Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #106
Shovel
AF Newbie

Re: 1/8 Scale Scratchbuilt 427 AC Cobra

absolutely

I think it's safe to say that I agree with Ton.

Mark
Old 03-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #107
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalemodelfanatic View Post
Garey,

This is just beautiful and spectacular work, but after seeing your 1/8 F40 project, the only conclusion is that NOTHING is to complicated or dificult for you to do...the more complicated, the easier you make it look....and as we all know, is not!!!

Is good to know that the amazing mastery of scrachtbuilding automobile accurate replicas done in the past by the great master modelers like Michael Conti,Manuel Olive Sanz and Gerard Windgrove are still alive and Extreamly well represented in your great work, and other members works shown in this forum.

Just magnificent craftmanship and can't wait to see more progress of this great project, is truly inspiring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Somehow I missed your post... Thanks for your most gracious compliments. Comparisons to the masters are appreciated, but not warranted. I have seen works by all of them and my work is nowhere near their level. Maybe someday, but I have to finish this one first and see how it looks when completed and it's a long way off. I am enjoying this build more than any other I have built and hope to see it finished in a year, maybe sooner. Thanks again for your compliments and stay tuned...

Garey
bmwmech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #108
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovel View Post
absolutely

I think it's safe to say that I agree with Ton.

Mark
Thanks guys, I can't wait to get some of the "heavy" building out of the way, so I can start the fun stuff. I have to make a master of the cylinder head, so I can cast it in white metal, so I may jump off the engine for a bit and start on the suspension next. We'll see... that's the great thing about a complete scratchbuild... no instructions provided, Lol! I can build whatever, whenever...

Garey
Old 03-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #109
GETRDUN
AF Newbie

All i can say is HOLY CRAP!!!!!you are an artist,no dought about that..
GETRDUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:22 AM   #110
tony126c2
AF Regular

Quote:
so I can cast it in white metal,
If you are going to make a one off I would consider to make the cylinder heads from another material. I have seen a lot of casting now: WM is most of the time poor, resin is much better. But you can also use simply plastic sheet, rods etc to make a very detailed part...just some food for thoughts

Ton
tony126c2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:32 AM   #111
zitzit
AF Newbie

Hi!

I won't be original, but your work looks tremendous!

I think you wrote it before, but do you work with actual blueprints? I think there is one in the background of your bench.

Keep on posting please!!!!

Regards

Olivier.
zitzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #112
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitzit View Post
Hi!

I won't be original, but your work looks tremendous!

I think you wrote it before, but do you work with actual blueprints? I think there is one in the background of your bench.

Keep on posting please!!!!

Regards

Olivier.
Thanks Olivier, yes, I do have a set of prints I was able to secure from a Cobra forum member. They are pricey and hard to come by, so I am fortunate to have been able to get my hands on them. It has made the build both alot easier and more accurate. There are alot of brackets and such that have to be spot on for things later in the build, so having an accurate frame to base everything else on from the start makes it far easier. Plus, I have the build posted on that forum, so it needs to be right on the money or the Cobra owners will let you know, Lol! It's be very good, so far, keep watching...

Garey
Old 03-15-2010, 12:25 PM   #113
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony126c2 View Post
If you are going to make a one off I would consider to make the cylinder heads from another material. I have seen a lot of casting now: WM is most of the time poor, resin is much better. But you can also use simply plastic sheet, rods etc to make a very detailed part...just some food for thoughts

Ton
Yes Ton, I know that there are better options, but, the heads are not too detailed and I want the white metal for the weight and proper finish and the ability to tap threads for the headers that will hold up to repeated use. I know the headers will be a tough part of the build and will require lots of trial and error fitting and re-fitting, and anything other than metal will not hold up to that. Plus the natural finish of the metal will look more like the aluminum the actual heads are made from without having to paint them, not that your Ferrari doesn't look outstanding with the multi-media parts you have made to replace the missing pieces! I will probably sand cast them, but that will depend on the results...

Garey
Old 03-15-2010, 01:20 PM   #114
tony126c2
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmech1 View Post
Plus the natural finish of the metal will look more like the aluminum the actual heads are made from without having to paint them
Obvious a very clear choice And your right: weight, finish are important things for the model ...but as you said: it will require a lot of trial and error ..and it is a real challenge!

Looking forward to see the first set of cylinder heads!

Ton
tony126c2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #115
Scalemodelfanatic
AF Regular

Is VERY difficult not to be repetitive in compliments about this model project, FANTASTIC,WONDERFUL AND STUNNING are but a few of the words that can be used.

I have the AC Cobra book by Hanes Publishing(great color photos) and keep going back to it and marveling at these extraordinary racing machines.

The engine in it's basic shape/form already looks great!!!

May I ask a "little" favor? would you post a side by side photo with both the F-40 and Cobra chassis.....oh, I just can imagine that wonderful duo of exeptional craftmanship in scale modeling side by side......don't worry I have my oxigen mask and bottle ready and my wife is trained in CPR for the after-shock!!!!!!!!!
Scalemodelfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #116
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalemodelfanatic View Post
Is VERY difficult not to be repetitive in compliments about this model project, FANTASTIC,WONDERFUL AND STUNNING are but a few of the words that can be used.

I have the AC Cobra book by Hanes Publishing(great color photos) and keep going back to it and marveling at these extraordinary racing machines.

The engine in it's basic shape/form already looks great!!!

May I ask a "little" favor? would you post a side by side photo with both the F-40 and Cobra chassis.....oh, I just can imagine that wonderful duo of exeptional craftmanship in scale modeling side by side......don't worry I have my oxigen mask and bottle ready and my wife is trained in CPR for the after-shock!!!!!!!!!
Your post made me laugh... too funny! I'll see if I can accommodate your request... I'll have to unpack the Ferrari, but hey, what the heck...

Thanks,

Garey
Old 03-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #117
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmech1 View Post
Yes Ton, I know that there are better options, but, the heads are not too detailed and I want the white metal for the weight and proper finish and the ability to tap threads for the headers that will hold up to repeated use. I know the headers will be a tough part of the build and will require lots of trial and error fitting and re-fitting, and anything other than metal will not hold up to that. Plus the natural finish of the metal will look more like the aluminum the actual heads are made from without having to paint them, not that your Ferrari doesn't look outstanding with the multi-media parts you have made to replace the missing pieces! I will probably sand cast them, but that will depend on the results...

Garey
Looking good Garey!

Can I jump in on the casting stuff? I've had quite a lot of practice with white metal recently and have a couple of suggestions, which I hope don't sound too patronizing!

IMHO, I'd skip the sand casting bit completely...it's very trial and error + time consuming! I recommend using a high temp rubber for making moulds. I use stuff called 'R101' in the UK - I'm sure there's an equivalent over there! It's a two part rubber that sets up like an ordinary silicone product, but it takes the heat needed for white metal/pewter. It also allows you to quickly repeat the pour, if it goes horribly wrong...and it will! Making yet another sand mould takes forever, trust me on this! My best moulds using this stuff occur if a hit the mould with a flame before pouring the metal which appears to drive off the oxygen. A light covering with talc also keeps a smoother finish on the surface and bit of flux (borax) and dare I say (some pure lead) helps the metal flow with very little bubbles. One more tip with the red rubber - it appears to 'condition' with repeated heating and often gives the best results after around 5-6 previous pours...good luck man!

Oh, and I'd go for big, fat solder for the headers...gives you loads of chance to reshape as you go. Bring your granny and I'll bring the eggs next time!

Last edited by cinqster; 03-15-2010 at 06:38 PM.
cinqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:11 PM   #118
YongGun Park

Great job !

Lot's of great stuff to learn for my work. Can't wait to see your next post.
YongGun Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:31 PM   #119
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqster View Post
Looking good Garey!

Can I jump in on the casting stuff? I've had quite a lot of practice with white metal recently and have a couple of suggestions, which I hope don't sound too patronizing!

IMHO, I'd skip the sand casting bit completely...it's very trial and error + time consuming! I recommend using a high temp rubber for making moulds. I use stuff called 'R101' in the UK - I'm sure there's an equivalent over there! It's a two part rubber that sets up like an ordinary silicone product, but it takes the heat needed for white metal/pewter. It also allows you to quickly repeat the pour, if it goes horribly wrong...and it will! Making yet another sand mould takes forever, trust me on this! My best moulds using this stuff occur if a hit the mould with a flame before pouring the metal which appears to drive off the oxygen. A light covering with talc also keeps a smoother finish on the surface and bit of flux (borax) and dare I say (some pure lead) helps the metal flow with very little bubbles. One more tip with the red rubber - it appears to 'condition' with repeated heating and often gives the best results after around 5-6 previous pours...good luck man!

Oh, and I'd go for big, fat solder for the headers...gives you loads of chance to reshape as you go. Bring your granny and I'll bring the eggs next time!
Thanks for the tips! I've actually had decent success with sand casting, but you're right about quality vs. time spent on multiples... silicone is the way to go... I still have to make the master, so I'm a ways off yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Had to correct a small problem I discovered on the frame tonight. Took the better part of the evening, so no new photos, but it's right as rain, now... I'll need 1/4" diameter solder for the header tubes and then I have to be able to attach it to the sidepipes and then chrome it... I may have to go with brass rod, I think, but solder is great for headers... granny and eggs, eh? Never heard that one... do explain...

Garey
Old 03-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #120
bmwmech1
AF Regular

A member on the Cobra forum, where I have this build posted also, wanted a picture of me holding the frame to get a perspective on size, so I though I'd post 2 on here as well... one of the frame and the other of the block... enjoy...

Garey

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports