Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
chickenmonkey
AF Newbie

Salvage Title, Rebuilt Title value on the dollar

I'm tired of retards with a salvage titled cars or a theft recovery car with a rebuilt title sellin their cars $1000 below kbb claiming its a great deal. What would be a resonable value on the dollar for a car with a salvage or rebuilt title? .50 for a dollar? how do you determine whats a good deal. Would a 2004 wrx with 69,000miles with a reubuilt title worth $13,500? Anybody want to sell me thier WRX?
chickenmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:31 AM   #2
ilgoldstein
AF Regular

Re: Salvage Title, Rebuilt Title value on the dollar

I'd say a car with salvage or rebuilt title is worth practically NOTHING to me. You really don't know what was wrong with the car (or cars that were put together to make a car,) what the quality of work was, and what little secrets are hiding.

And just try to sell it to someone.

As far as I am concerned, they are disposable cars.

I'm sure that some classic vehicle people are capable of building a great car out of salvage and donor cars, but they put a lot of love into it. Otherwise, I say run as fast as you can.
ilgoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
shella100
AF Newbie

According to The Auto appraiser located at http://www.theautoappraiser.com/salvage_title.htm

Industry standards followed by and noted in print by the National Automobile Dealers Association (N.A.D.A.) Appraisal Guides, Kelley Blue Book Market Report Official Guide, the International Society of Automotive Appraisers (I.S.A.A.) and additional automotive business entities within the United States of America, all devalue a motor vehicle that is in possession of a “Salvage Title”, by 20% - 50% of the normal, fair market retail value of the vehicle without a “Salvage Title”.
shella100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
internationalist
AF Newbie

Chickenmonkey, do you live in the United States? For people living in the U.S. it should be no surprise that it is somewhat of a free market, therefore a material good is worth what the market is willing to pay for it. The numbers mentioned above are guides only and can be way off market. I sold my wife's older civic with salvage title for 90% "clear title" market value and buyer was happy because it was clean and civic's are hot sellers. The civic was on craigslist for only a week. In comparison, I am trying to sell a 2004 cavalier (not such a hot car in the market) for almost half it's value and almost no calls for a few weeks.

Saying "salvage title cars are worth practically nothing" is a generalization that contradicts the market, or in other words - real life. I have sold bad title cars for close to clean title value and buyers were very happy. I have also owned and driven bad title cars for many years with no problems. You can hide some things from seller but not from a good mechanic, if the mechanic says the car is fine, you like the car and the much lower price, why not buy it??????? don't let others dictate what you should buy.

I keep track of salvage title cars prices at auctions and they are not cheap, these are prices before they are repaired.

I see a trend of people who can get good body shop deals from relatives or friends that they trust. They buy the car and have them fix it for personal use. If they trust the repairs and put their own kids in these cars, they usually know the cars have been fixed right. Then in a couple years they sell them to buyers who should still have a good mechanic inspect the car (clean or bad title).

By the way, a newer car with $4000 in damage stays a clean title after repairs. A car that is 8 years old with the same damage recieves a salvage title. Both clean and bad title cars always need to be inspected the same. It is the same game regardless of title status. Buyers, don't listen to the media, use your own head, and maybe you can save a lot of time and money. Educating yourself on subjects saves you from making naive generalizations and improves decision making.
internationalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #5
buccourt
AF Newbie

Internationalist, could you buy chance help me out? or anyone else for that matter.

I just got back from a business trip and the valet at the parking lot where I park just totaled my truck. He hit a light pole going about 40 dead on.

I have a salvage title but the truck was immaculate. I need to determine what a fair value would be and be able to support that with something. Can anyone help me out?

here is the truck I have:
Vehicle Highlights

Mileage: 41,200 Engine: V8, 5.4 Liter Transmission: Automatic Drivetrain: 4WD

Standard
  • Air Conditioning
  • Tilt Wheel
  • ABS (4-Wheel)
  • Power Steering
  • Cruise Control
  • Leather
  • Power Windows
  • AM/FM Stereo
  • Power Seat
  • Power Door Locks
  • Dual Air Bags
Optional
  • MP3 (Multi Disc)
  • Sliding Rear Window
  • Towing Pkg
  • Premium Sound
  • Running Boards
  • Two-Tone Paint
  • Moon Roof
  • Bed Liner
  • Premium Wheels
buccourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:33 AM   #6
internationalist
AF Newbie

buccourt - Unfortunately I had to deal with insurance companies in the past. This was in 2001, I was rear ended and my already "oregon reconstructed" title bmw was totaled again. They called and told me the amount they will pay, title brand was never mentioned before or after the transaction. I was more than happy with the amount, it was slightly on the higher end market value regardless of title.

