Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > AF in General > Hot and Not
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Hot and Not Express your opinion about this site here. Any comments, good or bad, are welcome.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 06:26 PM   #46
mentel
Racing Forum Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to mentel Send a message via AIM to mentel Send a message via MSN to mentel Send a message via Yahoo to mentel
Re: Re: Moderating Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrity
I've just one thing to say about Ricochet being banned for calling something someone wanted to being gay.

It seems to me these days, calling something gay is not automatic connotation for something being "homosexual". As it were, it seems to be split into both someone being homosexual and something being synonymous with "stupid" or "bad". Most people use it these days without actually meaning "homosexual" but rather just negative notation for something.

Just my 2 cents, and I realize some people see it differently.
Please - we've all discussed this ricochet matter and we've all been trying to forget about it, no need to have people constantly be bringing it up.
mentel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 06:29 PM   #47
Miataracer
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Miataracer Send a message via Yahoo to Miataracer
Re: Moderating Issues

The 'issue' with Ricochet is not that he called someone 'gay.' There was a lot more to it than that. I agree that it is time to stop talking about whether he deserved to be banned or not and what he did to get banned.

LS1 RX-7 Zoom Zoom
Miataracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 06:33 PM   #48
crayzayjay
CFA

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Moderating Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentChamber
So he spent time and effort trying to improve one of the places he likes to spend his time, how is that not appreciation. He was trying to better the forums. What exactly one have to do around here short of performing oral sex on a mod before they are appreciated.
If you are unable to post sensibly in this of all threads, you will not make a further contribution to it.

AF has hundreds if not thousands of truly appreciated members, and some are more knowledgeable than others. As Igor put it, RESPECT IS THE KEY. A knowledgeable, respectful member is more appreciated than a knowledgeable member with unpleasant habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrity
It seems to me these days, calling something gay is not automatic connotation for something being "homosexual". As it were, it seems to be split into both someone being homosexual and something being synonymous with "stupid" or "bad". Most people use it these days without actually meaning "homosexual" but rather just negative notation for something.
Dealt with on the first page of this thread.

This is not 'Nam, this is AF. There are rules.
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:04 PM   #49
TheSilentChamber
Forunn Daberator

I was just stating it how I see it. He said he did not appreciate a member even though that member had put alot of effort and knowledge into a forum.

TheSilentChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:54 PM   #50
mentel
Racing Forum Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to mentel Send a message via AIM to mentel Send a message via MSN to mentel Send a message via Yahoo to mentel

Quote:
I was just stating it how I see it. He said he did not appreciate a member even though that member had put alot of effort and knowledge into a forum.
Please find where I said that. Again, read, really actually take time to disect my words and find out what I'm saying, instead of jumping to a conclusion. It causes trouble.
mentel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 08:43 PM   #51
whtcivic93
AF Newbie

Quote:
I'd just like to say I agree with everything civicspoon said and stand behind this thread 100%.
Couldnt have said it better myself.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:47 PM   #52
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

So, calling somebody gay is not a bad thing hey? Where do you draw the line then? Sexist/racist words are always offensive to somebody. Saying them in the wrong place/time/context could even get you killed. So learn the lesson now, nobody will respect you if you do not respect others.

In fact that may be one of the problems that the people who stated this thread are feeling i.e. they feel insulted by some of the moderators. At least one mod had apologised for that and others who may have not been as sympathetic should take heed. However, the rank and file should remember those same mods have just finished dealing with an abusive, stubborn, argumentative, self important and opinionated individual like Ricochet. So they may still be on a short fuse.
RallyRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 09:46 PM   #53
emerge
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to emerge Send a message via Yahoo to emerge
hiya kids.

ya, i'm back. i don't really care if you want to hear me bitch about ricochet being banned or not, cuz that's what i'm about to do. hell, you can ban me too. i left this site almost a year ago anyways, because it's gone so downhill. i am one of the original PH members as well, so don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about simply because I don't post here (anymore). in fact, don't reply to this post cuz i'm not coming back to check this thread to see what you think.

have you guys ever seen the honda/acura forum? it's like a damn paradox of redundancy. same threads by the same newbies all the time. "what color do i paint my car", "which intake", "how do i add hp", "what is vtec". and you wonder why ricochet acts like he does...

the fact is, this is the internet. people are gonna say whatever the hell they want and whatever the hell entertains them, whether it makes you happy or not. if you're gonna waste your time getting offended by some kid on a computer halfway across the country who doesn't even know your real name, you shouldn't be on the internet in the first place. and yeah i know, moderators have a tough job to do, wah wah wah. fact is, you accepted the position. and it's not like you HAVE to do it. there are plenty of other people out there who WANT to be moderators. but you are the one who was chosen to do it. so congratulations. i just wish some of you would do a better job at it...

peace.

