Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 06:54 PM   #76
OoNismoO
AF Enthusiast

if both stock then i think wrx vs srt-4 is the better comparison, cause ive read in some articles that the wrx was able to edge out the srt-4 in the 1/4, but then after that the srt-4 passes it. if you did srt-4 with stage upgrade, then it would be better to compare it to the evo, or sti. the evo will definately beat the original stock srt-4.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:20 PM   #77
92teggsr
AF Regular

Re: Re: Srt4 Vs Wrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrrnuttt
Just as I know of stock EVO's running mid-14's, and even 15's at the track, stock 2003 SRT-4's have managed 13.7's on the stock tires.
I have never heard of times anywhere near that for a new EVO.
All the times I've ever seen for an EVO where below 13.5.
I'm not just basing this on motortrend either. This is from actual people that have raced it. I do believe though that magazines are a good source because they do basically the same thing we would do if we had those kind of cars. Also any magazine you look at the EVO does the 1/4 mile just about 1 second faster than the SRT-4.
IMO it's not a drivers race unless one of them has never driven a stick before. I stand by my oppinion that the EVO will take the SRT-4 in a race everytime.
Short Shifter
Eibach Suspension
17's

91 Honda Accord LX
Old 11-14-2003, 08:59 AM   #78
carrrnuttt
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Re: Srt4 Vs Wrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92teggsr
I have never heard of times anywhere near that for a new EVO.
All the times I've ever seen for an EVO where below 13.5.
I'm not just basing this on motortrend either. This is from actual people that have raced it. I do believe though that magazines are a good source because they do basically the same thing we would do if we had those kind of cars. Also any magazine you look at the EVO does the 1/4 mile just about 1 second faster than the SRT-4.
IMO it's not a drivers race unless one of them has never driven a stick before. I stand by my oppinion that the EVO will take the SRT-4 in a race everytime.
That car in MT was a ringer, plain and simple.

In case you don't know, I lurk at evolutionm.net, and am a member at SRTforums.com.

I have yet to see a stock run by an EVO come close to a 13.08, and even then, they are track prepped (stuff taken out, tire-pressures played with, etc.).

As for the really slow times I reported from EVO's usually come from the drivers. I have also seen them reported by the domestic track-rats that have nothing to lose by lying about it.

Here's one from an owner himself:
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...threadid=42731

And another one:
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...threadid=42794

They got 14.09 @ 95.4mph and 14.366 @ 96.28mph. SRT-4's that get those times usually trap about 100+. That tells you that SRT's would be chasing them down at this point, and anything further, would be leaving them.

Here's a lightly-modded EVO run at almost sea-level with a 1.85 60-ft:
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...threadid=44548

13.16 @ 104.24...if he can bring the 60 down to 1.7, he might get a 13-flat, but these times/traps are achieved with abusing the hell out of that AWD. I think we can all agree that a car's true power is better estimated by the trap-speed than the E.T.

Here's a stock 2003 SRT run:
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...threadid=21933

14.01 @ 100mph

Another one:
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...threadid=22064

13.7 @ 100mph with a 2.079 60-ft.

And another one:
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...threadid=20863

14.3 @ 104mph

Don't forget, these are all 2003's with about 10-20hp LESS than 2004's.

I am not saying all these as some fan-boy either, as I joined-up in SRTforums to keep some of the kids in there in check, as some of them tend to think that the SRT is the fastest ever. I didn't believe the EVO kills either, until I actually bucked-up and learned about the SRT.

Don't get me wrong, if given a free choice, I'd pick the EVO anyday, but if I had to finance a car, the SRT would be my choice, as it saves me considerable money.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:56 AM   #79
SkylineUSA
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SkylineUSA
Ya, but in the end its still a Neon. Sorry, but until Dodge changes the body style, which I wish they would, I would spen the extra cash for the EVO.

Bang for the buck the Neon gets the nod.

R32 GTR w/351w .020 forged, 8.9:1, PTK T76, Turbosmart 40 BC & 45 WG, Tial 40 BV, AFR 205s 310/245, 228/228 550/550 114 Hydro, 1.7rr, Isky RLs, 4" HKS exhaust, ARC 30x16x4 IC, 8 point cage, C2 gauges, 2 step, C4 3200 stall w/ R Manual & Hurst Ratchet shifter, 17" Panasport G7s, CSU 750 & bonnet, Vic Jr intake, 3.63 gears, Corbeau Carrera seats, Custom wide body, Bomex side skirts and rear 1/4 caps, Tommy Kaira bumper.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:19 AM   #80
Steiner
AF Enthusiast

Re: Srt4 Vs Wrx

"It's still a Neon" is something I guess I'll have to learn to live with. If somebody had told me 5 or 10 years ago that I'd be the proud owner of a Dodge fricken' Neon I would have told them they were off their rocker. I owned a '66 Barracuda in High School and was a "there's no substitute for cubic inches" kind of guy. This SRT-4 has given me an appreciation for the other side of the coin...13-14 second quarter miles and 25+ mpg. The WRX Sti was my first choice once my insurance confirmed my '02 Spec V was a total, but I'm in the middle of planning a wedding right now. The price difference between say the $27.5k EVO, $30k Sti, and $21k SRT-4 is pretty significant, but at this time it's money better spent elsewhere. I don't regret my purchase. The SRT-4 is conversation starter. Good or bad, every car guy seems to have an opinion on it.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:37 AM   #81
LjasonL
Some Guy

Send a message via AIM to LjasonL
Re: Re: Re: Re: Srt4 Vs Wrx

The 13.0 I posted on the last page was got from a search on evolutionm, I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking for the absolute fastest time for a stock EVO on there, I just posted the 1st sub-13.3 I found, which happened to be a 13.0.

