Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > Engine
Engine intakes, exhaust, turbos, nitrous.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 10:08 AM   #1
b-b00gie
Banned

Send a message via AIM to b-b00gie
2000+ Hotshot CAI...

Finally installed the thing after having it sitting around for a week..

Must say I wasnt too happy with a few things.

First off I thought the whole point that the 99 and 2000+ had different part numbers was because HotShot knew that the 2000+ had a bigger MAF? (3").

Second, I bought a $135 Optima battery for no reason.

The kit came with the following:

Intake piping (3")
Cold air extension (3")
MAF adapter (3")
Cone Filter
2.75" to 3" coupler (to fit intake to throttle body)
2.75" to 3" coupler (to fit intake to MAF??? WRONG!!!)
3" to 3" coupler (to fit MAF adapter to cold air extension)

There is absolutely no way that the 2.75" coupler end can fit on the 2000+ MAF's. I ended up using the 3" to 3" coupler there (and even getting the 3" coupler onto the MAF required lots of struggle and about 15 minutes of heavy sweating!!)

The thing that saved me was the fact that I purchased a 3" AEM by pass valve. I attached one end to my MAF adapter plate and the other end to the cold air extension. This let me get away with having to use the 3" to 3" coupler on the OTHER side of the MAF. I cut off about an inch of the cold air extension to compensate for the added length of fitting the BPV in there.

I ended up not needing to use a smaller battery. I enlarged the hole for the stock resonater box which is what the instructions suggested. After installing the cold air extension and putting the filter on, the wheel well splash guard rests up against the filter. There is actually a slight bulge in the guard but barely, and does not rub on the tire at all.. if I really wanted to, I could correct this by installing a Neuspeed "P-Flow" filter.

I didnt get to take pictures, but I will go back and walk through the install and snap some soon.

I guess I should do the public some service and let HS know about the coupler/MAF issue, although they'll probably look at me funny and tell me that they've sold "X" amount of these kits and never heard of a problem.

Also dont know why they claim you need a new battery? Even if you made the hole in a little different spot than me (not that you really could because there's limited space and you are enlarging the stock hole so I couldnt have been off by that much) you could skip getting a smaller battery and just drill 3 new holes in your battery tray to shift it over a bit (there's some decent room).

If you're planning on getting the kit skip the battery and get an AEM by pass valve and a drill bit to move the tray if you really want more room.

Last edited by b-b00gie; 08-20-2001 at 11:55 AM.
b-b00gie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 01:04 PM   #2
G-Forces
Banned

Re: 2000+ Hotshot CAI...

Quote:
Originally posted by b-b00gie
Second, I bought a $135 Optima battery for no reason.
How much does the Optima weigh? If it's about 20 I wouldn't say that's a waste.

I'd call Hotshot and let them know about the problems.
G-Forces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 01:27 PM   #3
b-b00gie
Banned

It weighs a little less than stock but not much. I chose it mainly because of its high reputation especially for running accessories.. ie stereo systems, alarms, etc...

I'm gonna give HotShot a call or email, I want to snap some pics though so I can back up my claims
Old 08-20-2001, 02:59 PM   #4
b-b00gie
Banned

Excuse my greasy fingerprints all over the nice chrome finish, not to mention my long overdue engine bay cleaning... eek!!

Anyhow, notice the stock battery w/o modifications.

Also notice how the outside of the MAF is actually larger than the 3" pipe (notice the buldge in the red 3" to 3" coupler). You can also see the BPV and if your wondering, the "boost" sensor which was on a bracket attached to the top of the MAF was relocated because the bracket was hitting the shock tower. I took the sensor off the bracket and tie wrapped it to a near by hose underneath the intake...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cai.jpg (92.8 KB, 241 views)
Old 08-20-2001, 03:30 PM   #5
doodledo824
AF Regular

i feel your pain, when i first bought my g i ordered the stillen intake. i let them know about the diffrent maf setup but i was told continuously that i had no idea what i was talking about (how rude). He swore up and down the the stillen intake from a 99 would fit and when i got it of course it didn't fit, then i was told that i was installing it wrong. after 3 months of aggravation i sent i back and got my money back and went to jim wolf with the problem. Since the updated version of the sr20de was relatively fresh onthe market jwt told me that it was being tested and fitted so after a couple of weeks they shipped it out to me and of course , perfect fit. i also ordered the throttle body piping from the throtlle body to the maf from cai andi didnt have a problem with that. i would have done the whole cai from place racing but it would require cutting and that's something i wasn't ready for.
doodledo824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 07:06 PM   #6
b-b00gie
Banned

Hey, was that you in your silver g20 in the Dunkin Doughnuts parking lot on friday night? w/ a silver accord too?
Old 08-20-2001, 09:35 PM   #7
G22DET
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to G22DET Send a message via AIM to G22DET
strange things on how companies claim that they've sold X amount of parts and only "yours" was messed up....
When i got my stillen rear strut bar and it didnt fit...they told me they've sold a lot of them and no one complained...of course i bitch the hell out and they eventually found out that although the legs were the same, they had packaged the Eclipse bar into the G20 box!!!?!?!?!?! anywya, now it's all solved and the rear bar fits good and everything.
give hotshot a call...i'll also call them so they wont just ignor it.

GDA Power!
G22DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 01:45 AM   #8
BruinG20
AF Enthusiast

I have a 2000 model. What kind of CAI would you guys recommend? Hot Shot or JWT. I plan on getting an AEM bypass valve. B-boogie, do you have any more pics of your install? Any tips would be helpful, i'm kinda new to all of this. Thanks.
BruinG20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 02:49 AM   #9
doodledo824
AF Regular

yep that was me, i was on my way to sand bar in jersey city. i should have stayed home cause now i have a chipped bumper on both sides , it's tough to find parking over there so u have to squeeze and park parrallel to everyone else and guess what , both guys who were parked next to me hit my bumper so now i have matching chips on eiter side of my bumper....time to bring out the touch up paint....
hey boogie , if u have aol. i'm underthe same name as i am in g20.net so if u want to talk g instant message me. i think i saw u but i'm not sure cause there's a white 2002 driving around with silver axxis i don't know if that's you or not.
doodledo824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 06:23 AM   #10
b-b00gie
Banned

Yeah that was me. White g20 w/ the 18" niche pultecs... soon to be replaced though as I dont like the look anymore.

I was on my to a bar in newark w/ my buddies. Hmm.. SandBar has quite a scene now huh? More and more people keep mentioning they go there. I'll have to check it out one weekend, but I work in JC so I cant really see myself willingly going back there at night. Too many potholes!! I'm surprised I havent seen one of my struts come flying through my hood.
Old 08-21-2001, 06:32 AM   #11
b-b00gie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by BruinG20
I have a 2000 model. What kind of CAI would you guys recommend? Hot Shot or JWT. I plan on getting an AEM bypass valve. B-boogie, do you have any more pics of your install? Any tips would be helpful, i'm kinda new to all of this. Thanks.
If you want a CAI your options are HotShot or Place Racing. Both are basically the same thing except the HS comes in chrome or ceramic coated finish, while the PR come in a few colors or ceramic coated (dont think they have chrome)

Install is pretty straight forward except for the minor issues I reported.

I'll try to do a write up soon. The only hard part was cutting the hole to fit the cold air extension pipe through the chassis. I used a dremel tool with a few cut-off wheels to do the trick. All you need is a steady hand and about 20 minutes of patience.
Old 08-21-2001, 06:29 PM   #12
BruinG20
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for the input b-boogie. I'll keep an eye out for your write up. I'll probably go with the hotshot cai and AEM bypass valve too. If anyone else has any pointers, it would be much appreciated.
BruinG20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 07:28 PM   #13
AznVirus
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AznVirus
sorry for asking this stupid question, but what does a dremel look like? ive heard you guys talk about it, never seen one.
Old 08-21-2001, 08:27 PM   #14
b-b00gie
Banned

The tool is actually called a "multi pro" everyone calls it a Dremel tool cause the company name is Dremel and they are famous for this tool.. they also make other drills and saws though...

anyhow, you can get a kit at home depot or other hardware store...

they just redesigned them, and these actually look nicer than the older style like I own...

http://www.dremel.com/productdisplay...ay.asp?SKU=395

I live by this tool!! make sure you get one like this that has the variable speed, not just 1 or 2 speeds..
Old 08-21-2001, 08:30 PM   #15
b-b00gie
Banned

actually, just check out www.dremel.com and you'll find lots of useful uses for this tool!

for example.. check out this car care page...

http://www.dremel.com/projectsdispla...ist.asp?CAT=20