Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Land Rover > Freelander | LR2
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 06:38 AM   #1
carcrazysincebirth
AF Newbie

oil in my coolant! 03 Freelander

I have about an inch of motor oil floating on top of my coolant in the coolant resevoir of my 2003 Land Rover Freelander SE with only 70000 km's or roughly 40,000 miles! With these 2.5 V6's, I have been lead to believe that oil coolers are a problem causing this oil/coolant problem! However, it has also been suggested that the engine needs to be replaced!!! At this point, I have not seen any coolant mixing in with my oil! I would take it to a Land Rover dealer, but the closest one is roughly 5 hours away. Has anybody out there experienced anything like this and have any insight/advice?? Thanks
carcrazysincebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
robbo1989.2007
AF Newbie

Smile Re: oil in my coolant! 03 Freelander

HOPE THIS WILL HELP
oil in water problem. mechanic by trade so hopefully can help
sounds like the dreaded head gasket. if this was an oil cooler problem you would get oil in coolant and also the other way
when engine is running oil pressure is higher than coolant pressure so oil manges to squeeze into water, but when you switch engine off oil pressure drops immediatly and water pressure is still there leading to coolant in the oil. but a head gasket can't be predicted as to whether oil in water or water in oil or engine gasses in either
HOPE THIS HELPS
robbo1989.2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:00 AM   #3
Indy Tech
AF Newbie

Re: oil in my coolant! 03 Freelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazysincebirth
I have about an inch of motor oil floating on top of my coolant in the coolant resevoir of my 2003 Land Rover Freelander SE with only 70000 km's or roughly 40,000 miles! With these 2.5 V6's, I have been lead to believe that oil coolers are a problem causing this oil/coolant problem! However, it has also been suggested that the engine needs to be replaced!!! At this point, I have not seen any coolant mixing in with my oil! I would take it to a Land Rover dealer, but the closest one is roughly 5 hours away. Has anybody out there experienced anything like this and have any insight/advice?? Thanks
Check your tranny oil cooler these go bad a lot, you will get a light brown oil deposits in your coolant bottle and coolant will go into your tranny making the oil turn pink , seen this lots
you will have to flush out tranny very well and the coolant replace tranny oil cooler (not a cheap item) Failure to do this well will resoult in the tranny
electrics going crazy from the water thats got in the tranny.
Good luck

indy shop owner/tech
Indy Tech is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Land Rover > Freelander | LR2