Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 08:21 PM   #1
Meself88
AF Newbie

more on the viper vs. vette

ok...vetteman was right. the viper costs a lot more. with the money you saved from buying the corvette, you could supe it up with like a couple of turbos new heads and an improved exhaust system. with all those new parts you would be producing easily over 800 horses. at that point you could whoop a vipers @$$ bigtime. if anybody out there is a viper fan. vipers are very nice cars. they are fast, and look great. but dodge just hasn't had the experience with the viper that chevy engineers have with the vette. approaching 50 years the corvette engine is just much more refined and reliable. i am not a mechanic or a salesman or some expert. but i can tell you those things pretty much for a fact.
Meself88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 11:11 PM   #2
R1-rider
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to R1-rider Send a message via AIM to R1-rider
Re: more on the viper vs. vette

Quote:
Originally posted by Meself88
but dodge just hasn't had the experience with the viper that chevy engineers have with the vette. approaching 50 years the corvette engine is just much more refined and reliable. i am not a mechanic or a salesman or some expert. but i can tell you those things pretty much for a fact.
well, you might find it suprising to know that chrysler was owned by ferrari when it was produced. And needless to say ferrari has been around long enough and have refined things just about as far as they need to be.

Pound for pound a viper will beat a corvette. and you are right that with the money you save from the viper you could whip up some crazy shit with the corvettes engine, but it will deteriorate the engine rapidly. Also look at the capabilities of the viper, I have seen a street legal viper pushing over 990hp, and well over 1000ftlbs of torque.

The corvette is a fantastic car for its price and light years ahead comfort wise and digitally.
R1-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 08:17 PM   #3
troy_bean
AF Newbie

you couldn't get 800hp in a corvette for 30G, u need like 50. Usually u must buy a pakage like the lingenfelter. but it will kick the vipers ass.

The new lingenfelter c5 TT produces 800hp and does o-60 in under 2 sec
troy_bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 09:18 PM   #4
The_DeViL_
AF Newbie

Thats nice and all that you just saved that money, but think about this since we're bringing up old junk. How many Corvette's do you see on the road? Sure everyone knows they are fast as hell but no one ever gawks at them. Cuz everyone has them, Corvette's are everywhere. Now people who know at least a little bit about cars my gawk at a Z06 Vette as it passes them by, but most people don't know a Z06 from a regular one so they look and turn their heads. Now how many Vipers do you see on the road? It's a rare case unless your in a real rich neighborhood. Even at that most rich people will end up buying Ferrari's, Mercedes, and Lamborghini's over a Viper. And even the other people who don't know anything about a car, once they see that Viper pull up to them, they know what it is, and EVERYONE stares at it.

It's all about class. Don't bring up that shit about how much money you saved and how you can put that money to the Vette and make it 10x better. That's a tired old excuse I seem to hear a lot from stupid kids in Honda's. And no, just because you own a Honda and you want to race it, doesn't make you an idiot so don't think I'm knocking down all Honda owners. You know you hear that shit from those kids all the time.

You want another reason why thats a stupid excuse? I bet I can make you contradict yourself with this. And if you don't.....I dunno whats wrong with you.

Take you back to the 60's-70's lets say you have the money to buy two cars.

A. A let's say 69 Mustang V6 for 3,500.
B. A 70 Chevelle with a 454 V8 for say...8,000.

Now then, thats a 450 hp Chevelle vs a maybe 200-300 something hp Mustang.
What are you going to buy? You going to buy the Mustang since it's "cheaper" and you'll save more money to supe up the Mustang to blow away the Chevelle? I'd really be shocked if you say yes to that.

Damn I just typed too much......boring.
The_DeViL_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 07:05 AM   #5
Ando_Rules
AF Enthusiast

personally i like Vipers better but Vettes r sooo amasing, but yes a vette will kick a vipers a$$ if it is tuned properly and the viper is not tuned , but also as said before the viper will beat a suped up vette to because the vette engine will detiorate over maybe 10+ years
Ando_Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 01:06 AM   #6
DeViL
AF Enthusiast

What I find amazing is how much they improve that cars power and handling. I mean it's really a superior car already now they are adding something for the 03 Vette Magnetic Selective Ride Control, to improve steering even further. How far can they go before this car starts turning on a dime? One hell of a piece of work the Viper has nothing like that for steering. Then again this Corvette has had 50 years of experience and technology behind it as well.
DeViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 03:47 PM   #7
J_Spec_NiTeMaRe
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to J_Spec_NiTeMaRe
As a former Import Tuner, you may not respect my opinion but now that I own a Corvette I think I have room to speak. Since I have a Vette, I would automatically take the side of one Vs a Viper, but the Devil has good points. Yes there is much prestige in a Viper, a real head turner. However, if your goal is to get attention then you need not go much further than paint and some customization. Anyone will look at you if your car stands out, whether its the rarity of the Viper or a customized Vette. So my point is that dollar for dollar, the Corvette is a better car. Because of its superior handling and cheaper price, not to mention the ability to make it faster and last long with maitenence. And if you want to get noticed, its easy to do that in a Corvette as well.

Last edited by J_Spec_NiTeMaRe; 06-30-2002 at 03:55 PM.
J_Spec_NiTeMaRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 04:29 PM   #8
DeViL
AF Enthusiast

Yeah the speed and handling of that Vette is so incredible now and its well worth the money. If I was going to by a Vette though I'd definately go no less then the 02 Z06. More stock power the better. I'm not interested in its turning capability more so how fast I could make it go down the drag strip.

Although the Viper is a little TOO pricey (maybe should be $60,000 range), I'd still try to buy the Viper over the Vette. Like I said, more stock power the better.
Old 07-13-2002, 08:52 AM   #9
zane11
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

ok...vetteman was right. the viper costs a lot more. with the money you saved from buying the corvette, you could supe it up with like a couple of turbos new heads and an improved exhaust system. with all those new parts you would be producing easily over 800 horses. at that point you could whoop a vipers @$$ bigtime. if anybody out there is a viper fan. vipers are very nice cars. they are fast, and look great. but dodge just hasn't had the experience with the viper that chevy engineers have with the vette. approaching 50 years the corvette engine is just much more refined and reliable. i am not a mechanic or a salesman or some expert. but i can tell you those things pretty much for a fact.

Stock to stock the vette is not even close, im not puttin it down but your putting the viper down. If you take a Mazda MP3 for like 18000 grand and put 30000 grand you would KILL a vette. So don't say buying a vette and putting the money you saved from the viper into it, cause just buy a MP3 and put the money you saved from your vette into that and the the vette is gone.
zane11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 03:31 PM   #10
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
well... technically, since there were tons of v8 motors around for cheap in the 60's, if i could afford the mustang and a swap for less than the other ride, i would do it.

it'd be a helluva sleeper. that's all that matters to me.

also... the chevelle wasn't a noted handler vs the mustang, which was winning trans am championships... i would go with a winner that just looks faster on the street... in 60's money, i could swap in an 8 for less than the total of the chevelle.

sometimes you gots to think outside the box.
flylwsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 12:42 AM   #11
DeViL
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
with the money you saved from buying the corvette, you could supe it up with like a couple of turbos new heads and an improved exhaust system.
Let me ask you this, what man goes to a dealership, buys a brand new car, and has 30,000 bucks to spend on it for performance? Excluding the super rich here.

Just about every normal human being who makes a decent income isn't going to have 30,000 bucks left over to fix there car up. Most people make payments on Corvette's, some actually save up enough money to straight out buy the car yeah thats great, but even those people who just blew a huge chunk of money. They don't have any left over. So get that "well you save money to supe the car up" bit out of your head.
Old 07-14-2002, 08:38 AM   #12
zane11
AF Enthusiast

Yeh i no im not the one that saying that its all the people who cant admitt that a viper is better than a vette. There the ones saying with the 40000 i save from not buying then ill put it into that vette.
Old 07-14-2002, 09:20 PM   #13
mrcvette
AF Newbie

why does everyone think vipers are so much faster than vettes? with proper drivers, they will run nearly equal 1/4 mile times, around 12.2. the viper weighs 200lbs more and suffer from traction problems. I've actually seen z06s beat vipers on several occasions. the difference doesn't come until 120+mph
mrcvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 11:19 PM   #14
DeViL
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
suffer from traction problems
Now where did this come from? I've never heard this before really.
Old 07-14-2002, 11:45 PM   #15
zane11
AF Enthusiast

HAHA ive never seen a vette come within a car length of a viper when racing.

I actually watched a viper give a vette a little head start and then the viper punch it and blew by it.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette