Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 09:58 AM   #1
Ladysmoker
AF Newbie

Hard starting Caddy

I recently was given a 1984 Cadillac Fleetwood with 56714 miles on it. The car is in excellent condition due to it being in the southwest for 24 years.
Now the car has been transported to Chicago, and I have a problem with it starting in the morning. Oh and excuse me I'm a woman, so I don't know the first thing about cars.
Anyway in the morning, and especially after the car sits for a few days, I have to constantly pump the gas pedal to get it started, and I am afraid one morning I'm going to flood it. It usually takes between 5 and 10 minutes of turning the engine over and lots of pumping to get it started, then the rest of the day sometimes it starts right up, and other times I have to pump it quite a few times, but not like in the morning.
I have been told that the fuel pump is draining back to the tank, thus leaving the carb empty in the morning. Any suggestions????
Ladysmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 06:49 PM   #2
Antiburn
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Antiburn
Re: Hard starting Caddy

I have the same problem, but its usually only 1 pump of the gas to get it going. Since our cars are carburated its a much different starting method then fuel injected. I realize that you dont know what carburated or fuel injected are but to breifly explain it carburated is better some cases, but bad in others, like starting up. Let me think about your problem and Ill get back.
Antiburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 11:25 AM   #3
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

In '84 there were both fuel injected and carbureted cars. Your mechanic's suggestion makes sense for a fuel injected car, but not a carbureted car.......but you mention that the car has a carburetor.

If you don't know the engine type, just give us the 5th and 6th digits of the cars VIN number, located on the drivers side of the dashboard by the windshield. I can tell you more with that information,
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 09:09 AM   #4
Ladysmoker
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Hard starting Caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiburn
I have the same problem, but its usually only 1 pump of the gas to get it going. Since our cars are carburated its a much different starting method then fuel injected. I realize that you dont know what carburated or fuel injected are but to breifly explain it carburated is better some cases, but bad in others, like starting up. Let me think about your problem and Ill get back.
I know for sure that it is not fuel injected, and this morning it is cold and damp out side and I just got in the house from trying to start it, I think this morning I flooded it, it sounds like it wants to start, but won't. I even tried holding the gas pedal to the floor, and it just cranks ok but will not start. I did smell gas when I got out to go back in the house. I was trying to start it for about 10 minutes. I will let it sit for a while and go out later to try it again.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:22 AM   #5
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

carburetors hold a bit of fuel in the float bowl, so a bad fuel pump cannot cause the float bowl to become empty.
I would suggest the choke is not closing enough when cold, or you have old and worn ignition components (cap, rotor, wires, spark plugs)
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 03:13 PM   #6
cadillacmike
AF Newbie

1984 was either the last year for RWD on the Fleetwoods or the first year of the second downsizing and conversion to FWD. If you have a RWD, its probably has a carb, if you have a FWD, it is definately fuel injected. To further confuse matters when they did this, Cadillac made a FWD Fleetwood, and renamed the Fleetwood Brougham to Brougham, what a bunch of dumbasses. They corrected this in 1993 , it only took them 9-10 years. Then the same fools discontinued the Fleetwood after 1996 so they could make more chevy trucks Now they are converting everything back to RWD

If you have a carb, it might need 2, 3, 4, or 5 pumps of the gas pedal after stting more than 24 hours, but that should be all. I strongly suspect a sticking choke. I had a bad choke on my 1970, and cold starting was a b!tch. Even after rebuilding the carb, the choke shaft was still binding. Here's how to check. After a night sitting, open up the hood, remove the air cleaner top and look at the carb, you should have two choke plates and they should both be open i.e., sticking up and down. Go inside the car and press the gas pedal to the floor twice not too fast and release it. Then go look at the choke plates. They should now have shut. If they didn't yoen your choke is sticking from who knows where, could be the spring, the plate shaft, the linkage. Try wiggling the linkage a little, it's usually on the passenger side. You can also try pulling off the throttle (that's the lower plates, which you can't see. The gas pedal controls these and it's on the drivers side and should be a long rod that connects with a linkage to the carb. Move it back to free up some cams (that sit on the other side and don't want to move unless the throttle is moves part way), and then try to move the choke plates. If you're lucky, they will close for you.

