Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Rendezvous
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
Neverendingpain
AF Newbie

Weird starting issue

I just bought an 06 rendezvous 3.5. I got it home and the very next day it would crank, start and immediately stall. Now the only way to start it is to press the gas pedal. The dealer says the 1000 mile powertrain warranty doesn't cover "driveability" issues. Is there a tps on this vehicle, I can't find it. Also, what are the fuel pressure specs for this model. I can't believe I traded in one piece of junk for another. Any other suggestions would be great. I hear the fuel pump when I turn the key, just want to check the pressures.
Neverendingpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
Neverendingpain
AF Newbie

Re: Weird starting issue

Never mind guys, I did something I never do.... I looked in the owner's manual. Under the starting your car section, step 2 says if the vehicle doesn't start, you may have to depress the accelerator about a 1/4 of the way down to start it. I guess this is normal since it's in print, however my 1992 buick regal starts like a champ every single time, not like some carburated dinosaur.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
Gilmour
AF Newbie

Hello,

I am having the exact same issue with my 07 Ren., if i don't depress the pedal it will just start and die, i have to depress the pedal every start - is this normal on these engines? (never had to do it on my lesabre & regal).

P.S.
I know the 07 has an electric throttle, and i read ~17% TPS on Idle.

Thanks.
Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
Neverendingpain
AF Newbie

I would assume so since it is in their owner's manual. I have a regal also and it starts up every time. Just think it's strange that once in a while it will start on it's own but 95% of the time it doesn't. I have to press the accelerator. Can't find anything on it except for the c305 connector located under the driver's seat. Mine looks good however so I can rule that out.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Symptoms of a cold hard start is usually a bad, or dirty Massive Air Flow (MAF), or Incoming Air Temp (IAT) sensors.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #6
Earl Ollila
AF Newbie

My 2007 Rendezvous stalls many times when I attempt to start it when it is warm. Never a problem with cold start. It seems to me that it relates to a key ignition problem or a fuel pressure issue. Sometimes when I attempt to start the engine the starter continuing turning after I release the key. I have 101,000 miles on this car and had no other problems with it except to replace a hub bearing.
Have any of you solved any of these problems. My next action is to go to a dealer for help.
Earl Ollila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
GMCustomerService
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Ollila View Post
My 2007 Rendezvous stalls many times when I attempt to start it when it is warm. Never a problem with cold start. It seems to me that it relates to a key ignition problem or a fuel pressure issue. Sometimes when I attempt to start the engine the starter continuing turning after I release the key. I have 101,000 miles on this car and had no other problems with it except to replace a hub bearing.
Have any of you solved any of these problems. My next action is to go to a dealer for help.
I would recommend contacting your local dealer for more assistance. Keep me posted on your progress. If you have any questions or comments in the meantime, please feel free to contact me privately. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
GMCustomerService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
Tech II
AF Fanatic

If you have a TAC system, I would clean the throttle plate and bore.....key out of ignition, remove both battery cables(neg first), then hold the ends of both cables together for one minute, then reinstall(pos first).....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:36 PM   #9
jrozanc
AF Regular

Do not pass go, Do not contact your local dealer, Save your money. This can be common issue with Rendezvous and Aztec. C305 connector located behind driver seat has a poor seal. My 2002 3.4L CLX 140k is exhibiting the same behavior. This weekend I will do the fix. I've unplugged and wiggled the connections and that almost always fixes the no start issue.

See link below to the how to guide. There is also a bulletin to the dealer on this issue. This issue can cause numerous warning lights including a flaky fuel gauge and

Models:
2002-2006 Buick Rendezvous
2005-2007 Buick Terraza
2000-2005 Chevrolet Venture
2005-2007 Chevrolet Uplander
2000-2004 Oldsmobile Silhouette
2000-2005 Pontiac Montana
2001-2005 Pontiac Aztek
2005-2007 Pontiac Montana SV6
2005-2007 Saturn Relay

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add 2007 model year. Also, additional information was added to the Important statement. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-08-45-005D (Section 8 - Body and Accessories).

Condition

Some customers may comment on one or more of the following conditions:

Engine is hard to start

Engine will not start

Engine starts then stalls

Fuel gauge is inoperative or fluctuates

Service Engine Soon/Check Engine light is illuminated

ABS Warning Light is illuminated

TCS Warning Light is illuminated

TCS activation

Service Traction System message displayed

All-Wheel Drive Disable message displayed

These conditions may be intermittent. Upon investigation, the technician may find various DTCs set.

Cause

This condition may be due to water leaking into the interior of the vehicle, and/or spread terminals, at connector C305 that is located on the floor to the rear of the driver's seat. This connector is not sealed from the inside of the vehicle and water may enter the connector causing the terminals to become corroded. Also, the female terminals of the connector may have become spread apart causing an intermittent poor connection.

Correction

Inspect the terminals at connector C305 for corrosion or spreading before replacing the fuel module or resistor card kit. Terminals can be accessed from underneath the vehicle.

http://www.aztekfanclub.com/SMF/inde...ic,6235.0.html
jrozanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #10
Tech II
AF Fanatic

That is true, jrozanc, but they say it will start if they step on the gas pedal.....if that is the Case, and they have a TAC system, I doubt the problem is corrosion at the connector.....
Old 10-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #11
jrozanc
AF Regular

In may case stepping on the pedal didn't ensure a 'good' start. It would still die. Did the fix today. Took about 3.5 hours. It is isn't that bad. Just a lot of cutting, stripping, twisting, soldering, heat shrinking, taping and repeat X15 times...LOL! My advice on doing this...

1. Only work on 1 wire at a time. They are color coded on together, but you have multiple reds, black, gray, etc...

2. Cut as close to the connector as possible. You just have enough to reach to splice the 2 wires together.

3. Make sure you solder each connection well and use heatshrink. You've got one chance to do this right. It would stink to have to trouble shoot which solder connection isn't good.

4. Wrap each connection in electrical tape. Wrap each bundle in electrical tape to protect it. Consider using zip ties to to ensure they stay together.

This connector set-up is horrible, if the corrosion wasn't bad enough, its possible to have wear through the wire coatings when the bundle comes out of the floor pan. It can rub on the side.

Phew!
jrozanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
Neverendingpain
AF Newbie

UPDATE...... After one year of owning this vehicle, I finally got sick and tired of the no start and poor gas mileage issues with my rendezvous, got off my butt and tried to diagnose this issue. My c305 connector looks as good as it did new. Fuel pressure was within spec, had good spark and no dtc's. I took off the air cleaner and inspected the maf sensor and throttle body. the maf looked good and clean but i sprayed some Maf sensor cleaner on it anyway and let it evaporate. Then I turned my attention to the throttle body. It was absolutely FILTHY. Thick black Varnish looking deposits all over that sucker. So I used some throttlebody/carb cleaner and cleaned all that nastiness away. Put it back together and disconnected my battery terminals. I cleaned and reinstalled them. Went inside the cabin turned my key and guess what????????? For the first time in a year it started all on it's own, no gas pedal needed. I just did these things 4 days ago. It has started every time since without needing the gas pedal. Today I put some techron in the tank to try and clean the injectors and combustion chamber. Now I hope my meezly 14.5 mpg will increase. I will continue to update. Hopefully this helps some of you out there. Good Luck Guys...
The Following User Says Thank You to Neverendingpain For This Useful Post:
Earl Ollila (03-22-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 11:36 PM   #13
Earl Ollila
AF Newbie

I will do the same to my 2007 Rendezvous and see if the starting problem ends. I posted the same problem earlier and was pleased to see that you had some success. I will post my results as to good or not fixed.
Earl Ollila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #14
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Said that in post #8.....but there is a tube going into the snorkle at the throttle body, make sure that it is hooked to the snorkle, and that the other end is hooked up also....
Old 03-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #15
Gilmour
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info, will try it on mine as well!!

Did you have to take the throttle body apart for cleaning, or did you clean it while it was assembled to the intake?

Thanks.
Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Rendezvous