Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-14-2002, 05:46 PM   #1
TrvlynAlec
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to TrvlynAlec
Subaru WRX Sedan or Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VII?

Now even though the Evo VII hasnt came to the US yet, some mags have gotten some specs on it. The Evo has 300hp, AWD, 28,000-32,000(est.)...And the WRX has 227hp, AWD, and cost 24-28 thousand. Now of course you all say the Evo is better, "duh". But first of all I dont really know how mitsu's engines, trannys, etc. are, and whether or not a 300hp engine will ever last to 100,000+mi. with a 8.8:1 ratio. Also the engine is a long stroke engine, so it should have alot of torque(which is nice to have). On the other hand a WRX has a 8.0:1 ratio, a little less hp, and their engines last according to many owners and mags. Do any of you guys know other specs on the Evo VII, like torque, etc? And how are mitsu's in general? Which do you think is better?
TrvlynAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 08:03 AM   #2
THE4TH
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to THE4TH
lancer my friend... jackie chan used to own one. you can't not want one if he had one....besides... everyone has a wrx here now...
Old 04-22-2002, 11:10 PM   #3
azn_iMack
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to azn_iMack
i personally would go with the EVO because, to tell the truth, the EVO is a very sexy car. agreeing with the 4th, everybody has a WRX here. i hear from some people that mitsubishi's aren't very reliable but i wouldn't know whether or not to believe them. sorry to confuse, but i'm just throwing in stuff i've heard.

the EVO is a rally machine.

sometimes i wish i could call my MG an "MG-vo" but i think i'm just being a lamer.
azn_iMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 11:50 AM   #4
THE4TH
AF Fanatic

the evo is coming my friend and fast.... it'll be here soon, and with well over 250hp .. is what was officially stated... expect 276 or so maybe more.. awd, and the good stuff ....wait till it shows save now, get yourself a good deal... evo evo evo
Old 05-06-2002, 01:54 PM   #5
banchi105
Banned

Send a message via AIM to banchi105 Send a message via Yahoo to banchi105
mitsubishi makes nice cars and all
but in this market segment
subaru really knows how to put a nice awd
car together.

both good choices tho
banchi105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 10:50 PM   #6
THE4TH
AF Fanatic

i have to agree subaru does put together a great awd car, but i just wouldn't want a car that everyone has... listen to me drivin a civic si... but you know what i mean
Old 05-12-2002, 12:28 PM   #7
Kopernikus
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Kopernikus
The Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution...EASILY.
Old 05-12-2002, 12:38 PM   #8
sn00pie_2002
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to sn00pie_2002
Although I think both the new Impreza and Evo are gone soft I think you should definitely get the Lancer.
sn00pie_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 01:48 AM   #9
THE4TH
AF Fanatic

just make sure you get the killer lancer not this crap one they have now... and get a yellow one..
Old 07-07-2002, 02:13 AM   #10
Grendel
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by THE4TH
just make sure you get the killer lancer not this crap one they have now... and get a yellow one..
A yellow one? Remember how popular the WR Blue WRX's were? Now everyone owns a WR Blue WRX... I bet the yellow Evo's turn out that way...

I would rather get a black one if they offer it in that color... but im too poor, so I'll keep rockin the Z :P

Anyways... I have heard that when Mitsubishi cars get a lot of miles, they start dyin... dunno if thats the same for Subaru's... Probably just depends on how you treat em...

-Grendel
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 02:17 AM   #11
THE4TH
AF Fanatic

well the other thing to think is the turbo on the wrx.. it's only been out for a few years i haven't heard any problems with it,.. but it is another thing to go wrong.. a pretty expensive thing to go wrong too..
but as i said i haven't heard any problems with it.. i agree with the yellow but come on it's yellow man you gotta have it
Old 08-22-2002, 11:18 PM   #12
DaveHasselhoff
AF Newbie

QUALITY

If quality has anything to do with your needs, RUN, don't walk, away from the Mitsubishi.
DaveHasselhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 04:40 AM   #13
THE4TH
AF Fanatic

i personally like mitsubishi's but i do recall a few years ago there being major complaints of mitsu cheaping out on parts and people having real problems, like the fuel system coming undone.. the whole thing...
or parts falling off for no reason, even in the 3000gt, which one would think would be held by a better standard from the maker.. oh well..
but i would still go mitsu, all the car companies have come a long way, and mitsu, has come a lone way...
Old 10-26-2002, 12:30 PM   #14
Ludachris
AF Newbie

Yeah, Mitsu has tons of quality problems - I've got 150k original miles on my 91 Eclipse GSX (turbo AWD) with many mods and no quality issues to speak of. No engine or tranny rebuild yet and I'm still running the original turbo - and I run the car on the track every-so-often, so it hasn't been babied by any means.

I love hearing about Mitsu's quality problems - I just laugh. Same goes for when some Honda owners try and say Subaru quality is crap... These two companies are proving themselves in the racing circuit, proving many doubters wrong.

Oh yeah, and the engine that's used in the Evo VII (4G63T) is the same block that's in my car (an updated version of course) - it's been around for over 10 years and is proven. If it wasn't reliable, it would have been scrapped a long time ago.

I really like both cars - but Subaru is redesigning the WRX front-end for 2004 and it looks pretty damn good. I say it's a toss up. The Evo should beat the WRX in overall performance on the track, but they're close enough to where daily drivers wouldn't even notice the difference.

-Chris
DSMtuners.com
Ludachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 06:40 AM   #15
THE4TH
AF Fanatic

i agree they will be little diff in a daily driver..
but if your buying one of the two you better not be just a daily driver.
that's what kias are for.. lol