Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Outback
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
ecamc
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ecamc
Question Cold Weather 'diesel' smell

Maybe a strange question, but here goes....

When it is cold outside (below 40 degrees, usually in the low to mid 30s), and I first start the car, and have the heater or defroster on, I get a really strong 'diesel' like smell. As the car warms up it goes away, or if the outside temp gets up over 40. Any ideas? It happened last winter and I've just begun to notice it again with the cooler temps lately.

Thanks,
Ed
ecamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
ecamc
AF Newbie

Re: Cold Weather 'diesel' smell

So, apparently I have stumped all the Soobie gurus..... one more clue then. The smell only invades the cabin if I run the heat (floor) or defrost setting, or any of the combo (floor/vent, floor/defrost) settings. However, if you pop the hood you can smell the smell in the engine compartment.

It was cold this morning, but I let the car run for a few minutes, switched on the heat, got blasted with it, so I switched to the vent setting (on full heat) and didn't smell it all the way to work.

Not sure if that helps, but at least I have found a work around.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:36 AM   #3
CENA
AF Newbie

Sure you don't mean a gas smell? In cold weather the rubber fuel lines shrink and will leak. You have tighten up the clamps or replace the lines if tightening the clamps does not work. Mine was terrible until I found the leak. You couldn't even breath without the windows down.
CENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
ricebike
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CENA View Post
Sure you don't mean a gas smell? In cold weather the rubber fuel lines shrink and will leak. You have tighten up the clamps or replace the lines if tightening the clamps does not work. Mine was terrible until I found the leak. You couldn't even breath without the windows down.
either a fuel leak as stated or a possible exhaust manifold leak; do you also hear a ticking noise when you popped the hood?

key word = possible

guessing that the gasket isn't "tight" but as it heats up, the gap between the manifold-gasket-head are closed up

also, when it's cold, the engine runs in open-loop mode, dumping more fuel than normal operating temp mode (closed loop) & if you have a slight leak in the exhaust, especially under the hood area, it'll get sucked into the cabin

rule out the fuel leak first though; don' forget to check the external seals on the fuel injectors
ricebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
ecamc
AF Newbie

Guys,

Thanks for the tips. I'm guessing fuel line clamps. Started after having a new fuel filter installed, didn't even think about the possible connection. I'll check those in the next few days.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
CENA
AF Newbie

Hello, I don't have my outback anymore. But I did get the problem fixed. I found the fuel lines on the passenger side front of motor were leaking. I tightened the clamps and that was the fix. I think there was two lines behind a bracket. They are not visible if you don't look for them. Hope this helps!
CENA is offline   Reply With Quote