-merge

EJ8 Civic | AIM: nxzo | www.rtek.org
emerge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 09:54 PM   #54
whtcivic93
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerge
hiya kids.

have you guys ever seen the honda/acura forum? it's like a damn paradox of redundancy. same threads by the same newbies all the time. "what color do i paint my car", "which intake", "how do i add hp", "what is vtec". and you wonder why ricochet acts like he does...

the fact is, this is the internet. people are gonna say whatever the hell they want and whatever the hell entertains them, whether it makes you happy or not. if you're gonna waste your time getting offended by some kid on a computer halfway across the country who doesn't even know your real name, you shouldn't be on the internet in the first place.

-merge
Old 12-14-2004, 11:10 PM   #55
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang

Quote:
I think you have missed the point of this thread almost intirely. It not just about the banning of that member. Everyone here acknowledges
that other events took place that lead to his banning. The one quote about PureHonda shows how bias you are in any situation, it appears that you are willing to judge a whole group of individuals on the actions of a few.

I think you have missed the point of my post and shown your predetermned bias. I was complimenting what the current AF Honda community now is(new AF members/ PH memebers who stayed). It's not made up of a bunch of people who like to go into Mustangs and Camaro Forums and say how much they suck and Hondas rule etc.., It is now mostly people who appreciate and respect all cars but prefer Hondas.

And your other Pure Honda poster in this thread has help to reassure my feelings on the majority of the Pure Honda community and what they brought to AF.

GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:22 PM   #56
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

Quote:
hiya kids.

-merge
Hmm... I wonder how Freud would diagnose that...

Dealing with newbies is nothing unique to the Honda forums, it's the same all over AF. Anyone who cracks the way Ricochet did will have to be sorted in similar fashion.

So all mods aren't perfect all the time, sorry but that is always going to be the case. Even in a small group of people there are bound to be disagreements and arguments about any issue. Now multiply that by the quarter of a million plus members on AF and there is an awful lot of potential for disagreement. Even more so when we can count on ex-members to come crawling out of the woodwork when they smell some blood.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:05 AM   #57
G35XAndTrailBlazer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to G35XAndTrailBlazer

Quote:
hiya kids.

ya, i'm back. i don't really care if you want to hear me bitch about ricochet being banned or not, cuz that's what i'm about to do. hell, you can ban me too. i left this site almost a year ago anyways, because it's gone so downhill. i am one of the original PH members as well, so don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about simply because I don't post here (anymore). in fact, don't reply to this post cuz i'm not coming back to check this thread to see what you think.

the fact is, this is the internet. people are gonna say whatever the hell they want and whatever the hell entertains them, whether it makes you happy or not. if you're gonna waste your time getting offended by some kid on a computer halfway across the country who doesn't even know your real name, you shouldn't be on the internet in the first place. and yeah i know, moderators have a tough job to do, wah wah wah. fact is, you accepted the position. and it's not like you HAVE to do it. there are plenty of other people out there who WANT to be moderators. but you are the one who was chosen to do it. so congratulations. i just wish some of you would do a better job at it...

peace.

-merge
Bravo, that was awesome.
G35XAndTrailBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 09:33 AM   #58
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
Went away for a year, but came back to post that. Thanks

Noobs

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 12-15-2004, 01:12 PM   #59
jon@af
The Media Guy

Send a message via AIM to jon@af

Quote:
hiya kids.

ya, i'm back. i don't really care if you want to hear me bitch about ricochet being banned or not, cuz that's what i'm about to do

-merge

You know, I might have actually read what you posted, but this line here made me think "nah, not worth my time". This isn't a bitch about Ricochet thread, as already stated on the first page of this thread.

NOTE TO ANYONE ELSE POSTING IN THIS THREAD FROM THIS POINT ON: IF YOU MAKE YOUR POST TO SIMPLY BITCH ABOUT THE FACT RICOCHET WAS BANNED, YOUR POST WILL BE DELETED WITHOUT A SECOND THOUGHT. THIS WAS STARTED FOR A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT REASON THAN TO QUESTION OUR DECISION ON THE BANNING OF A MEMBER.

That is all.

AF User Guidelines <----Click and read if you don't know these.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

A Blog By Swigz

Cotidie damnatur qui semper timet; Aquila non captat muscas.
jon@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 03:00 PM   #60
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtcivic93
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35XAndTrailBlazer
Bravo, that was awesome.
Can't even constrain yourselves from postwhoring in a serious topic such as this. Way to go showing respect for the member who originated this thread.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > AF in General > Hot and Not