Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > AF in General > Hot and Not
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Hot and Not Express your opinion about this site here. Any comments, good or bad, are welcome.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 01:28 PM   #16
crayzayjay
CFA

Re: Re: Re: Re: Moderating Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastiek2
Are our opinons allowed?
Did B18ls say somthing offensive? Wrong? What rule did he brake?
I am sure we all expect more maturity from our Moderaors rather then our members.
Maturity doesnt come into my reply to him because it wasn't a flippant remark. I meant it.

If a member is unhappy, he or she should contact a moderator. Still not content? Contact an administrator. Do not resort to making comments across several threads and mass PM'ing.

Again, you aren't aware of PM's that are exchanged. b18ls is unhappy with the situation at AF, is highly critical of the job we're doing as mods, and is openly promoting for another forum.

Quite clearly, the best alternative is for him to go there rather than hang around and disapprove.

This is not 'Nam, this is AF. There are rules.
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:05 PM   #17
Miataracer
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Miataracer Send a message via Yahoo to Miataracer
Re: Moderating Issues

Guys I would just like to add my two cents here. I feel I might be able to bring a little more to this discussion as I have recently become a moderator and joined the AF team. I will tell you all in complete honesty that being a mod is a lot harder than you would think. SERIOUSLY! These guys have to try to figure out what to do in all kinds of situations to try and be fair and handle things in an appropriate way. It’s hard. Rarely ever does a mod do something without first asking for some other opinions on the situation. Now the subject has been brought up about why the thread that asked what happened to Ric was closed and whether or not members’ opinions are allowed. The thread was not closed to try and take away your rights to talk about what has happened. Take an honest look at that thread. In it you guys are saying it is BS that he got banned, and even suggesting a mutiny. The threads were closed to stop things from getting out of hand. There is a pretty noticeable difference between the threads you listed, Beastik2, and this thread that got started in the Hot and Not section. Thank you CivicSpoon for creating this thread and sharing your opinion.

The Honda section went very loosely moderated for quite some time. In that time the rules went from being bent a little here and there to being totally broken. You guys know I have been right there with you on this and I feel your pain when people post the same thing over and over without searching. That still doesn’t mean the answer is to bash the person ruthlessly to the point that they will never come back. Thanks largely in part to GScivic7’s suggestion, new moderators were elected to help watch over the Honda section. If you give us a chance we are going to try and help make things better. However, it will be very hard to make things better without the help of you guys.

LS1 RX-7 Zoom Zoom
Miataracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:06 PM   #18
clawhammer
AF Fanatic

Is Ricochet coming back or not?
clawhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:09 PM   #19
mentel
Racing Forum Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to mentel Send a message via AIM to mentel Send a message via MSN to mentel Send a message via Yahoo to mentel
Re: Re: Moderating Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawhammer
Is Ricochet coming back or not?
No, he's on a permanent holiday from AF. Please don't ask again.
mentel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:12 PM   #20
mentel
Racing Forum Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to mentel Send a message via AIM to mentel Send a message via MSN to mentel Send a message via Yahoo to mentel

What I think?

I think that Moderators as a whole are under appreciated. I'm keeping it short and simple.

You af members have no idea whats involved with running this site, what these moderators do, and the fact that if these people weren't mods right now you probably wouldn't even be typing in www.automotiveforums.com every morning like I do, because there would be no AF.

Take a look around, look what is provided for you, free of charge (You know, the admin could institute subscription charges for this site) and be happy that you have such a wonderful glory hole of information and help provided for you free of charge.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:15 PM   #21
clawhammer
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Re: Moderating Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentel
No, he's on a permanent holiday from AF. Please don't ask again.
The reason why I asked was because this thread was dealing with two things: one that he was banned and he should come back, and second how the mods made the wrong decision. Everybody seemed to have an opinion about the second part, but there was no official response about the first part.
clawhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:45 PM   #22
TheSilentChamber
Forunn Daberator

Has anyone else noticed that no matter what is braught up in Hot or Not most of the time the responce from the mods is "you have no idea what its like being a mod"? I'm just saying, that cant be the answer to every problem that comes up, and if thats the only way to defend what you (speaking in general) have done, or havnt done, maby you should take a better look.

TheSilentChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 03:05 PM   #23
crayzayjay
CFA

Quote:
and second how the mods made the wrong decision
We unequivocally did not make the wrong decision. The proof of that is that Ricochet is still gone.

