Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: Which is better?
2003 SVT Ford Cobra 75 66.96%
2003 Honda S2000 37 33.04%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 03:04 PM   #136
vortech
AF Enthusiast

clunky T-56

switch the shifter to the 5.0 shifter-----will defintely make it easier to move around that 6 speed.

2001 mustang cobra convertibe
Vortech V-2 SQ blower (10.5psi)
4:10 gears & ford racing throttle body
03 JBA shorty headers + FR500 exhaust
Bassani X-pipe
Kenny Brown IRS level 2 suspension
IRS pinion brace
Kenny Brown K-member & control arms
Carbon Fiber driveshaft
522RWHP / 493RWTQ
Old 12-10-2002, 06:08 AM   #137
venomGTR
AF Newbie

You don't need to rev the hell out of s2000. Drive one. if you can't, look at a dyno graph.... FLAT torque from low revs. They are very easy to launch and drive around town or down the drag strip. Few big lumps of american iron get a flat torque curve without really low peak figures or lack of overall 'grunt'. Remember VTEC gives a cam profile for both low and high revs.
S2000 makes 110 Nm per litre, a good OHV like a LS6 makes around 85Nm per litre, ford quad cams are doing well now though.
So it's is the undisputed king of NA 2 litre cars .... but its still only 2 litres... anything bigger is going to be faster, easier. Its unfair to compare it to cars with engines twice the size. Although many are not that far ahead of the s2000. Anyway if you scaled up a S2000 engine to 5.0 or 5.7 litres it'd make like 700hp and over 450-500lb ft torque, thats how much more efficient the engine is.
Then again the cost of insurance, fuel and servicing... 5 litre mustang.... 2 litre honda.... do i need to comment?

Theres no replacement for displacement but there is something better.... boost... I have a 660 ft lbs ... any questions?
Old 12-10-2002, 06:11 AM   #138
venomGTR
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Self
I'm just trying to figure out how it can have an estimated time of 12.2 with 360 hp and a curb weight of 3600+ lbs...I mean the Corvette Z06 with 405hp is hard to drive to anything better than a 12.4. I mean there's more to a quick time than weight and hp, so I know it's possible, I'm just wondering...
Figures i've seen are around 1440kg or about 3000 lbs, maybe a shade more a shade less. Depends on who you ask.

How about traction? 4WD cars on street rubber hook up like their on slicks
Old 12-10-2002, 07:15 AM   #139
DemonZX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to DemonZX
I agree with street racer...I feel like I'm covered in a thick shroud of dirt after voting for a post 70's FORD.:bandit:

R.I.P. "Mama (my Z)" . . . But now we have the VR-4 #683/2000
"Dude, You fucking passed the test, but just barely, wanna know what you got?...F+......CLICK!"
-Tenacious D(Jack BLack)-
"Official Moron Crew Founder!"
Old 12-10-2002, 12:13 PM   #140
cobraman03
AF Newbie

SHOULD NOT FEEL DIRTY

NO ONE SHOULD FEEL DIRTY FOR VOTING FOR A FORD.THE O3 COBRA IS A NICE CAR AND IS REALLY FAST.THE HONDA IS A NICE CAR BUT FOR WHAT YOU PAY FOR IT ITS NOT A RACE FOR THE MUSTANG.MY CAR TIPS THE SCALES AT 3665LBS. SO ITS NOT LIGHT.IT CAN RUN LOW 12S WITH THE PRO-50 SHIFTER THAT I HAVE AND NOTHING ELSE.IT WILL PULL .91GS IN THE SKIDPAD SO ITS NOT A BAD HANDLING CAR.I AM A FAN OF THE IMPORTS BUT HAVE NOT FOUND ONE THAT FOR THE MONEY IS WORTH BUYING OVER THE COBRA.HEY VENOMGTR HOW MUCH DID YOUR CAR COST?MY CAR DYNOD AT 381HP TO THE WHEELS SO ITS REALLY MAKING 440HP AT THE FLYWHEEL.NOT BAD FOR $34000
Old 12-10-2002, 12:18 PM   #141
DemonZX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to DemonZX
That is why I voted for it. I really have never been a fan of the new Fords. They are gaining respecr in my eye for throwing more power into their machinery as of late.

R.I.P. "Mama (my Z)" . . . But now we have the VR-4 #683/2000
"Dude, You fucking passed the test, but just barely, wanna know what you got?...F+......CLICK!"
-Tenacious D(Jack BLack)-
"Official Moron Crew Founder!"
Old 12-10-2002, 03:11 PM   #142
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

I respect Ford for the fact that they've finally pulled their collective heads out of their collective asses and decided to develop thoroughly modern small cars and performance machines.

HOWEVER! At the moment, only the PAG (Premier Auto Group) has any good ideas in its styling department (Ian McCallum is a genius) and that division is losing money like crazy (Jaguar alone reported a 500+ MILLION dollar loss this year) because of poor marketing and bad product decisions (Jaguar X-type, Lincoln Aviator, purchasing Land Rover, the Jaguar F1 team, canceling the lovely F-Type). In general, Ford is still in trouble.

