Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Expedition
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 12:31 AM   #1
jen7547
AF Newbie

Unhappy '99 keeps stalling

my '99 keeps stalling. normally after it been sitting all night. it won't start and continue to run unless you keep giving it gas. I have stalled out slowing down, backing up, waiting at lights, etc if i don't keep giving it gas at the same time. took it to a garage they did a check on it and found nothing wrong and said they could not recreate the problem. i continue to have the problem though, but not all the time. any ideas?
jen7547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 03:45 PM   #2
rivguy
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to rivguy
Re: '99 keeps stalling

Iac
Old 09-28-2004, 10:43 PM   #3
Curt Horton
AF Newbie

Get rid of it!!!! Our 2000 Expedition caught fire in our garage on 7/23/04 and burned our home. Two weeks later a 1999 Expedition kept stalling on the way home (acted like it was running out of gas) and it caught fire in the garage at 2 am. the next morning. The 99's and 2000's are firestarters. Curt
Curt Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 07:43 AM   #4
expodicious
AF Newbie

This happened to my '99 Expedition also. Turned out to be the idle control sensor (I think that is what it is called).
expodicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 10:06 PM   #5
eagle3bre
AF Newbie

My expedition is doing the same thing, the dealership said it is the Idle Air control, hope this helps. Sabrina
eagle3bre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 08:09 PM   #6
joe_charles
AF Newbie

jen did you ever find out what was wrong?

I'm having the same problem with my 99. I have about 75k miles... I don't think I'll try to replace the Idle speed control, looks hard to get to. but don't want to sound to stupid when I take it to the shop
joe_charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 11:29 PM   #7
jen7547
AF Newbie

not yet. have been dealing with it since it doesn't happen all the time. don't know anything about this idle speed control thing, so will probably look into it. about u taking yours in to a garage, like i said before i took mine in and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. will probably take it to the guy who figured out about electrical problems caused by water in the fuse box, he figured it out when the ford dealership couldn't. i'll keep u advised of what i find out. let me know what u find out thanks.
jen7547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 04:35 PM   #8
dxrflyboy
AF Regular

The idle air control valve (IAC or IACV) is usually the culprit with an intermittent idle problem. Sometimes you have to roll the dice and replace it, which usually cures the problem.
dxrflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 07:43 AM   #9
txpoetx
AF Newbie

Thumbs up I fixed mine

I fixed mine yesterday. It was the idle air control valve. I picked one up at Oreilly for $39.99. took me about an hour to replace only because it took 55 minutes for me to figure out how to get the bolts off of the existing unit. It is facing AWAY from you (another brilliant FORD idea) in the engine compartment. The lower bolt does not leave you a lot of room to manuever to get to it. I went out and bout an $8 angled bolt adapter that I couldn't even use I ended up just using the 8mm socket with a 90 degree L shapped socket arm. (not a very common part, but it came in my socket set) a socket wrench will not fit.

The old one looked nasty so I'm not surprised it was broken. Replacing it also seems to have remidied why my car lurches when going from R into D. I don't know how/why. I don't ask. It runs like new for the moment.
txpoetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 10:36 AM   #10
joe_charles
AF Newbie

Ok.... finally took mine in.... guess what......the Idle speed control was bad. $68 for part & $68 for labor, and $89 for diag. I should have just gone in and told them to replace the ISC and don't run the diag.

Thanks for everyones input
Joe
joe_charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 12:09 PM   #11
jason_marshall1
AF Newbie

I just fixed a similar symptom yesterday. My issue started when I had to open the accelerator before the engine would start in cold weather. Once the engine warmed up a bit, it ran fine. This was the case until Monday when it would not start when warm. After chasing vacuum lines and ensuring no pvc/ egr leaks, I tested the Idle Air Control Valve. It was stuck closed. After a little carb cleaner and prying it open, the engine began to start just fine. After ensuring this was the root cause, I replaced it for $54 (napa). Replacing the valve was not as difficult as I expected; less than ten minutes in and out.

hth
jason_marshall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:55 PM   #12
expe1969
AF Newbie

thanks for the info, i have the same problem on mine 99 expedition and my mechanic had a hunch that it was the Idle
expe1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 04:38 PM   #13
akader
AF Newbie

TXpoetx is correct. The same problem with my 98 EB existed and I replaced the Idle Control valve. It is located near the rear of the engine on top near the firewall. It is a pain in the butt to get to and replace, but it can be done in about an hour.
akader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 11:16 AM   #14
jdsmith75202
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to jdsmith75202

It's a simple fix I had the same problem. Please see my post at http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic344975.htm
jdsmith75202 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Expedition