If this works, then the car should start. If you can get through this,,then you probably need a serious carb cleaning , 2 cans of gumout spray all over the carb, plus 2 bottles in the tank. That MIGHT clean things up enough, then again you might need the carb rebuilt. There should be a carb shop in your city that can do this for around $100.00.
Good luck and let us know how hings turn out.
cadillacmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:41 PM   #7
uummm
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to uummm

i have an 83 fleetwood and its a rwd, i have throttle body though, i have never had trouble getting it started when it is cold and it usually only takes one or two pumps of the pedal if it is hard to start, try turning the engine over first and while its turning then press the pedal, if its throttle body, it should start right up, if its a carburated motor, then i dont know much about what to tell you other than the choke may be sticking or it may need adjusted, maybe the floats in the bowls arent working properly and its getting too much gas. try a tune up as well, if it has been a while plugs may be fouled or wires may be weak. that can also cause hard starts. i would imagine that you have the 4.1 in it and i do beleive that those are throttle body, thats another from of fuel injection. although being that it was in warm weather, i couldnt tell you why the choke would be sticking unless it simply wasnt really used being that its warm. let us know how it works out.
uummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:07 PM   #8
Twitch1
AF Enthusiast

Whenever I have obtained a new (new to me) vehicle I automatically go through a complete tune up, oil change, transmission fluid change, radiator flush and ALL filters (including fuel filter) replaced. This I would do if there were no extended warranty and I had no history of repair on the car.

Tune up would include new spark plug wires, cap, rotor, plugs and timing of engine. All belts and hoses replaced too. When you do all that you're not later guessing if/when any of it was done. It's costs yes but is great peace of mind.

Did the car sit dormant before you got it for any appreciable time? If so look for deposits from gas tank inside corrosion that migrated through the fuel system and to the carb.

The best way to solve this for you is to ask friends and relatives who their mechanics are and would they recommend them. Having a competent, honest mechanic is as important as having a good doctor.
1996 El Dorado Touring Coupe

There is no substitute for cubic inches
Twitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 07:38 AM   #9
BallaKoa
AF Newbie

I'm having almost the exact same problem with my cadillac. I just bought a 1990 Brougham De Elegance with the 5.0 L carburetated. I just can't get the damn thing started period when cold outside. When I try to start it I don't even really hear it trying to crank, more like just some clicks but I have radio, power antenna and healights and etc. I'll give the pedal a few pumps then try to start then I'll give it like 10 and it still doesn't want to come alive. Money is very tight, what is the cheapest and most likely route I should go.
BallaKoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:52 AM   #10
Ladysmoker
AF Newbie

Do what I do, pump pump pump, and smoke alot of cigarettes. Money is tight for me to. I have dumped alot of money into this car, and nobody I have taken it to seems to know what the problem is. I just live with it. I crank it and pump at the same time, and usually it will start after a while. Just don't let it get the better of you. Don't give up!

Amanda
Old 02-28-2005, 08:11 PM   #11
uummm
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to uummm

well balla, your caddi sounds like you need a new battery or starter, just because your radio and lights and stuff work doesnt mean the battery is good, unless you got good lights, then its probably the starter or the starter solenoid, dont know what to tell you to try first, but just take it up to advanced auto or auto zone or something if you can get it running and get your battery and starter tested, they do it for free.
uummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 06:08 AM   #12
Antiburn
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Antiburn

Well if you hear a ticking down by your feet that shows that the starter is trying to start the engine but it doesnt have enough juice from the battery. If you wana test your battery yourself right after you turn the car off get a volt meter and put it on there. it should read about 12.0-12.6. Now with the car on put the positive wire from the volt meter on the back of the alternater and one on the ground battery. It should also read the same as the battery. If your batterys reading 11 or even 10 volts then you need a new battery. If your alternaters showing less then 12 your battery isnt getting charged. The most likely case for you is old battery.
Antiburn is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > General Discussion