Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 10:09 PM   #1
Lethidox
AF Newbie

What cars should i be looking at?

I am currently saving up for a car. my current one i've had for about 3 years now after a bad accident ( driver ran a red light from complete stop and hit me ) totaled my last car. this car is going though. it's been kept in rough shape over the years not maintained well imo but has taught me a lot. I don't have a lot saved up right now so i am basically looking for a used car.

im looking for something smaller; right now i drive a ford windstar ( a van ) i don't need that much space it's mainly only me driving/in the car majority of the time. looking for a 4 or 6 cylinder.

biggest issue for me though is i am looking for something i can learn to work on. with this van it's just been pretty hell for someone like me who has not much tools or knowledge and trying to learn to work on it. I am also pretty much looking for something longevity wise meaning it will last a long time, lots of parts i can easily find online and replace, but at the same time also something i can eventually swap for more power. I am also looking for something that has some taste to it.

Any suggestions in terms of make and models/years. could use a bunch.

right now i've been trying to find 90's stuff like integra's ( almost impossible to find without having major issues mostly cosmetics ), civic EK/EG's are pretty hard to find where i live, been looking at some s10's which are hit or miss.

right now though im basically just looking for something that i can work on and will last a while. this is gonna be a long term car and my first car i can say i've bought myself so yea it does have meaning to me.

My budget is maybe $6-7k for the car itself i mean yea im not expecting something insanely nice and low mileage just something i can work on over the years and fix up and use as a daily driver. I prefer older models usually say early 90's but i am open to suggestions. will need a lot of suggestions though as i live in Hawaii so it's not easy to find specific makes/models and certain years like EK's and EG's tend to get bought real fast.
Lethidox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:45 AM   #2
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Re: What cars should i be looking at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethidox View Post
I am currently saving up for a car. my current one i've had for about 3 years now after a bad accident ( driver ran a red light from complete stop and hit me ) totaled my last car. this car is going though. it's been kept in rough shape over the years not maintained well imo but has taught me a lot. I don't have a lot saved up right now so i am basically looking for a used car.

im looking for something smaller; right now i drive a ford windstar ( a van ) i don't need that much space it's mainly only me driving/in the car majority of the time. looking for a 4 or 6 cylinder.

biggest issue for me though is i am looking for something i can learn to work on. with this van it's just been pretty hell for someone like me who has not much tools or knowledge and trying to learn to work on it. I am also pretty much looking for something longevity wise meaning it will last a long time, lots of parts i can easily find online and replace, but at the same time also something i can eventually swap for more power. I am also looking for something that has some taste to it.

Any suggestions in terms of make and models/years. could use a bunch.

right now i've been trying to find 90's stuff like integra's ( almost impossible to find without having major issues mostly cosmetics ), civic EK/EG's are pretty hard to find where i live, been looking at some s10's which are hit or miss.

right now though im basically just looking for something that i can work on and will last a while. this is gonna be a long term car and my first car i can say i've bought myself so yea it does have meaning to me.

My budget is maybe $6-7k for the car itself i mean yea im not expecting something insanely nice and low mileage just something i can work on over the years and fix up and use as a daily driver. I prefer older models usually say early 90's but i am open to suggestions. will need a lot of suggestions though as i live in Hawaii so it's not easy to find specific makes/models and certain years like EK's and EG's tend to get bought real fast.
Any late 2000s Honda or Toyota should fit the bill. Just seek out examples with less than 100,000 miles, good maintenance history, and you be fine.

I got a 2010 Honda Accord two years ago, 71,000 miles, quite satisfied with it despite it’s size - huge for an Accord lol! You might find a contemporary Civic or Corolla more suitable.
RidingOnRailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 11:44 AM   #3
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan
Re: What cars should i be looking at?

A Ford crown Victoria or a mercury grand marquis can be found in your price range; they are ultra reliable and fairly easy to work on if necessary.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:01 PM   #4
daveshapellSVT
Specvgini

May be slim picking on the island. Get a chevy or ford rwd pickup.
2002 Mustang GT ( 4:10 gears, X pipe, cat back, CAI, Under drive pulley set, Intake plenum, throttle body, Tuned) 13.7@101mph https://youtu.be/btMHZeoZTS0
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeu...PX2WMqty2z4aPw
2015 Jeep renegade trailhawk
2017 VW Jetta TSI 1.8T
daveshapellSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daveshapellSVT For This Useful Post:
JordyStepho (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 03:09 AM   #5
JordyStepho
AF Newbie

If you're in Honolulu then your options are extremely limited, as someone once said to me, it doesn't matter what you choose to get, if it's second hand, just get the one in best condition.
JordyStepho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 04:52 AM   #6
lilyleee
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordyStepho View Post
If you're in Honolulu then your options are extremely limited, as someone once said to me, it doesn't matter what you choose to get, if it's second hand, just get the one in best condition.
I totally agree with it
Find what is available at the moment, and check the best available variant. Some parts always could be changed.
lilyleee is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General