Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 01:01 AM   #1
samandiar
AF Regular

Cheap muscle cars

Hello, anyone have any idea what some of the cheapest muscle cars are? I saw a 71 duster for $1250 in a classified ad, dunno how fast it was, just a standard 318.

Anyhoo, I'm looking to get a muscle car, and i have very little money, so are there any decent muscle cars that arent popular for some reason and are cheap?
samandiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 01:43 AM   #2
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Send a message via AIM to -The Stig-
Well, if you saw a Duster for less than $1300 then theres a good bet it's not going to be fast. Probably going to be a beater, and thrashed with a billion miles on it.

But nothing says you can't buy a beater and refurbish it and make it faster than greased lightning.

Cheap muscle car? Well, all Muscle cars these days can be found cheap, you've just gotta have the cash handy and watch carefully. Cause the cheap ones go quick.

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

-The Stig- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 03:21 AM   #3
Musclecarclub
AF Enthusiast

Cheap muscle cars

I agree. Usually, cheap means junk. But every once in a while, a decent one comes up for sale and you have to be ready with the cash. If you want cheap, avoid the popular cars like Chevys and Pontiacs. Stick with the sleepers. Buick and Oldsmobiles are similar to Chevys and Pontiacs for a lot less money. And don't forget Fords (besides Mustangs which are way overpriced). Just keep your eyes open.

Also, remember that mechanical problems can be fixed, but a busted up body or interior is tough to restore.
Modifications: None - Totally stock!

Former owner of:
1969 Buick GS 400 Convertible
Modifications: 430 4bbl. V8 (from a '68 Riviera), Stage 1 spec Carb, headers, 2 1/2" exhaust, transmission shift kit, and column tachometer - to name a few ...
Musclecarclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 08:04 AM   #4
galaxie500fb
AF Newbie

there are a lot of cheap projects to be had if you`re willing to travel. I`m always seeing a mustang here or there for a small sum. Parts are everywhere for these cars which keeps the cost of restoring one a lot cheaper than say a 66 ford galaxie which most have rotted away. I`d stay away from the "rare" fixeruppers. Parts are almost nonexistent and cost a fortune. so unless you have a very large checkbook i`d stick with a vehicle that has parts either currently being reproduced or good parts that could be had in a salvage yard.
galaxie500fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 12:45 AM   #5
fastchevylover
AF Newbie

muscle cars

well i live in cali and cheap muscle cars are a dime a dozen out here but i bought my cars for both under a thousand bucks and they are both in beautiful shape! my chevelle is a 67 SS NO body rust NO bondo With Engine AND Transmission ran strong when i bought it and runs stronger to this day after i put a bbc in it. I bought that for 500$ and the other is a 74 camaro 350sbc but it ran strong with engine and tranny! that i got for 100$. well ran strong until my dad ecided it needed to be "tuned up" today and he ended up taking a hammer to the drivshaft and tranny....so thats gonna be down for a while. But ya bro just keep your eyes open and don't overlook anything itll pay off. oh and don't not look at a car because it "out of you price range" because your a teenager and alot of guys will knock off dollars if your serious about working on the car just let them know you know what your looking for and that your strapped for cash. Keep your eyes open sumpthin good will come along!

my favorite muscle is the first body style GTO, before they got all boxy and ugly. either way their all fast so it doesn't matter. if one of those comesup u can afford snag it itll be worth a bit when your older!
fastchevylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 05:33 PM   #6
Musclecarclub
AF Enthusiast

Parts

Also consider where you will get the parts. Catalogs are great, but you have to pay for shipping, which can get downright expensive. See what kind of salvage yards are nearby and what cars they have in there. Also, try to buy a car with a lot of interchangeable parts with other cars.

Former owner of:
Modifications: 430 4bbl. V8 (from a '68 Riviera), Stage 1 spec Carb, headers, 2 1/2" exhaust, transmission shift kit, and column tachometer - to name a few ...
Old 09-11-2003, 07:41 PM   #7
SuPeRcAr_MaN
AF Fanatic

If you are looking for a bargain, clones can be a pretty good deal. They aren't the real thing, but they are close, and a lot cheaper. For example, I got a Tempest GTO clone for $3k. I've seen real GTOs in the same or worse condition as mine for up to $7,500. Of course miles play a big part in the price, but if you are going to rebuild the engine/tranny miles don't mean too much. And make sure you look at everything on the car when you inspect it. lift the carpets if you can, crawl under the car, start it up, etc. IMO, if that Duster you are talking about is decent, get it, and invest in a 383 (or bigger) engine block.

My Webshots
SuPeRcAr_MaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 01:01 AM   #8
MercCoug
AF Newbie

I think you should get it if, it looks to be in decent condition. I live in utah and I just bought my 67 cougar for $600. It isn't hard to find a part for my car because the mustang is so close and there is a ton of them around here
MercCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 03:56 AM   #9
Musclecarclub
AF Enthusiast

$600?

$600 for a Cougar. Now that's a deal.

Former owner of:
Old 09-14-2003, 10:30 PM   #10
samandiar
AF Regular

damn, yeah, thats a great deal. So, how much would it cost to buy a 383 or some similar powerful engine that is common enough to be cheap? And also, since I am new to this, how would you go about getting the knowledge necessary to fix up cars?
samandiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 04:14 AM   #11
Musclecarclub
AF Enthusiast

The 383 was a common performance engine for MOPAR - but that doesn't mean it will be cheap. Best bet is to pull one from a Junker - you might be able to buy it for a few hundred. Getting old engines to run, however, is tricky business. It is worth it to buy a few books on the subject BEFORE you start buying so you know what you are up against.

Former owner of:
Old 09-16-2003, 12:19 PM   #12
mn80228
AF Regular

Another thing to consider is the cost of parts to fix up a car.

You can build a 68 Camaro a lot cheaper than you can a 68 AMX, just because they are more popular and more people make the parts you will need.
mn80228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 06:46 AM   #13
rav440
AF Enthusiast

Thumbs up

samandiar , check your PM box .
rav440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 08:51 PM   #14
bramra
AF Newbie

wanted

im looking or a cheap dodge charger any year and in any condition but need to be cheap under $1500 email me at bramra_692007@yahoo.com
bramra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 10:12 PM   #15
DeViL
AF Enthusiast

There is this little hot rod dealership in Massaponix, VA (spelling?) where I've seen 66-69 Chevelles go for around $6-10k. And they are in damn good condition too. Lots of good stuff there, 50's Fords with chopped roofs and trick paint jobs, 70's Trans Ams, Camaros, Bel Airs, hot rod Model A's, if I ever decide to buy an old muscle car I'm definately taking a look at what they got.
DeViL is offline   Reply With Quote