I'm not saying anything about which car is a better value (EVO still IMO), I'm just saying the EVO is faster. Given the choice, I'd save money and get an EVO or STi. If I had to stay in the SRT4 price range, I'd get a Mazdaspeed Protege or another Impreza. It has nothing to do with NOT liking the SRT4, the other cars I just like more. If I was handed the keys to an SRT4 I'd be giddy as a schoolgirl (ghey moment of the day over ). I've been trying to convince one of my friends to buy an SRT4, since I'm not gonna get one, this way I at least get to play with it.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:06 PM   #82
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineUSA
Ya, but in the end its still a Neon. Sorry, but until Dodge changes the body style, which I wish they would, I would spen the extra cash for the EVO.

Bang for the buck the Neon gets the nod.
Just because it looks similar to a Neon does not mean that it is just a Neon with a turbo. I happen to think it looks pretty damn good just like the Evo looks a lot like a Lancer. That is like saying oh, it is still a Lance, or oh, its still an Impreza.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:08 PM   #83
SkylineUSA
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SkylineUSA
Steiner,

Thats just it, the car has out of the box speed. It just needs a make over, big time. The look is well outdated, that is all I am saying. IMO

R32 GTR w/351w .020 forged, 8.9:1, PTK T76, Turbosmart 40 BC & 45 WG, Tial 40 BV, AFR 205s 310/245, 228/228 550/550 114 Hydro, 1.7rr, Isky RLs, 4" HKS exhaust, ARC 30x16x4 IC, 8 point cage, C2 gauges, 2 step, C4 3200 stall w/ R Manual & Hurst Ratchet shifter, 17" Panasport G7s, CSU 750 & bonnet, Vic Jr intake, 3.63 gears, Corbeau Carrera seats, Custom wide body, Bomex side skirts and rear 1/4 caps, Tommy Kaira bumper.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:31 PM   #84
RACER D12
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RACER D12
Re: Re: Srt4 Vs Wrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon
Just because it looks similar to a Neon does not mean that it is just a Neon with a turbo. I happen to think it looks pretty damn good just like the Evo looks a lot like a Lancer. That is like saying oh, it is still a Lance, or oh, its still an Impreza.

Ya but Dodge really did not make a big effort to change the look of the SRT. And is the Evo based off the same chassis as the lancer like the SRT shares the same chassis as the Neon?

Lindsey Boost Enhancer, Blitz EBC, Hot Air Intake, Koni Yellows
Old 11-14-2003, 07:20 PM   #85
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Re: Re: Re: Srt4 Vs Wrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER D12
Ya but Dodge really did not make a big effort to change the look of the SRT. And is the Evo based off the same chassis as the lancer like the SRT shares the same chassis as the Neon?
Yes it is. They simply take the same chassis and add new weld points to stiffen them up. Dodge did it with the SRT-4, Mitsubishi did it with the Evo, and Subaru did it with the WRX and STi. It ends up being about 60% different from the original, on the SRT-4 anyhow.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:36 PM   #86
carrrnuttt
AF Fanatic

Here's another story of a stock STi, which we can all agree, is faster than the Evo, against a stock SRT-4. Story is told by the STi owner:
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...threadid=23628
Old 11-14-2003, 11:15 PM   #87
LjasonL
Some Guy

Send a message via AIM to LjasonL
And the STi still pulled away, from a 60 mph roll even. No AWD launch, just a lot of drivetrain loss.

When I see a stock SRT4 pull a 13.5 or quicker, then I'll concede that, in a drag race, it's at least in the same ballpark as an STi or EVO.

And "stage" upgrades aren't stock. They're Mopar parts, they don't come on the car from the factory. They're like TRD parts or Nismo or Ford Racing parts.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:50 AM   #88
Steiner
AF Enthusiast

That guy's SRT-4 is stock. You don't need Stage 1, 2, 3 or anything to powershift. He has...well Stage Zero I guess. Unfortunately those SRT forums can sometimes be a breeding ground for 16 year olds with outrageous misinformation.
Old 11-15-2003, 02:27 AM   #89
92teggsr
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Srt4 Vs Wrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrrnuttt
That car in MT was a ringer, plain and simple.
Is that an assumption or how do you know that ? I hear people say this kind of thing all the time but what are they basing it off of ? Personally I don't believe it but who knows maybe you're right. Maybe you know a guy that works there or something. I for one am still (no matter what anyone says) gonna stick with my previous posts that I believe the EVO is faster and not just based on what I've read but also what I've been told by people that have witnessed them at the track.
Short Shifter
Eibach Suspension
17's

91 Honda Accord LX
Old 11-15-2003, 02:29 AM   #90
fatninja19
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to fatninja19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldelaysionl

And "stage" upgrades aren't stock. They're Mopar parts, they don't come on the car from the factory. They're like TRD parts or Nismo or Ford Racing parts.

But the 04 already come stock with the "stage 1" kit on there. Bigger injectors and slightly more aggressive tuning(I think..). Plus a LSD. Is it a Qualfie unit??

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing