Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
van wilde
AF Newbie

starting headache

Hi all, i wonder if someone could help me please..

I have a 1999 ford courier van which runs sweet as a nut, however just once in a while it will not start (usually when it has been used and warm)

I have tested the starter motor and the conections down through the engine, they are fine as well as the battery.

A mechanic told me to change the starter switch in the ignition which is now new but it still happened.

It only happens every so often and i have tried everything i know.

Even when i try to bump start it, it will not fore up, all i get is the popping sound when i turn the key, then nothing. Then if i go back in an hour, it will start with no problems.
van wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:28 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: starting headache

When it doesn't start, what seems to fail? Does the starter motor crank the engine over, but the engine does not start up and run, or do you not even get a starter engagement?

If the starter does not engage and there's not a pretty solid sounding click when turning the key to the Start position, try shifting the transmission to Neutral (assuming an automatic) and see if that seems to make a difference.

Since the issue seems to be more typical when the engine is warm, assuming the starter is not spinning the engine over, it does sound consistent with a faulty starter motor or solenoid.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:28 PM   #3
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: starting headache

When it doesn't start, what seems to fail? Does the starter motor crank the engine over, but the engine does not start up and run, or do you not even get a starter engagement?

If the starter does not engage and there's not a pretty solid sounding click when turning the key to the Start position, try shifting the transmission to Neutral (assuming an automatic) and see if that seems to make a difference.

Since the issue seems to be more typical when the engine is warm, assuming the starter is not spinning the engine over, it does sound consistent with a faulty starter motor or solenoid.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical