Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Opel/Vauxhall > Speedster/VX220
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-29-2001, 04:34 PM   #1
Adam
AF Enthusiast

Do you guys think this should come to the States? I do! I think it's awesome: lightweight and all, kinda like a Lotus. Actually, very much like a Lotus.
Old 05-23-2001, 05:45 AM   #2
johnny
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to johnny Send a message via AIM to johnny
Unhappy

yep. I think it should. But it won't, sadly. the closest we'll come is when the American version of GT3 comes out; it's one of the playable vehicles.
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 11:33 AM   #3
enzo@af
Old Mod

Send a message via ICQ to enzo@af Send a message via AIM to enzo@af
Yeah, looks like it'd be fun to drive, and it isn't that expensive either (if I recall correctly).
Old 05-23-2001, 12:55 PM   #4
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
Not really too crazy about it. But don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind driving it.
Old 08-05-2001, 03:31 PM   #5
onemerehuman
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to onemerehuman Send a message via Yahoo to onemerehuman
Red face VX220/Speedster

Looks like a Lotus..? Well, it is a slightly heavier and slightly torquier Lotus Elise
onemerehuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 05:59 PM   #6
rstefdc
AF Newbie

About to get it!

I'm about to get my Speedster in 2 months....cant wait any longer!!! 8 mo. long wait it was!!! calypso red, no stinkin' leather and no stereo...pure, unadulterated driving machine!!! .........and, with some chip-tuning and ram-air induction will hit 166HP, enough for 0-60 in 5.4....and when you bum is just 12 inches from the tarmac....you know what I mean....
but this toy is not about speed...what about lateral G-force of 1.16 G?!?...for reference, the last 911 turbo stops at 1,11G...and 95K $$$ above!
I'll never forget my first test drive...man, I thought I was dreaming, slapping my grinning face just to make sure... I drove miatas, boxter, 911, ferrari 348....fugget 'em all....this IS the real driving experience, (with its twin Elise, but i dislike its toyish looks and flimsy 1.8 engine...) that matches go-kart capabilities and everyday (almost..) driving needs...
rstefdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 06:25 PM   #7
ales
Forza Schumacher

Well, congratulations...

I'd be woried about Opel reliability, though... And forget about ram-air, it does nothing... Better get a cold air intake.

Is it really that much better than 348?

Would love to resume my duties as AF's own official thread bastardizer!!!
1:29:53.435 || 207.316 || 310.596
ales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 07:59 PM   #8
rstefdc
AF Newbie

did I say ram? my mistake, I meant cold air induction system, like this one (avail. for the Speedster in 2/3 months) http://www.tuningconcept.nl/eng-main.htm
even a simple panel KN replacement will do good anyway....the car has a pretty straightforward airbox, no curves or kinks.
reliability? 2 years warranty, plus one of the most advanced engine around, no maintenance ever required, other than fluids, filters and plugs!
348 had horrible gearshift and lousy steering feel, on top of a tricky stability...and talk about reliability!!! owner's nightmare! of course it is faster, but not even close to the fun you get into a speedy/elise...you just gotta try it to understand.....
cheers!
Old 01-04-2002, 02:09 AM   #9
ales
Forza Schumacher

You're probably right, but you have to admit that Opel is pretty much at the bottom of the reliability chain. At least with their "normal" passenger cars. i really hope you have good luck with yours (actually, I'm even thinking about buying an old Kadett and turning it into a track only car).

Why do they only give you a 2-year warranty??? Most manufacturers over here give 3 years (Opel included). well, not that I have any money to buy cars anyway So I hope to see pictures of your car someday.

Alex

Old 01-04-2002, 10:31 AM   #10
Hudson
Old Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by ales
Well, congratulations...

I'd be woried about Opel reliability, though...
The only thing "Opel" about this car is the drivetrain. The L850 engine offered in the Speedster has been on sale in the States for a couple of years now and I haven't heard of any major problems with it.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 02:54 PM   #11
rstefdc
AF Newbie

the cool thing of this new gen. ecotec engines is that they are virtually maintenance free!! no belts replacements, valve adj...only filters and fluids, with 4 plugs at 100.000km....all you do is change oil once per year, since the KN air filter will lasts virtually forever. (washable +20 times, once every 30/40K kilom.)
in all speedster/VX forums, so out of around 250 cars, no mech. failure reported, only few electr. blackouts and one fuel lines separation....
lotsa build-quality issues on the other hand, (mostly early cars...tx god!)... like fogging lights, bubbling paint inside the front units, defective paintjobs, rattles, bits and pieces falling off inside....guess that is the "exclusive' lotus heritage....
Old 02-05-2002, 02:19 AM   #12
ales
Forza Schumacher

So did you get the car?

Old 02-10-2002, 03:43 PM   #13
Cbass
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cbass Send a message via AIM to Cbass Send a message via MSN to Cbass Send a message via Yahoo to Cbass
Quote:
Originally posted by ales
I'd be woried about Opel reliability, though... And forget about ram-air, it does nothing... Better get a cold air intake.
The reliabity is just fine. Anyways, it is supposed to be shipped to the states, as for some years now GM has been trying to put together a feasable light sport car field, as they drop the F bodies. The new Pontiac Solstice coupe and roadster, powered by the venerable supercharged Buick 6 is their middle segment. The speedster is being debated over whether to introduce it as an Opel, or a Pontiac. Rumor is management wants it to be Pontiac, but are concerned about associating a light mid engined Pontiac with the ill fated Fiero.

Connor - Porsche Nazi since 2001, VW defiler since 2004

This here's a Fabrication forum!
My lugnut requires more torque than your LS1 makes.
Cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 03:53 PM   #14
ales
Forza Schumacher

Quote:
Originally posted by Cbass

The reliabity is just fine.
Well, and how would you know? (I'm not jumping on you or anything ) Maybe the Speedster will be different, but so far the Opel reliability is ... well ... not to standarts. Maybe a bit better than Korean cars, buit not by much. This is what I've been concerned with.

Old 05-01-2002, 12:14 PM   #15
BeaverTX
AF Newbie

Ecotec

Does anyone know if the Ecotec engine in the Speedster is the same engine that is in the 2002 Chevy Cavalier Sport and the Pontiac Sunfire GT? They are both 2.2L ecotec engines and are in GM cars. Just wondering...
BeaverTX is offline   Reply With Quote