Their recovery plan isn't too pretty either. Right now, they've teamed up with GM to develop a modern six-speed automatic tranny for front drive sedans.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:32 PM   #143
TerminalVelocity
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TerminalVelocity
GM and Ford are both dying atm, Crystler is still sinking, pulling themselves up some with redesigned trucks and compacts, but overall it looks like the imports are winning here. In my debate though, the cobra still wins hands down. Only thing it lacks is styling, naimly the interior *exactly the same as normal stangs* and how the slight body changes arnt cutting it for me. If I got one, I would make it look like a cobra R

Solid Crew (Circa 2002)
Old 12-12-2002, 08:00 PM   #144
vortech
AF Enthusiast

Cobra doesn't need a new design

thats the mistake ford is about to make. The new Cobra design----is just breath taking----hands down better looking than an 03 Viper-----people think the new Viper looks so great----but its because they are blinded by the horsepower. The new Viper---is a design 'bust'. They need to go back to the 92-94 styling. The Viper is turning into a styling car from the way far future. Its definetely not sexy at all----more importantly---its turning into a car that looks like it has an aftermarket, obnoxious styling kit. the styling on that car needs to return to the 92-94 roots. Car may have power and handling----but definetely, not the taste to match.

Bassani X-pipe
IRS pinion brace
Carbon Fiber driveshaft
522RWHP / 493RWTQ
Old 12-12-2002, 08:16 PM   #145
hakka
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Self
I'm just trying to figure out how it can have an estimated time of 12.2 with 360 hp and a curb weight of 3600+ lbs...I mean the Corvette Z06 with 405hp is hard to drive to anything better than a 12.4. I mean there's more to a quick time than weight and hp, so I know it's possible, I'm just wondering...
There are plenty of guys running very low 12s in their Z06s on www.corvetteforum.com On average, I'd say new drivers run mid-12s, and anyone with any experience runs 12.1-12.3. You have to remember, most magazines test the cars with full tanks, factory spec air in the tires, and no powershifting. A guy on the forum (I can't remember his username) has ripped off quite a few 11.9X sec passes in his bone stock '02. You also have to remember the car tops out at over 170mph, as well as handles and brakes better than many supercars.

There really is no comparison to the Cobra (though it is a great bang for the buck car.)

The S2000 is like a grown-up Miata...fun to drive and not a bad weekender, but it doesn't have the brute force the Cobra does and it looks like a girl's car (IMHO). I still wouldn't mind having either
Old 12-12-2002, 10:27 PM   #146
vortech
AF Enthusiast

wrong weight on the vette

the curb weight on the standard vette is about 3250lbs & the Z06 is about 3156lbs. Defintely not 3,600lbs as has been stated. The Z06 times are prettyoff da hook. I'm sure an experienced shifter can rip off just under 12s. Some of you guys don't take into account that a car's suspension as well as traction---in particluar effectiveness of its differential---have a tremendous effect on what times a car can post as well as its handling ability. The Z06 is easily capable of impressive times with its overall package. With a gear swap----the Z06 easily gets under the 12s

Bassani X-pipe
IRS pinion brace
Carbon Fiber driveshaft
522RWHP / 493RWTQ
Old 12-13-2002, 09:00 AM   #147
Cbass
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cbass Send a message via AIM to Cbass Send a message via MSN to Cbass Send a message via Yahoo to Cbass
Yeah, Ford always puts gears that are waaay too tall on their RWD cars... swap em out for 4.10s and you'll see much better times

Same with the Z06, it's geared for 180+mph! Compare that to a Skyline, then match the gear ratios and see where you get.

Boost is not a replacement for displacement, and it's not better. There's absolutely no reason why you can't have both, and you'll get a lot more power supercharging a 6 liter V8 than you would supercharging a 2.6 liter inline 6.

Connor - Porsche Nazi since 2001, VW defiler since 2004

This here's a Fabrication forum!
My lugnut requires more torque than your LS1 makes.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:53 AM   #148
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Re: .

Quote:
Originally posted by DeViL

Best keep dreaming Dodge doesn't exactly seem interested in making the Charger again. Yeah there was a concept but that didn't go too far. I have a feeling they are going to make something though with that new Hemi.
Yeah, they brought back the RWD platform again for a reason. All the sedans will have an option for that beast later next year. I think there will be a revival of one of the three big ones Charger, Challenger, Cuda. I can't wait to see what they pull out.

I can't wait to see the production GTOs. Those were one hell of a car. I wonder if they will bring back the Judge?
Old 12-13-2002, 11:37 PM   #149
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

Umm, Polygon? Why would they bring back the nameplate for a Plymouth variant of a Dodge product if they were bringing back said Dodge product? The 'Cuda and the Challenger were the same car underneath. Now, if the line-up went Demon, Challenger, Charger, then it would be correct.

Although I like the idea of it going SRT-4 Neon, Razor, Challenger, Charger.
Old 12-14-2002, 09:38 AM   #150
mirror
AF Newbie

you guys are forgetting that the 03 Cobra is Supercharged V-8, and the 03 S2000 is NA 4cyl. So the cars aren't compareable.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing