my caliper be sticking??? anything a shot in the dark even ....

Last edited by 2000exped; 10-31-2005 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:53 PM   #3
~manuel~
AF Enthusiast

Re: turning problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000exped
hello everyone I have a question I hope someone can help me with...I have a 2000 expedition ... when I make tight turns or even turn into a parking place the front wheels seem to get sorta stuck and it makes a growling noise then a pop and its free again...sometimes I almost cant make the turn because it seems like I have to give it full throtle almost.and as far as U turnes forget it sometimes .and it most of the time switches into 4x4 after this happens...I noticed it when I got the suv in early spring then the problem faded away in the warmer summer months ,now that it has been cold and rainy again the problem is back...not all the time and not everytime but now more frequent then ever...I have new tires (as the ford dealer suggested it could be )not fixed ....someone please help????
it cant switch into 4x4 by itself. you have to manually turn the knob in order for the 4x4 to engage. it sounds like the prblem is not in the brakes but in the "self engaging" 4x4. if 4x4 is engaged in dry pavement then it will cause binding in the front end that makes it feel like the brakes are being applied.im not very familiar with 4x4 systems though i believe the 4x4 selector knob is an input to a GEM module,not much else i can tell you
~manuel~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:32 PM   #4
2000exped
AF Newbie

yes it does switch into 4x4 after it feels the resistance a4wd is automatic 4 wheel drive ..not all time 4 wheel drive (like a jeep).so when it feels a wheel slip or stuck it is made to go into 4x4 ...atleast thats what ford dealer told me..when it does it I turn the little switch to 4x4 then back to a4wd and its back to normal...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Expedition