Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:59 AM   #1
2001 xl7
AF Newbie

Question car modifications

i have a few questions about how to go about doing some suttle things and some big things to my 2001 Suzuki grand vitara xl7.

1. what small cost things can i do to get more power ?

2. how much would it cost (estimate) to get dual exhaust installed? and would it help much?

3. would i be able to fit (as in compatibility not room under the hood) a supercharger on my car (if there's one or many that would work link it/them) and would i need to buy higher octane fuel?

4. what would be the best way to put a functional hood scoop on that car. if the only way is to buy a new hood, ware do i find one?
2001 xl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
jdmccright
The RustBuster

Re: car modifications

First off, welcome to AF!
Second, this should really be in the Grand Vitara forum where other users with the same vehicle are more familiar with it and what is offered.

I do not have alot of knowledge on the GV, but I do know it does have a pretty decent 2.5L V6, but at 155hp, it is anemic. I considered getting one when I was looking for a small SUV a while back.

Unfortunately, you'd have to do alot of searching to find any performance upgrades for this SUV. At most, you'd find a cold air intake (CAI), ~$150, check out Spectre for a fab-it-yourself kit. Maybe also a ECU chip upgrade...look around carefully for a reputable provider, Jet, Hypertech, etc., ~$150-200. One wrong move and the ECM can be fried. Stay away from Ebay "cheap upgrade" stores.

You mentioned upgrading the exhaust as well. For something this small, I think a "true dual" exhaust would be overkill and I don't think you have the room underneath to route it, especially if you have 4wd. But a mild increase in pipe diameter (+1/4-1/2") usually helps a bit along with a higher flow cat converter. I'm guessing $300 for cheap aluminized steel from the downpipes and another $80 for the new cat...Y-pipe into the cat & single all the way to the exhaust pipe.

Performance headers are probably nonexistent unless you have a custom shop fabricate some for you. They might do it for kicks & grins if it's a cool project for them, but I'd guess another $200-$300 if they can shoehorn some in there.

As far as putting in a SC, again, you'd have to find one first. More likely, any power add-ons would be custom jobs. From the pics I've seen there is a big cross-brace (4wd only?) that runs over the top of the engine, limiting clearance and requiring the SC or turbo to be mounted off to the side. But the bigger question is whether the engine's internal parts could withstand the power boost. An ECM reprogram would be required too since there is no way this woud be accounted for by the OEM maps...again custom. I can't even guess the bill for this one, but it would probably cost what the Blue Book value is on the GV.

High octane gas may give you a slight performance boost since the ECM can retard the timing slightly more, but it is mostly negligible and not worth the extra 40¢/gallon or more.

Finally, a functional hood scoop is used to draw cold air from the outside into the engine and also provide a slight "ram-air" effect when going at higher speeds. You would need a custom (there's that word again) intake to route air into the engine's throttle body, house a filter, and keep out rain. No GV hoods have it...you'd have to buy a scoop and cut the hood opening underneath, then blend, shape and repaint. The plenum underneath would seal out hot engine air, but allow drainage should water get in there and not soak the air filter. You are better off, and far cheaper, just reloating the cold air inlet down low and draw it from underneath...in the front fender area is typical with a hole cut to let in fresh air. Some aluminum sheet can be cut and the edges gasketed to make an air box that is sealed against the hood and inner fender.

Hope I didn't dissapoint you with all the negativity. The GV is a nice little SUV but just wasn't meant for performance and no aftermarket places have bothered to make anything for it as a result. But if you have the time and money, you'd certainly have one unique ride. Good luck!
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
2001 xl7
AF Newbie

Re: car modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmccright View Post
First off, welcome to AF!
Second, this should really be in the Grand Vitara forum where other users with the same vehicle are more familiar with it and what is offered.

I do not have alot of knowledge on the GV, but I do know it does have a pretty decent 2.5L V6, but at 155hp, it is anemic. I considered getting one when I was looking for a small SUV a while back.

Unfortunately, you'd have to do alot of searching to find any performance upgrades for this SUV. At most, you'd find a cold air intake (CAI), ~$150, check out Spectre for a fab-it-yourself kit. Maybe also a ECU chip upgrade...look around carefully for a reputable provider, Jet, Hypertech, etc., ~$150-200. One wrong move and the ECM can be fried. Stay away from Ebay "cheap upgrade" stores.

You mentioned upgrading the exhaust as well. For something this small, I think a "true dual" exhaust would be overkill and I don't think you have the room underneath to route it, especially if you have 4wd. But a mild increase in pipe diameter (+1/4-1/2") usually helps a bit along with a higher flow cat converter. I'm guessing $300 for cheap aluminized steel from the downpipes and another $80 for the new cat...Y-pipe into the cat & single all the way to the exhaust pipe.

Performance headers are probably nonexistent unless you have a custom shop fabricate some for you. They might do it for kicks & grins if it's a cool project for them, but I'd guess another $200-$300 if they can shoehorn some in there.

As far as putting in a SC, again, you'd have to find one first. More likely, any power add-ons would be custom jobs. From the pics I've seen there is a big cross-brace (4wd only?) that runs over the top of the engine, limiting clearance and requiring the SC or turbo to be mounted off to the side. But the bigger question is whether the engine's internal parts could withstand the power boost. An ECM reprogram would be required too since there is no way this woud be accounted for by the OEM maps...again custom. I can't even guess the bill for this one, but it would probably cost what the Blue Book value is on the GV.

High octane gas may give you a slight performance boost since the ECM can retard the timing slightly more, but it is mostly negligible and not worth the extra 40¢/gallon or more.

Finally, a functional hood scoop is used to draw cold air from the outside into the engine and also provide a slight "ram-air" effect when going at higher speeds. You would need a custom (there's that word again) intake to route air into the engine's throttle body, house a filter, and keep out rain. No GV hoods have it...you'd have to buy a scoop and cut the hood opening underneath, then blend, shape and repaint. The plenum underneath would seal out hot engine air, but allow drainage should water get in there and not soak the air filter. You are better off, and far cheaper, just reloating the cold air inlet down low and draw it from underneath...in the front fender area is typical with a hole cut to let in fresh air. Some aluminum sheet can be cut and the edges gasketed to make an air box that is sealed against the hood and inner fender.

Hope I didn't dissapoint you with all the negativity. The GV is a nice little SUV but just wasn't meant for performance and no aftermarket places have bothered to make anything for it as a result. But if you have the time and money, you'd certainly have one unique ride. Good luck!
thanks a lot for the info!
by the way the car is an xl7 which is like 19'' longer with a 2.7 liter 170 hp.
the engine doesn't have anything above it that would hinder a supercharger but i know for a fact that the hood wouldn't fit.
i figured this would be the case tho, all my research came up with very little but ill look into the things you told me, again thanks a lot!
2001 xl7 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical