Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-27-2001, 09:41 AM   #1
jwsherman
AF Newbie

Talking

Did anyone see the Cadillac commercial during the Academy Awards? I think they gave a sneak preview of an undisguised upcoming Catera replacement? If anyone is aware that they have released an official picture, let me know.
jwsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 10:05 AM   #2
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
maybe it has to do something with this:
Quote:
The new 2002 Cadillac Catera has been spied testing on GM's proving grounds. The new Catera will ride on the much-hyped Sigma platform - the rear drive platform that is supposed the cornerstone of Cadillac's future, with the Seville transferring to it in 2003 and the production Evoq using Sigma elements as well. A V-6 displacing around 3.0 liters will be the only power plant for the new Catera; so hopefully either some heavy engine work is bein done or some serious weight saving techniques are being used. Hey, why not both, this Caddy needs it.

BTW, welcome to the board!
Old 03-27-2001, 12:00 PM   #3
jwsherman
AF Newbie

Disappointed

I would like to see GM make a decent product. I've been rooting for GM for a long, long time but they (almost) always seem to let me down. I've recently been test driving cars since I am planning on buying something in the next year. I took a look at the VW Jetta's and the Audi A4, both of which are very impressive. The Jetta is a car that I know GM could build. Remember how miserable VW's were in the recent past? Well, they are no longer loosers. If VW can turn things around quickly, why in world can't GM? My only guess would be the "American Way" of concentrating on the bottom line to such an extent that there is absolute refusal to spend the necessary money on the production of a decent vehicle for fear of loosing some share holder value.

My measuring stick is often based simply on the looks of the interiors of the cars in question. Take a look at a Jetta then go check out the interiors or any American car of similar price point. The differences are dramatic and disappointing. You spend a lot of time inside a car and spend a lot of money on the vehicle, why not spend the necessary money to make it look and feel nice on th inside. The VW is awesome. Ever sat inside a Grand Am? A Mustang? A 300M? They don't hold a candle to it. First impressions are very important to a lot of people. Very disappointing indeed.

Lets hope Cadillac doesn't go cheap when then introduce these new vehicles based on theSigma platform. They cant afford to screw up again.
Old 03-28-2001, 02:05 PM   #4
jwsherman
AF Newbie

Check it out

Anyone who has ever lusted after a Caddy should check out the commerical that I was refering to in my earlier on Cadillac's web site. It almost brings a tear to the eye. You've got to have Quicktime installed on your computer in order to see the movie.

http://www.cadillac.com/homesite.htm

After seeing it again, it definitely does have a sneak peak at a production Cadillac (possibly the Catera replacement) that makes an apperance right after the wedding couple scene. It looks unbelieveable! Maybe they've regained their senses.

Old 03-28-2001, 02:32 PM   #5
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
That Caddy looks VERY nice indeed!
Old 04-06-2001, 08:56 AM   #6
driveitloveit
AF Newbie

The car in the commercial is the Evoq there is one in disneys EPCOT Center, also it was in the Oct 2000 car and driver, car looks sweet. If you get the chance to go to EPCOT look for it.

driveitloveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2001, 12:43 PM   #7
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
I heard the V6 will be about 3L, bu there is supposed to be a supercharged version :frog: in the works with 300+ hp. That would be nice. AWD should be an option, and it should look quite stunning and be an excellent car, very, very, excellent. Of course, they could f*** up .
I agree, the Europeans have always been good at making the little things, the important thing seem very nice. That is why they can be expensive with fairly small kit levels, the quality is so good.

I am personally looking forward to the catera, and can't wait for the 300hp, 4 wheel drive version (expect it a year after the originals introduction.:smoka:
Old 04-09-2001, 11:59 PM   #8
enzo@af
Old Mod

Send a message via ICQ to enzo@af Send a message via AIM to enzo@af
Yes, that is the Evoq. It has a supercharged northstar (4.2 litre) V8 that puts out 405 hp and 385 (?) ft lbs of torque! It's incredible. It's somwhat heavy though, and that puts 0-60 in just under 5 seconds. Still, it's not a race car, it's a luxury, sports, roadster. I'm not sure how AWD will factor in to it, but I had heard that AWD was an integral part of the Sigma platform, so it's a definite possibility.

Personally, I love this car. It's nice to see America putting up some competition for the 360 modena, Porsche Turbo, BMW Z8.... All we really have now is the Z06, but that lacks much luxury, and the Cobra R which is completely stripped. It's a great car for the rich, retired guy looking for plenty of fun matched with lots of luxury. I mean, what else do you expect from cadillac? It's got night vision, I'd imagine it will have onstar, or and it's just gorgeous! Kudos to GM.

Cadillac has done a wonderful thing with the styling. It's futuristic looking, like so many concepts seem to be (either ultra-futuristic or retro), but it's not ugly and strange. They've blended a fresh design with todays heritige.
Old 04-10-2001, 12:00 AM   #9
enzo@af
Old Mod

Send a message via ICQ to enzo@af Send a message via AIM to enzo@af
Supercars.net lists it as RWD....but I rarely trust their statistics.
Old 04-10-2001, 01:51 PM   #10
Lizard King
AF Enthusiast

It will be rear wheel drive, and I'm glad.

I love the car, I hope to see Cadillac as 'standard of the world' again with the most glamorous cars in the world.
Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 03:47 PM   #11
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
It should be RWD, but it will have an AWD option, perhaps not until the second year, though.
I agree, I hope Caddie to be elevated to the standard of the world again
Old 04-16-2001, 11:07 PM   #12
jwsherman
AF Newbie

Undisguised for everyone to see

If you're interested in the looks of the new Catera replacement, check out this web site and tell me what your opinion of it is. I think it looks great.:bandit:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=8563

I got this little tidbit of information from autoextremist.com. They're highly critical of the American industry and offer some insightful commentary. Its an interesting read for any auto enthusiast.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > General Discussion