Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Vector > M12
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-30-2002, 11:40 PM   #16
vectorclub
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Was it because that Vector sucked, or are all Vectors really unreliable as lots of people say? I mean having trouble reaching 57 miles don't sound good at all
Vectors, W8 or M12, are not the most dependible autos. The exotic car owners I know that have had Vectors, say they were above average in terms of problems. The W8 is an interesting combination of quality and corner cutting. The chassis of the W8 was super strong. The body fit was OK. There is a mix of polished high end parts and cheap plastic pieces. The M12 was infested with cheap plastic. The rear tail lights on the W8 can be damaged by the catalytic converts which are located just behind the tail lights. You don't want to hit a pot hole in W8 and that goes double for the M12. Many M12s have ripped apart the inner wheel well because the tires were not given enough clearnace to deal with road imperfections. The "aircraft" fuses on the W8 have caused some owners some major head aches. Transmission issues plague both the M12 and W8.

The list of problems goes on and on. After reviewing the history of Vector it seems like both California and Florida Vector needed to spend more time developing their cars. Both the W8 and M12 stand out in a crowd. With less then 45 cars ever built (including concepts cars) Vectors are unknown to most people.

Wiegert is trying to build cars again under the name Vector Supercars. He uses the WX-3 from 1993 as his show car. I am not sure how many people will want the WX-3. Buyers of high dollar exotics can choose the MT900, Callaway C12, Corvette Z06, Saleen S7, Bugatti (coming soon), Ferrari Modena, Ferrari F60 (Coming), Koeingsegg, RUF Porsche, Porsche 911 Turbo & GT2, Lamborghini, and more. All of these cars should be able to out perform the Avtech. The Avtech Roadster has a body that is still eye catching, but under the skin the Avtech does not stack up well against most of the competition.

Anyone thinking of buying an Avtech should think about the W2/W8 production history. W2 buyers waited many years to get their cars. Anyone placing a deposit now, could be waiting a longtime to see the car. It is always a risk placing a deposit with any niche market builder. The S7 has seen many delays, but at least Saleen does have solid track record. The Saleen based Mustangs, have a very high customer rating. My point is, anyone thinking about buying an exotic should look the whole market over. If they decide an Avtech is for them, seriously consider the risks and track record of the builder.

To tie this all back to the topic of do Vector "suck" in terms of quality, I would have to say yes. If someone wanted buy a XJ220, EB110, F40, or a W8, I would say forget the W8, the others are good exotics to own. If someone wants to buy an M12, my advice would be avoid the earlist ones built. Just be ready to dump lots of money into these cars.

I still hear about this guy in Ohio may develop a Vector. I do not have all the info, but he may have the rights to Vector Aeromotive. As of this moment, I do not know. I hope to hear from him again. I would love to think someone could break the Vector's bad track record.
vectorclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 07:06 AM   #17
Vector
AF Newbie

Hey thanx a lot guy, this is some of the best information I've ever seen on the Vectors, and it's very much appreciated!!

I hope more people who are as knowledgeable as you on Vector M12s will gather here, as I love Vectors, and still do after reading your post, and will ask one of you for more advice if and when I get some money to be able to afford one
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 01:44 PM   #18
jsb88
AF Enthusiast

Those look like fabulous cars! I have thought numerous times about buying a vector when I was younger, and I would really like to get one now!
jsb88 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Vector > M12