Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Opel/Vauxhall > Astra/Astra Coupe/Kadett
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 08:54 AM   #1
maherlia
AF Newbie

Angry Trouble with CIM Unit (Astra H)

I have an Opel Astra H (May 2004 onwards) 1.4 hatchback.

The CIM unit is a module which controls all the electronics in the cabin and is located in or near the steering column. I have had a lot of trouble with the CIM unit in the car. It has been replaced 3 times so far. One time they replaced the ignition module also after the car completely failed to start at all.

The CIM unit is gone again and I have it in again for another new CIM unit. The car is only 14 months old (albeit with nearly 41,000 miles on the clock). This will be the 4th CIM unit to be fitted in 14 months.

Has anybody out there any idea why this might be happening or whether they have had the same trouble.

My warranty will run out after 24 months and I'll be stuck fixing this part every 3-4 months.

Getting rid of the car is going to be painfull as I have lost so much value due to the high milage. Trade-in values of 12,000 euros would be expected leaving me with a loss in 14 months of roughly 10,000 euros.

Dilemna?

Last edited by maherlia; 09-06-2005 at 01:16 AM.
maherlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:08 AM   #2
Cosmy7
AF Newbie

Re: Trouble with CIM Unit (Astra H)

Same problem here , 2004 , 69000 miles on the clock and i decided to sell it 11990 EURO
Old 10-06-2006, 05:06 AM   #3
maherlia
AF Newbie

x
apparently they found a solution to this problem. the cim unit is situated around the steering column its shaped like a pineaple cirle and sits around the steering column. it starts rubbing off the steering column after time. what they do is remove the cim unit, put some teflon tape on the area where teh cim unit sits and then put the cim unit back on again. this stops the cim unit rubbing off the steering column. they had my car for 5 weeks trying to sort out the problem. I had 2 cim units replaced before they took it seriously and examined it. when they applied the fix it didnt give me any more trouble.

I did get rid of it a few months later. It had started blinking a red light on the dash every now and then which seemed to be an oil light (very worrying) but they couldnt see it happen so I sold the car last january private sale for 12,650 with 53000 miles on it. You did ok on price I think.

pity as it was a lovely car to drive ....
Old 06-26-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
Edwardh
AF Newbie

I had same problem as yours.

My Astra H (Aug.2004 onwards) 1.8 5D hatchback.

I had been replaced 2 times in 2005 & 2006; Today, it failed again(50,000KM only, never had trafic accident).

The technician only suggested me to replace it again, but he told me a confuse issue that the model number of new CIM is different as before in OPEL(GM) supply chain system because OPEN Germany told him that the previouse CIM had quality issue..

I also wish the technician in OPEL Germany can answer the question directly, thanks
Edwardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:09 AM   #5
maherlia
AF Newbie

Hi,

That sounds promising. If the model number of new CIM is different and they admit that the previouse CIM had a quality issue then the new cim might have the problem fixed. It might never go wrong again if the new cim (new model number) has the problem fixed.

I switched to a ford mondeo and have had 100,000 trouble free miles so wont be going back to Opel for a long time......
Old 05-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
Ames
AF Newbie

I have a 56 Astra, got in it last night. Turned ignition on all lights on dash came on but engine would not start. AA recovered me to Vauxhall dealer. They say needs a software update as the chip in the key has developed a fault and imobilised the car. I took out a lifetime warranty on the car thru 3 party but they say it is not covered by the warranty. The book says all ecu are covered. Is this problem connected with ecu fault? Help as I'm quite clueless but can't help thinking I'm being had by the manufacturer and 3 rd party garage!
Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:34 PM   #7
Mokiwi
AF Newbie

hochwertiges Diagnose Programm:http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00MQKQ79U
Mokiwi is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Opel/Vauxhall > Astra/Astra Coupe/Kadett