However, my friend had a rebuilt title car, and it got hit, insurance only offered him half value. He did not fight it and figured they had the authority to make that call. I would have fought it, because I also know from my own experience and others, it is common for insurance companies to low ball or deny claims all together the first time. As a matter of fact, I heard it from insurance experts, it is part of their job to low ball and deny first (this is how they make more money). They know, a certain percent of people will not put up a fight thinking thats just the way things are or it is a hassle to challenge the insurance company. But, you don't go to court, most of it can be handled over the phone.

So, ask them how much they will give you first. If you don't like it, tell them your price and stick to it. It might take a few tries till they agree.

Every situation is different. And remember, even though insurance is more computerized now, they still have humans who can over write many parts of the process. If you fight back and they see it as a potential time waster for them, they won't waste their time and will often be more lenient.
internationalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:25 PM   #7
aznsoophat
AF Newbie

How much would you guys say this rebuilt title is worth? The car runs perfectly fine from what ive driven, looks immaculate from the outside, and had from end collision from the carfax.

2010 Honda Civic Coupe LX with rebuilt title. Front bumper, airbags, hood, & fender replaced. Car looks, runs, and drives great!
Has:
Power Windows
Power Locks
Power Mirrors
5-speed manual trans
Cruise Control
Tilt
A/C
Less than 4k mi!
aznsoophat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:11 AM   #8
abigailpoul
AF Newbie

I see a trend of a person who can get a good body from relatives or friends, they trust the store operators. They buy the car, let them solve their personal use. If they trust the maintenance of these vehicles in their own children, they usually know the right car have been identified.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
mariamonte
AF Newbie

I am new here & just needed a little help. I bought a 1999 Honda Civic from a local used car dealer & it was totaled. The insurance company sold the car at auction & the same dealer bought it. He called us & said we could have first option to buy it back, which we would like to do. We don't know what he'll ask for it & I'm trying to find out how to determine the value so that I can buy it without paying too much. Any suggestions?
mariamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:42 PM   #10
frank007
AF Newbie

Internationalist, I just wanted to ask if you have a maximum % of retail value that you would offer on a newer vehicle at auction without any signs of damage and in active status considering that many vehicle manufacturers will still remove the warranty even on newer theft recovery vehicles?
frank007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:44 AM   #11
highwyre66
AF Newbie

Obviously you dont know how a salvage title works & a reconstructed title works ( at least in PA). So I will inform you. Let's say a car was totaled from the insurance company & you took it to a scrap yard, junk yard, recycling yard. The establishment you took it to has to write scrap across the front of title, have owners sign back of title then sent said title to PENNDOT. The establishment can now only sell the parts of that car.
Now if your vehicle was not written off as totaled was in a minor accident, flood, hail, theft,fire, stolen & stripped. The insurance company it will cost more to fix than the car is worth they will tell Harrisburg to salvage the title but u could still keep it, for a small fee.
Now to get that salvaged title to an r title you MUST take it to a PENNDOT approved body shop, garage & mechanic. Once all work is finish you have to tow car to your local or nearest PENNDOT main office, NOT licencing places. Actual PENNDOT building. They will have their PENNDOT official go over it with a fine toothcomb to make sure all work done was at factory specs or better. If it is then he or she will take your salvaged title & sign saying its approved.
You then will receive an r title. They do this so all the backyard mechanics & people that think they know what they are doing do not put unsafe or junk vehicles on the road.
So my opinion an r title could be better than a regular one because at least you know it was fixed correctly. If its not you don't get an r title
N
highwyre66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:16 PM   #12
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwyre66 View Post
Obviously you dont know how a salvage title works & a reconstructed title works ( at least in PA). So I will inform you. Let's say a car was totaled from the insurance company & you took it to a scrap yard, junk yard, recycling yard. The establishment you took it to has to write scrap across the front of title, have owners sign back of title then sent said title to PENNDOT. The establishment can now only sell the parts of that car.
Now if your vehicle was not written off as totaled was in a minor accident, flood, hail, theft,fire, stolen & stripped. The insurance company it will cost more to fix than the car is worth they will tell Harrisburg to salvage the title but u could still keep it, for a small fee.
Now to get that salvaged title to an r title you MUST take it to a PENNDOT approved body shop, garage & mechanic. Once all work is finish you have to tow car to your local or nearest PENNDOT main office, NOT licencing places. Actual PENNDOT building. They will have their PENNDOT official go over it with a fine toothcomb to make sure all work done was at factory specs or better. If it is then he or she will take your salvaged title & sign saying its approved.
You then will receive an r title. They do this so all the backyard mechanics & people that think they know what they are doing do not put unsafe or junk vehicles on the road.
So my opinion an r title could be better than a regular one because at least you know it was fixed correctly. If its not you don't get an r title
N
Check the date of the original post before you respond, there's rarely ever a need to rehash a 10-year-old thread...
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A