Ricochet made the wrong decision. He got himself banned, no one else caused it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentChamber
Has anyone else noticed that no matter what is braught up in Hot or Not most of the time the responce from the mods is "you have no idea what its like being a mod"? I'm just saying, that cant be the answer to every problem that comes up, and if thats the only way to defend what you (speaking in general) have done, or havnt done, maby you should take a better look.
It isn't the answer to every problem that comes up, unless you're reading very selectively. We've repeatedly said that things go on behind the scenes that you are not aware of, and that our decisions are checked and reviewed. You're only hearing that line because we are getting so much criticism. Some is fair and is being taken on board, but a good chunk is unjustified and stems from people that are completely uninformed and jumping to conclusions.

Old 12-14-2004, 03:13 PM   #24
jon@af
The Media Guy

Send a message via AIM to jon@af

Quote:
The reason why I asked was because this thread was dealing with two things: one that he was banned and he should come back, and second how the mods made the wrong decision. Everybody seemed to have an opinion about the second part, but there was no official response about the first part.
You may not like the job we do, but please do not accuse of us being wrong. We made a judgement call, and it will stand. While many of the issues in this thread are debateable, the issue of Ricochet is not. He has been banned, and he will stay that way. That topic is closed.

Now, if you would like to address the actual contents put forth by CivicSpoon, please do, but do not bring this thread off topic to accuse the moderators of making a wrong decision as far as banning someone.

AF User Guidelines <----Click and read if you don't know these.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

A Blog By Swigz

Cotidie damnatur qui semper timet; Aquila non captat muscas.
jon@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 03:20 PM   #25
Beastiek2
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Beastiek2 Send a message via MSN to Beastiek2

Thank you all: Understood
Beastiek2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 03:51 PM   #26
TheSilentChamber
Forunn Daberator

Re: Re: Moderating Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzayjay
It isn't the answer to every problem that comes up, unless you're reading very selectively. We've repeatedly said that things go on behind the scenes that you are not aware of, and that our decisions are checked and reviewed. You're only hearing that line because we are getting so much criticism. Some is fair and is being taken on board, but a good chunk is unjustified and stems from people that are completely uninformed and jumping to conclusions.
But see, you basicaly responced to that with the responce that spawned that question to beguin with. I'm from the buisiness word, if your getting "so much" criticism then maby a change is in order.

TheSilentChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 03:59 PM   #27
crayzayjay
CFA

Re: Re: Re: Moderating Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentChamber
But see, you basicaly responced to that with the responce that spawned that question to beguin with. I'm from the buisiness word, if your getting "so much" criticism then maby a change is in order.
Business world? Well greetings from the finance world.

Maybe I should be more blunt. We're getting a lot of criticism largely because you guys often see very little of the information we act on. I appreciate this lack of transparency can be difficult for members, but you simply have to trust us. After all, Igor trusts us, and AF is his baby

Old 12-14-2004, 04:23 PM   #28
mentel
Racing Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzayjay
After all, Igor trusts us, and AF is his baby
The pay is good
Old 12-14-2004, 04:29 PM   #29
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

To quote the late, great Frank Zappa - "why do you have to be wrong just because a million people think you are?"

In fact this situation is nothing near the case. How many people are complaining about the banning of Ricochet? ‘Cause, face it that is what this is all about. Only a very small number that is who! Are the people he insulted and flamed happy he is gone? Undoubtedly. If they haven't been totally turned off AF because of his actions. If you people have a barrow to push then by all means keep pushing it. However, in this instance you will not win because Ricochet was in the wrong, many, many times.

Lets just put the shoe on the other foot for a minute. Imagine you were a mod and a member stated throwing insults, going on a ridiculous crusade and generally pissing members off. What would you do? Ask him to stop most likely. He doesn't respond. What happens next?
RallyRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 04:54 PM   #30
G35XAndTrailBlazer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to G35XAndTrailBlazer

ok..... I'm kinda new.... but i know what moderators go through, because i run MANY sites that are filled with kids 10 to 14 years old, because I'm a kid. And trust me, you think Adults behave badly, try dealing with a 10 yearold girl who is obsessed with attention. Anyways, way off topic.

i think we may, and should be a little...... leniant? on the mods and such. I know what they deal with, and as the old saying goes, we cant be everywhere at once.

But if you are having problems with somone in the Honda/Acura forum, maybe you should tell sombody about it.

But, Mdoerators wouldent stay working here if they dident like to help.

Anyways. I'm not gonna sound like i know anything, because i have what... a 100 posts? give me a break lol

My cents.
G35XAndTrailBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > AF in General > Hot and Not