Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-13-2002, 08:14 PM   #1
drunkensurgeon
AF Newbie

Unhappy How long will it take me to get brain damage from modeling?

Hello,

My first post, long time lurker. Great forum. Anyway, so far, I've been building for 3 months, and completed 6 cars. I started using automotive paint for the last three bodies while wearing one of those 50 cent cheap dust masks. I spray outside or in the garage, with the door open. Unfortunately, these masks don't seem to be too effective, for I've been having headaches a couple mornings after spraying for about 30 minutes. Also, the scratch remover I use for rubbing compound actually gives me the most headaches. Now, my question is: has my brain damage started kicking in already? Or does it take years of this sort of irresponsible behavior to notice the symptoms. If my brain has already started melting, is it irreversible? I've only had headaches so far, and I don't feel any more stupid than before, nor do I have mood swings (I'm a strongly mono-emotional guy). This really scares me because I will really need my brain for the rest of my life, especially with 8-10 more years of schooling left for me. I'm seriously considering calling it quits if these paints are as hazardous as I fear them to be. I will be using heavy duty respirators, goggles, etc. from now on if I do decide to continue modeling. I'd really like to know your experiences, if any, and if you know the answer to my question. Thanks a bunch.

P.S. I assume if you made it this far into reading this long long post, you probably don't have a killed attention span from all the fumes. Thanks again!
drunkensurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 08:19 PM   #2
S Brake
Ferrari Guy

Where are you priorities?!?! hmmm being intelligent, getting a good job and having it made for the rest of your life OR the joy of assembling a 1/24 work of art that was nothing without your special touch.
you really need to do some soul searching if you think brain stuff is more important than modeling
Old 04-13-2002, 08:29 PM   #3
drunkensurgeon
AF Newbie

Wow. A reply already? Well, you convinced me snowboarder. After all, since medical technology is advancing ridiculously fast, in ten years, they'll probably have brain transplants available. Whereas, if I quit modeling, in ten years, I wouldn't have beauty and art to appreciate. Who knows, maybe lack of support from people like me would drive the modeling industry into garbage, and you guys would be mad at me.

But seriously, what do you guys think? Am I just paranoid or what? Maybe my paranoia is actually a sign of brain damage. Hmmm....
drunkensurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 09:00 PM   #4
daggerlee
AF Fanatic

dude, just go to Home Improvement and get a double filter respirator (make sure it says it can filter paints.). It's $30 for guaranteed protection for the rest of your life, you can pick up a pair of goggles at the dollar store too. Using one of those, I sniffed the opening of a can of lacquer thinner...nada, no smell at all. Putting on a respirator takes all of 5 seconds, and they're pretty comfortable

Let me know if you want a pic, I'll take a pic of mine

Just remember to keep your respirator in a closed tupperware box or the cartridges will run out super fast.

daggerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 11:24 PM   #5
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
You're already spending money on boxes full of little plastic bits and then dancing around them with toxic chemicals.

There's no saving you... (or us! )

Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 11:41 PM   #6
Hard_Case
AF Newbie

Re: How long will it take me to get brain damage from modeling?

Quote:
Originally posted by drunkensurgeon
Hello,

My first post, long time lurker. Great forum. Anyway, so far, I've been building for 3 months, and completed 6 cars. I started using automotive paint for the last three bodies while wearing one of those 50 cent cheap dust masks. I spray outside or in the garage, with the door open. Unfortunately, these masks don't seem to be too effective, for I've been having headaches a couple mornings after spraying for about 30 minutes. Also, the scratch remover I use for rubbing compound actually gives me the most headaches. Now, my question is: has my brain damage started kicking in already? Or does it take years of this sort of irresponsible behavior to notice the symptoms. If my brain has already started melting, is it irreversible? I've only had headaches so far, and I don't feel any more stupid than before, nor do I have mood swings (I'm a strongly mono-emotional guy). This really scares me because I will really need my brain for the rest of my life, especially with 8-10 more years of schooling left for me. I'm seriously considering calling it quits if these paints are as hazardous as I fear them to be. I will be using heavy duty respirators, goggles, etc. from now on if I do decide to continue modeling. I'd really like to know your experiences, if any, and if you know the answer to my question. Thanks a bunch.

P.S. I assume if you made it this far into reading this long long post, you probably don't have a killed attention span from all the fumes. Thanks again!
Brains? Who needs brains? Hell, politicians prove just how far you can get in this world with no brain matter...

