Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-08-2002, 12:36 PM   #1
MuttedtsiAWD
AF Newbie

Wheel Weights

Hello,

Here is sight with more wheel weights then you can imagine. Someone should make this a sticky so everyone can stop asking how much certains rims way. Just makes it easier on everyone.

http://www.wheelweights.net

Just click on wheels and you have all the weights you ever need.

Late,

MODS-YES
RICE-YES
RICER-Race me and find out
MuttedtsiAWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 03:53 PM   #2
jdoug
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to jdoug
Yeah, that's a good site. But looks like it hasn't been updated too much lately.

So what do you do if you're trying to find the weight of a wheel that's not in that table? Calling distributors doesn't seem to help, as I have contacted several today and none of them have wheel weight information available.
jdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 07:37 AM   #3
MidNiteMysT
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by jdoug
Yeah, that's a good site. But looks like it hasn't been updated too much lately.

So what do you do if you're trying to find the weight of a wheel that's not in that table? Calling distributors doesn't seem to help, as I have contacted several today and none of them have wheel weight information available.
i emailed or called up the companys themselves and they have no problem telling me the weights. but when you do, do it a second time because most of the time, they just tell you the weight from the top of their head like idiots so make sure to double check. also make sure hes giving you the weight without the box included. i have asked for many weights and sometimes, they included the box weight with the rim.
MidNiteMysT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 01:29 PM   #4
canuck
AF Newbie

Thumbs up wheel weight info

this may be more info than most care to read.

i used to design wheels for both an oem wheel supplier and manufacturer. the general rule of thumb, at least for oem car wheels i worked on, is to add 2 to the wheel diameter and you have your weight. example: you have 17x6 wheels. take 17 add 2 and the wheel weighs 19 pounds. this seemed like an optimum weight that would meet the oem requirements yet still be strong enough to pass impact testing. for larger wheels like 20" you should add 3 or 4. there are many variables to determine weight. the style of the wheel and whether it has a button cap or large cap covering the lugs can greatly affect the weight. we used this simple calculation to give us a ball park #.

chrome wheels are typically 2 pounds heavier than the same wheel that is painted or polished. the reason is that the wheels are copper plated, then chromed. even though the plating is thin, both metals are quite heavy.

also, the wider the wheel the more weight. a 8" wide wheel vs. 7" wide will add 1/4 to 1/2 pound.

my point is that if you are unsure if a wheel is "too heavy" just use this simple calculation. if the wheel is few pounds more than the diameter it is a reasonably light wheel.

truck wheels are beefier to withstand higher loads. you could add 5 or even higher to get the approximate weight.

oem wheels are usually much lighter than "california" aftermarket wheels. you know, the ugly wheels with teddy bears and flames. the main reason is cafe standards, second is cost savings. aluminum is $.80/lb. aftermarket wheels do not have to meet cafe standards and have a much bigger profit margin. so they can "afford" to make a heavier wheel. thus they do not go to extreme lengths to lighten a wheel by 2/10ths of a pound like oem's yet still be robust enough to pass impact testing. however, with the aftermarket trend going towards lightweight racing type wheels this should change. racing style wheels should be on par with oem wheel weights or even less.

remember, these are just guidelines. if you want specific weights, then call the manufacturer.

if you really want super lightweight wheels, get a thin 5 spoke. they usually seem to be the lightest vs 6 or 7 spoke. defineately stay away from 3 spokes as they are inherintly heavy-just take my word for it. to get every last ounce of weight out get a wheel that has been rollformed(the rim is spun). this can reduce the weight by a pound. speedline (italy) specializes in super lightweight, yet strong wheels, many of which are rollformed. the aftermarket wheels are named speedline corse.

then of course there are magnesium wheels. mg is 1/3 lighter yet 1/3 stronger than aluminum. however, it is more expensive per lb and dangerous to cast. my boss had c5 mg wheels given to him for his c5. nice!

hope this helps, canuck

Last edited by canuck; 07-25-2003 at 08:11 AM.
canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 04:45 AM   #5
pro_am
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to pro_am Send a message via Yahoo to pro_am
Re: Wheel Weights

That was some really cool info. I wish I could design wheels for a living, that would rule!
jake
pro_am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 03:47 AM   #6
Xtreme_098
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Xtreme_098

5.1 lbs compaired to 60! I gotta go see what those kriminals look like. Chrome without lookin
Xtreme_098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 10:11 AM   #7
phoenixitc
AF Enthusiast

This is good info. Thanks. I am bebating on 17s or 18s for my 95 Accord. I've hesistated due to the issue with loss of performance going to 18s. I am considering Axis Mod for 18s but they weight 20.8lbs per wheel, compared to 17.1 for OEM 15s on my car. But the 2x calculations means I am increasing total weight by about 60lbs, for performance comparison. No biggee so I might go 18s. I am also considering Kyowa Racing. Their 18inch KR228 is only 17.4 lbs per wheel.
phoenixitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 10:12 AM   #8
phoenixitc
AF Enthusiast

Anybody familiar with Kyowa Racing wheels, purchasing thru www.wheelstudio.com? I am considering the KR228 model in 17 or 18, versus Axis MOD in 18. Thanks!
phoenixitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 03:23 PM   #9
Stoggers
AF Newbie

There's a resonable amount of info out there on wheel weights, but don't forget tire weight too. I am looking at some replacements rims and tires for a Dodge Spirit R/T and have decided to go for 16" diameter rims. My searches have produced rims ranging from 29lbs+ per rim down to 16.3lbs per rim (7" width). 225/50/16 tires range from 29lbs down to 23lbs. Guess what...I chose some wheels at 16.8lbs and tires at 23lbs...combined weight 39.8lbs..much better than the original unresearched option which worked out at 54lbs...ouch!
www.tirerack.com have plenty of info for most.
Stoggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:08 AM   #10
blackm20i
AF Newbie

hey do you know of any more recently updated websites? i am having trouble finding the weight of a particular wheel. Thank you
Old 03-18-2009, 03:22 AM   #11
thecarmann
AF Newbie

check out http://www.wheelweights.com/ they;ve got downloadable guides and stuff to help you
thecarmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #12
LionTech16
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL PAALO View Post
www.wheelspecs.com has some good info too.
This site is not working.
LionTech16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #13
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

The Yellow/Red Dot on your new tire is the location on the rim/valve stem when
mounting the tire.

Also make sure unidirectional tires are put on right, else tire noise.

Last edited by danielsatur; 09-18-2012 at 07:43 PM.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:45 PM   #14
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Re: Wheel Weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttedtsiAWD View Post
Hello,

Here is sight with more wheel weights then you can imagine. Someone should make this a sticky so everyone can stop asking how much certains rims way. Just makes it easier on everyone.

http://www.wheelweights.net

Just click on wheels and you have all the weights you ever need.

Late,
And I thought this thread concerned wheel BALANCING weights! smh
RidingOnRailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:26 PM   #15
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Question:

I've read many articles about aftermarket rims/wheels, and they all agree one this one point: Aftermarket wheels that are lighter than your factory OEMs is always better for performance.

But while lighter wheels enhance acceleration and braking, don't they raise a vehicle's center of gravity?
RidingOnRailz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels