Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Quest | Presage | Serena
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 02:50 PM   #1
autorotate63
AF Newbie

Tire pressue sensor

Anyone else having problems with the tire sensors on an 04 Quest? We had a flat and the tire sensor did not work after which I understood to need resetting by the dealer (duh what was Nissan thinking).

Dealer gets it and says that the sensor was damaged must have been done when the tire was repaired, but we'll cover on warranty. Have heard from another 04 Quest owner they're having some issues along the same lines
autorotate63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 09:54 AM   #2
chubbybubba1
AF Regular

You need to be advising your tire shops when they break a tire down off a rim. Let them know you have a tire pressure monitoring system so that they go easy. Their equipment can damage the sensor. It is mounted on the valve stem, inside the tire.

There should be no need to have the dealer reset anything. Our 04'Quest has had a few tire repairs and within 1 mile it was registering a psi. Rotating the tires also is ok.

The key is to give tire shops a heads up so they take extra precautions.
chubbybubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:21 PM   #3
jeepmountain
AF Newbie

I also had what I thought was an issue with the tire pressure sensor on my '04 Quest. One brutally cold morning one of the tires registered a psi of less than 28 which caused the light to go on. Once the tires warmed up while driving they all climbed back to around 31 psi but the warning light remained on. It was driving me nuts that the vehicle didn't automatically reset the warning light once the psi climbed back above 28. I thought for sure that this was going to be something else that Nissan would have to reset. This was even after reading the owner's manual which states that the vehicle will reset the warning light itself. I then found that the recommended cold pressure on the tire is 35 psi on a sticker located on the driver's door jamb. I pumped up all of the tires to 35 psi and drove it around my neighborhood and the light reset itself. I haven't had any issues with it since. The best part is that the dealer delivered the van with all four tires at about 31-32 psi instead of the 35 psi recommended. Something to say about Nissan's quality practices.
jeepmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:01 PM   #4
chubbybubba1
AF Regular

I've heard "The Car Guys" say the the best time to air up your tires to the recommended psi is when it's about 65 degrees out and the vehicle is not in the sun. That's what I do now.
chubbybubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:43 PM   #5
DRTQUEST
AF Newbie

Re: Tire pressue sensor

I had the same experience as JeepMountain. It came from the Dealer with an average of 29 - 30 PSI on all four tires. Second day I had it the light and audible warning came on. I went to the service station and the air hose worked but the gage was broken. I had my wife watching the readouts on the tire pressure in the car as I added air to each of the tires. It worked great although there was a delay between adding the air and the display of about 10 - 15 seconds.
DRTQUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:36 AM   #6
rgwondering
AF Newbie

My 05 Quest was badly damaged in an accident. The tire survived well enough, however, ever since then an asterisk shows up in the display as well as the icon for 'flat tire'. The autobody guy said hetried to reset the computer but that didnt work. He's had it back twice and still nothing. He suggested bringing it to the dealer. In addition to that, I set all my tire pressures at 35 psi to ensure all were equal/normal and after taking the quest to the market about 2 miles away I decided to check the tires p.s.i. using the on-board screen and guess what? None of the tires registered 35! One was 32, another 34, the 3rd 39 and the asterisk on the one I menteioned previously. I reached for my tire guage walked around and all again tested at 35 p.s.i. . I cant help but wonder if the whole system in bogus.
rgwondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
rkvons
AF Enthusiast

Hi,

a buddy of mine has an '06 Quest Model S and one of his tire pressure sensors has gone on the blink. The dealer wants $250 to fix it. Is there anything he can do himself? What if he lets all the air out and then pumps it back up? Will that do anything? I suggested he get a new part and take it and the tire to a tire place and do the repairs there. Does the dealer have to program the car to recognize the new part? Thanks.
rkvons is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Quest | Presage | Serena