If that little exposure were all it took, then I'd think most people on this board would suffer serious dain brammage.....aside from spending way too much on kits (it is NOT AN OBSESSION! I AM NOT ADDICTED!). I would not worry about it, but DEFINITELY go out and get a good respirator/filter. I have a 3M dual cartridge mask, the kind used for painting. Like was said, just go to your local Home Depot or Loews HI and go to the paint department. One tip though.....make sure to get the right size. I picked up a medium when I got mine (all they had), and it's a really tight fit (has to stretch to fit over my chin...big ass face). Had to spec order a large.
Hard_Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 04:52 AM   #7
parkcaka
AF Newbie

elo drunkensurgueen maaaaa si ji diid eeeeeee do do dont be afrraid no dangerous no pain u.
primer 2 coat sst cts coats, wa waw wait 10 minu nn minutes..uuuuughgh.
HONNEEEY MEDI MEDICINEE IT IT MA BRAIN HURTTSS!!!

ps.(this is what posts will look like in this forum after 3 years I'm sure of it ehe.)
parkcaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 06:45 AM   #8
flyonthewall
Car Mod guy

Send a message via ICQ to flyonthewall
Drunkensurgeon - This upsets me a little! I'll start by pointing out that aside from model making one of my hobbies is reading medical books and journals, u could say i'm an armchair medical practitioner with a special interest in gynaecology . However what i would say to u is that now is the time to stop and think about all the wonderous and adventurous things in life that u would really like to do but not yet experienced. Because my friend, and i hate to tell u this, u have approximately 3 months to live dude! ...Bummer!!!

But seriously man, get the right safety gear. I used to spray in the garage, without the door open, with just a dust mask on when i first started spraying. I never experienced headaches, but i knew from the colour of my bogies that i was breathing in alot of this shit each time i sprayed and that can't be good for u!
flyonthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 08:17 AM   #9
modelfan1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to modelfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to modelfan1
Perhaps the damage was already done and the fumes just made you aware of it !!!! j/k:bandit:

Welcome anyway and definetly get the respirator !!
Mike
Old 04-14-2002, 11:19 PM   #10
sarujin
AF Enthusiast

Well they way I think about it, is I can be doing something fun like modelling which can hurt your brain a little. Or i can be doing something even worse like sniffing glue

Alot of the things in todays society can do stuff like this, like working at a petrol station.

Hell i even spray paint in my garage with the door shut, and no filter or mask on. I just make sure i stand far back!

sarujin
Old 04-15-2002, 06:49 AM   #11
flyonthewall
Car Mod guy

Send a message via ICQ to flyonthewall
Quote:
Originally posted by sarujin

Hell i even spray paint in my garage with the door shut, and no filter or mask on. I just make sure i stand far back!

sarujin
Damn! To think i spent that £10 on a respirator, i knew i should have brought a 12 pack of beers instead. Just one question though, how do u make sure the paint lands on the model if your standing that far back???
flyonthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 06:53 AM   #12
Twist
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by jay@af
You're already spending money on boxes full of little plastic bits and then dancing around them with toxic chemicals.

There's no saving you... (or us! )

LOL! That is quite possibly the funniest thing I have heard in a long time!

Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 05:58 AM   #13
)2ubix (ube
AF Regular

MAYBE ITS AN ALLERGY DUDE, Just cunsult your doctor if pain persists
)2ubix (ube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 03:57 PM   #14
nervestrikes
AF Enthusiast

Sounds to me like you have allergies or either a sinus problem that the fumes from paint irritate. When you paint you should be painting quickly with the spray can anyway so as soon as you spray leave the garage until it dries or until the mist is gone, good luck !
Old 09-11-2003, 04:59 PM   #15
Murray Kish
Getting Old...

Sorry if this is overkill, but get a respirator, those dust masks are totally useless.... They're relatively cheap and will save alot of brain cells. I too have problems with headaches and too much lacquer thinner and/or paint fumes can really bring them on. One of the problems is that after you sit in the fumes for a while, you tend not to smell them anymore. I've had my wife come downstairs and just about fall over from the fumes... all the time thinking that it wasn't really that bad??

If you've only built 6 cars, I can't imagine it's enough to do any serious brain damage. You probably won't need the mask when you're doing assembly work or decalling so it's not like you'll have to wear it all the time.

Good question though, thanks for coming out of the woods!!

Murray
Murray Kish is offline   Reply With Quote