Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
gujuchokra
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to gujuchokra
Unhappy 2000 Toyota Camry Rebuilt Transmission Computer Problem

Hello,

I just got my A140E transmission rebuilt on the 2000 Camry I4. The engine light came on immediately the next day. When I took it back they checked for the code and it said that the shift solenoid E5 was the problem and they replaced it again. The light came back on again the next day, and then I took it back to the mechanic to see what the problem was now. He ran the code checker again and found that the same code kept popping up. He kept the car to check the problem in detail on 8/5/09. When I called him on 8/7/09 to check for the update he told me that the computer had to be replaced or had to be flashed again.

Question: Is this true that when you get your transmission rebuilt, the
computer needs to be changed or flashed with new program or is
he just trying to make money off me? Should he be responsible for
the work since he already charged me to rebuild the transmission?

I would appreciate if someone can respond to it promptly since the car is still with the mechanic.

Thanks in advance
gujuchokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: 2000 Toyota Camry Rebuilt Transmission Computer Problem

Sorry for the tardy reply. I have had a transmission replaced with a rebuilt transmission and not had subsequent problems. This should be addressed in the FSM or in a Field Service Bulletin (updates or corrections to FSMs) if it is a real problem.

Any charges should have been covered in the original transmission replacement charge. No way the computer should need to be replaced.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
jdmccright
The RustBuster

I'll agree with Brian. The only time there are communication issues between the tranny and ECM is when there is a mismatch of parts, a connector is faulty, or a wire has been damaged. A failure of an electrical component (certainly not a solenoid) would NOT force a reprogramming or replacement of the ECM. The solenoid is failing because it is unable to do its job due to an incorrect part or something is not allowing it to move freely. My guess is that the valve assembly controlled by that solenoid is stuck or not rebuilt correctly. He's just too lazy to pull the valve body off again and do it right or wants more money to fix a problem he created. Good luck!
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
gujuchokra
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gujuchokra View Post
Hello,

I just got my A140E transmission rebuilt on the 2000 Camry I4. The engine light came on immediately the next day. When I took it back they checked for the code and it said that the shift solenoid E5 was the problem and they replaced it again. The light came back on again the next day, and then I took it back to the mechanic to see what the problem was now. He ran the code checker again and found that the same code kept popping up. He kept the car to check the problem in detail on 8/5/09. When I called him on 8/7/09 to check for the update he told me that the computer had to be replaced or had to be flashed again.

Question: Is this true that when you get your transmission rebuilt, the
computer needs to be changed or flashed with new program or is
he just trying to make money off me? Should he be responsible for
the work since he already charged me to rebuild the transmission?

I would appreciate if someone can respond to it promptly since the car is still with the mechanic.

Thanks in advance
UPDATE ON THE CAR:

Correction on the original post, They said when I took it back originally and after the rebuilt and the CEL came on, they replaced the Solenoid #1 and #2. The mechanic told me to get it checked by the dealers and I did on 8/13/09 and same P0770 code popped up and they told me the same thing. I took it back to him and he replaced Solenoid #3 on my dime since he said that it's not really part of the transmission rebuild. I requested that he save me the receipt and the replaced part. When I went to go pick up the car on 8/14/09, the light kept popping up after driving a few miles. Since I needed the car over the weekend I took it back on Monday 8/17/09 and he still has it and is telling me that the computer might be bad. I just checked the replies today, 8/20/09 so I'll take those to him and see what he says about that.

Thanks for your replies, and I'll keep you guys posted on the status.

Thank you,
Kenny
Old 08-20-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
gujuchokra
AF Newbie

Question Re: 2000 Toyota Camry Rebuilt Transmission Computer Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R. View Post
Sorry for the tardy reply. I have had a transmission replaced with a rebuilt transmission and not had subsequent problems. This should be addressed in the FSM or in a Field Service Bulletin (updates or corrections to FSMs) if it is a real problem.

Any charges should have been covered in the original transmission replacement charge. No way the computer should need to be replaced.
Where do I find the FSM or the Field Service Bulletin?
Old 08-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #6
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

The FSM is linked in a sticky post at the top of this forum. The FSB are found at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
2000 , camry , computer , rebuilt , transmission
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista