Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Chaser
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 07:40 PM   #1
nitrous36
AF Regular

Are Mark IIs and Chasers egible for import to U.S?

Can one be imported and modified to comply with U.S. laws? Are they as difficult to import and convert as Nissan Skylines? And are they as expensive to convert for compliance as the Skylines?
nitrous36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:30 PM   #2
greenjack
AF Newbie

Re: Are Mark IIs and Chasers egible for import to U.S?

I want to know too...
greenjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 12:17 AM   #3
nitrous36
AF Regular

It was awhile ago when I posted that. But no they are not elgible unless a RI proves them elgible for importation and capable of being modified to conform with US standards and will legalize it.

Last edited by nitrous36; 06-25-2005 at 12:46 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:57 AM   #4
rivalbro
AF Newbie

I think this car are the same as the lexus LS400, very similar, so I don't know why its illegal to import it. What do you mean by modifying to the standards? If they say the car is too powerful, then what about all the hot muscles they have? a 16 yr old can drive a 280hp Mustang and he cannot drive a much safer feature (TCS) sedan?
rivalbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 03:33 PM   #5
greenjack
AF Newbie

No it's just an issue of emmisions and crash testing, not power. But, if I had a chaser the TCS would be gone anyway
Old 06-25-2005, 12:53 AM   #6
nitrous36
AF Regular

Yes thats it. Crash safety and emission standards.

Quote:
Posted by greenjack - 06-24-2005 at 04:33 PM
But, if I had a chaser the TCS would be gone anyway.
Right on. Exactly man. The TCS would all ways be off. You know what to do. Take it to an open parking lot or black top and let it rayne supreme across the the pavement.

Last edited by nitrous36; 06-26-2005 at 12:38 AM.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:20 AM   #7
rivalbro
AF Newbie

If you're drifting then yes tcs should be off, but only driving normally you really need tcs because this car is wild even on a little curve without the tcs it drifts, the torque is good. The car rocks even in Automatic transmission.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:51 AM   #8
nitrous36
AF Regular

Importing cars into the U.S. is a bitch. But theres one advantage though. We dont have to convert the car to left hand drive. We can leave them right hand drive. Is that all you guys have to do? We have a 25 year rule though. So unfortunatley we have to wait until a vehicle is 25 years or older to import it with out any hell. When a car is 25 or older it is considered classic and is exempt from any EPA, DOT, and NHTSA laws. You guys can import any car as long as you convert it to left hand drive. That is unlucky but atleast you can get any car. The good out weigh the bad on that. Unless a RI petitions the MarkII for importing I have to wait 12 more years before I can get a 92 MarkII Tourer V. I got a question. Why do the 92 (the first year for that body style) MarKIIs seem to be rare? All I mostly see are the 93s, 94s and 95s.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:09 AM   #9
greenjack
AF Newbie

Yeah I also see alot of 96's.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:43 AM   #10
rivalbro
AF Newbie

mine was and the new one is 93, its jzx-90, I have seen about 3 jzx-100's here, is '92 the shape of a cressida?
Old 06-27-2005, 05:19 PM   #11
nitrous36
AF Regular

No. 92 was the first year for the body stlye you have. In 92 when toyota released the new version in Japan they did not dicountinue the cressida in the U.S., they continued production until 93 then they pulled the plug and we never got the new chaser.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:03 PM   #12
xpeed
AF Enthusiast

I've know a person that imported his car directly from a dealer in Japan. He had no problems except for the extra $$$$ he had to pay but the dealer in California contacted a Japanese dealer in Tokyo and did some paper work and was shipped along with other Nissans bound for the US Market. Went through the customs with no problems since it was being shipped to the dealer directly. He got his car and is the only one with a RHD Skyline GT-R R34 V-Spec II M-Spec Nur brand new. None of that Motorex dealer crap. So yeah, you can. There are loopholes, you just have to find it.

here in So.Cal. (Sounthern California) I see a lot of JDM spec cars. I've seen couple of RHD DC2 Integras, Civic Type Rs, MR2s, Supras, Skyline GT-R R32-R34, Silvias, and even a Nissan Laurel. So anything is possible if you live in So.Cal.

Lexus LF-A Roadster Concept with my bodykit design

"Current Projects"
Nismo Kure GT-R - 0% Sileighty/Onevia - 35%/25%, MCR R34 GT-R - 10%, R34 JGTC Xanavi - 30%, JGTC Raybrig NSX - 0%, 2009/2011 WRX STi - 50%/0%, D1GP Kazama S15 - 55%, Toyota Celica - 2%, Calsonic Z Super GT - 0%, Calsonic R32 GT-R Race car - 5%, C-West RX-7 - 40%, Nismo 350Z 5%, Blitz Chaser - 90%.... a lot of unfinished work.
xpeed is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Chaser