Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter Bravo is the Australian vesion, Bounty the New Zealand version and Drifter the South African version.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 08:09 PM   #1
ricecricket
AF Newbie

86 B 2000 smokes like its on fire

Why does my 86 b2000 smoke for about 5 minutes when you first start it?It looks like its on fire. But it still runs good.
Its a stock 86 cab plus 2.0 that i bought for $400 with a cracked head. It had been sitting for 6 years when i got it so there is a some scarring on the cylinder walls where the pistons sit for so long in one spot.
Put another head on it and replaced the valve seals.
A new water pump.
Rebuilt the carb and put a new mixture control solenoid in it.
Had to replace the fuel sending unit.
Had to replace the key switch.
Complete tune up with all new filters and everything.
I still need the window chanel rubber that keep0s the window on track because they only roll down halfway and then get in a bind. The rubber down in the door is all dry rotted and swelled up. I really need a new gas tank because this one is so rusty on the inside but im gonna try to get by with it for a while.
Ive ended up with just over $1500 in this thing and now it smokes so bad for about 5 minutes or so when you first start it that i couldnt give it away.
I hate to give up on it because the body is perfect and i got it from the original owner with 120,000 miles on it. But Im getting fed up with it and getting to much in it.
If i could stop the smoke I would be happy
ricecricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 12:36 AM   #2
papiichuulo
AF Premium User

Re: 86 B 2000 smokes like its on fire

cracked head? very possible that it was overheated. If that was the case, and then is sat for so long, it might need some work on the block. It sounds though as oil is seeping into your cylinders as it sits overnight. That is usually a sign of bad valve stem seals, or a cracked or warped head. Did you have the head magna-fluxed before you put it on?
papiichuulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #3
ricecricket
AF Newbie

Ok I figured out where the smoke is coming from. Oil is running straight out the exhaust when the engine is running. it has a new head gasket and valve seals. So do you think the head is warped or something? I did not have it pressure tested or magnafluxed because i was garanteed it was a good head.
ricecricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
hocbj23
AF Regular

Sounds like u have one or more bad oil rings,allowing oil to escape out the pipe and also causing all the oil smoke.Sounds like complete overhaul time.BJ
hocbj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:29 PM   #5
toddluck69
AF Newbie

bad valve guides.you replaced the valve guide seals but i didnt see you had the valve guides redone
toddluck69 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter