Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Buick Classics
Buick Classics Discuss older classics here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
carkid619
AF Newbie

Lightbulb need help on idea of turboing my 1970 lesabre custom

hey guys, need some help on my car, i want to turbo my engine but dont know shit about it besides lots of power for reasonable cost. i have the completly stock 5.7L buick v8, the guy before me had it gone through at a shop but nothing major done. i found a kit for my engine but what are ALL the pros and cons. dont know alot about turbos. please help heres the link for the one i found for my car.thanks
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...Q5fAccessories
carkid619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: need help on idea of turboing my 1970 lesabre custom

That kit absolutely will NOT fit. It is for a Chevy 350 (5.7 liter) engine, which has been swapped into a LeSabre.

Up until about 1980, General Motors allowed all of their 5 divisions to make their own V8 engines. There engines were all of completely different design and no parts would interchange (except for carbs and accessories, like AC compressors)

So, GM ended up with four completely different 350 (5.7 liter) engines, one each for Chevy, Olds, Buick and Pontiac. They all were different. So, parts for a Chevy 350 will not fit your Buick engine at all.

Even if you were to turbo your engine, you would blow it up unless you rebuilt it with some serious internal mods. You would need to lower the compression ratio a lot and use stronger pistons than the stock ones.

What you can do is to swap a Buick 455 V8 in place of your 350. It will be a straight bolt-in. There are some (not many) performace parts for the 455. They will go quite nicely.

Also, note, Olds and Pontiac also built 455 V8's. They are not the same design. They will fit but require engine mount and exhaust work to fit.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Re: need help on idea of turboing my 1970 lesabre custom

Good Job MagicRat, explaining why this “turbo kit” would not work on this particular car!

I have noticed this vendor on Ebay before, they are a Chinese import warehouse specializing in ‘reproduction trinkets’ like HID bulbs, xenon bulbs, shift knobs, turbo air intake shields, etc. (JUNK)

Before buying anything on Ebay, always check the seller reputation, number of sales of the item you are considering purchasing, and feedback (positive/negative) from customers who have bought the same item. When looking through the first 50 pages (2500 items) of this vendors feedback, I could not find where that they have sold even ONE complete turbo kit!

In addition, when a vendor sells thousands of trinkets, the feedback % may be distorted because the items are usually small, low dollar items without much value, so most people who give positive feedback, base their evaluation on shipping time alone and not quality of the product. When looking at this type of vendor, negative feedback has much more impact than positive! Based on the quick review shown below, I would not purchase an HID bulb from this vendor, much less, a complete turbo kit.

Last 10 feedback items listed for this seller:

1. 1992 1993 1994 1995 HONDA CIVIC STRUT BAR FRONT UPPER
  2. 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 GMC SIERRA 8PCS HEADLIGHT SETS
  3. TURBO INLET OIL FEED LINE KIT K03 AUDI A4 GOLF/JETTA
  4. 1992 93-95 HONDA CIVIC VTEC SI LX DX HEADER EXHAUST 94
  5. 1998 1999 2000 2001 ACURA INTEGRA TYPE-R SHORT SHIFTER
  6. 1973 1974 1975 CHEVY CHEVELLE 7X7" PROJECTOR HEADLIGHT
  7. 96-98 BMW E36 328 328I 2.5 V6 STAINLESS STEEL HEADER 97
  8. 2001 2002 2003 GMC 3500 6.6L V8 TURBO AIR INTAKE SHIELD
  9. 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 GMC SIERRA 8PCS HEADLIGHT SETS
  10. PILOT H4 HEADLIGHT XENON HID BULB MAZDA 626 1998 1999

Negative/neutral feedback from the last 250 respondants:

1. SPENT THE MONEY FOR THESE ITEMS N ASKED FOR A LITTLE HELP AND SMART ANSWER.
  2. item in bad condition, and paid worther than shipping cost..
  3. Has taken my money and never delivered the item. Had to file a complaint. AVOID
  4. Sent the wrong item. not what was pictured
  5. Tried to get more money. Not honest.
  6. send me a non working hid
  7. Product received was somewhat rusty & did not match the item in the picture.
HotZ28 out of here; (serving in defense of the innocent & uninformed)

HotZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Buick Classics