Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Become a fan of Igor Sushko - Racecar Driver
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Rover > 75
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 09:50 AM   #16
Bikergirl
AF Newbie

Re: My Rover 75 randomly won't start

Thanks to reading other 75 owners' problems with starting and taking the advice of the solution possibly being a new camshaft sensor, I was able to tell my 'Rover' dealer (now a Ford garage) in advance and they had the sensor on stand-by when I visited today for an urgent diagnostic check. I'd begun to call-out the AA on consecutive days with the non-starting problem, both frustrating and a tad embarassing. Hurrah, the diagnostic check kept coming back to the camshaft sensor being the culprit. Thanks for all the help.
Bikergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:23 AM   #17
boxergirl
AF Newbie

wow, who would have thought my desperate little post would have done so much good in the end (and kept so many pounds in pockets where they belong!). Great news! Laura.
boxergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 05:46 AM   #18
arrows
AF Newbie

I am so gratefull for everyone posting this information. My Rover 75 2.5 2003 has exactly the same fault. It started four weeks ago. Every now and again it just turns over and over and over. I disconnected the battery thinking it was a computer fault. Once my computer average speed bit etc went wobbly and it fixed that. I think it was co-incidence that after a period of time it finally starts. The only thing I find of releif at the moment is that everyone says it eventually starts...other than this and a back door that wont open its a fantastic car and a joy to drive!! Anyone got any more advice than just change the two sensors?
arrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:50 AM   #19
donaldboese
AF Newbie

Hi,
i had a problem with no starting once and it was the fuel transfer tank..( a small container which stops the car running low on feul when a low tank and cornering) sometimes these can come unscrewed a half turn and loose vacumme)..it is a known problem with the 75s
Old 09-18-2007, 10:11 AM   #20
Want2Bhappy
AF Newbie

Smile Re: My Rover 75 randomly won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHappy
"I wonder how many other Rover owners are out there scratching their heads over the same issue and dreading important occasions when they need to drive..."

And I wonder how many different explanations garages can come up with once the 75 has been on "the computer". My experience (same problem but different "diagnosis") is that one can't be sure that one isn't being fed a line, especially now that Rover has all but died.

In my case, I asked if it could possibly be anything else other than "the control box" to the starter motor which is what they said "the computer" diagnosed. The man said the computer diagnosis would be correct,
although he didn't show me anything to prove it! What can one say?? All the messages here about this problem talk about faults that have not been mentioned by my garage, although the symptoms are exactly the same as those described here! I also asked him if it could be anything to do with the gears/gearbox and he said no it wouldn't be, and that it was probably just a coincidence that it started after I had moved through the gears (it is automatic by the way). We have had a problem recently with the fuel guage warning light coming on/ needle on empty even with a full tank, but that seemed to be the hot weather. The non starting problem has been getting worse over time. The garage charged me for a new battery last week, and the next day it didn't start for 10 mins as usual. When it went in for testing by "the computer", they still didn't have an explanation 24 hrs later. Then they called with this diagnoses of "the control box" having an electrical short and that this had probably damaged the starter motor saying that both would have to be replaced! How can one know for sure what "the computer" diagnoses if they don't give you a copy of the printout? We are put in the position of being prime mugs as we have to trust them. Said they would have to replace my "control box" (described as the car's "brain" - do they treat all women this way!??) AND my starter motor. I won't say how much that would cost as I suspect folk might faint with shock given what we have seen above in terms of other diagnoses and solutions. I took the car back, but was still charged 100 for the diagnosis, so altogether 170 including the replaced battery.
I am in London and have been told of 4 garages who still have a Rover franchise, I took it to one of them because I thought they would be the most reliable. Does anyone take their 75 to a reliable mechanic? if so can you tell me where they are located?
I am really hoping that this will solve my problem, which seems to be the same as everyone elses. I have just ordered a new sensor off the internet which will hopefully get to me by thursday. Will definately be big smiles all round if it works.
Want2Bhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:16 AM   #21
Want2Bhappy
AF Newbie

Want2Bhappy]

Hi this is such a good site and I really appreciate everyone's imput.

I am really hoping that this will solve my problem, which seems to be the same as everyone elses. I have just ordered a new sensor off the internet which will hopefully get to me by thursday. Will definitely be big smiles all round if it works. If not will coming back for more ideas!!runaround
Want2Bhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:27 AM   #22
tovarich
AF Newbie

I'm encountering a similar problem with my Rover 75 Connoisseur.Random start refusal .But today I got Traction control in the computer screen on the dashboard.Can anyone tell me what could be the problem ?
tovarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:34 AM   #23
tekapotig
AF Newbie

Hi Boxer Girl,
yes we too are having difficulties in starting our Rover 75. So far I have managed to ascertain that it could be-
1) Camshaft and cam sensor
2) Power steering sensor
3) Fuel transfer tank
4) Immobiliser

I am very reluctant at this stage to take it into a garage. Its like giving them a blank cheque!

Our main symptoms are that it wont start randomly and there is no telling when this could happen. Its ususally when we go shopping and the car is left for an hour or two so this would suggest it occurs when the car is warm. It starts every morning without fail.
we decided to test this one day so when we arrived back home (from an extended shopping trip) we fired her up again ---And she totally worked! It was so wierd. When we wanted it to fail it didnt!
Im lost!!! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!
tekapotig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #24
headlongrush
AF Newbie

We've put up with this for over a year. We've noticed it's more likely to occur after 30 minutes and less than 2 hours of having been run. When it happens we just have to sit it out. Once we called out the AA and after a diag check he suggested a camshaft sensor might be at fault. He also indictaed after a time it usually resets itself (which is what seems to happen). He also suggested turning the engine over for more than 30 seconds might do the trick but it didn't work for us. We may have to bite the bullet and replace this sensor. If it works out we'll let you know which one and how much it cost. In the meantime, maybe a half-hour chill-out is not such a bad thing? Don't answer that, it's just wishful thinking!
headlongrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:39 PM   #25
kysee
AF Newbie

That's really great!
If you have a problem in your parts, I think it is a must for you to change them.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #26
neal.blackmoor
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: My Rover 75 randomly won't start

hello all,
i have seen what you have all put so i have ordered a camshaft sensor and a crankshaft sensor. as im also having problems with it not starting when hot or just even warm.... drives like nothing wrong but i cant keep going into shops with the car running as i dont want to turn it off incase it does not want to start for couple of hours...also inbarasing when i call the AA out and then it starts at the first turn of the key.....will post if it fixes my problem......middle of next week sometime
neal.blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:56 PM   #27
neal.blackmoor
AF Newbie

hi every one..... i have solved my problem 70 and 5 min under the bonnet...camshaft sensor...thanks to all that posted so i could find my problem....better that a huge garage bill, do it your self.
neal.blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #28
garyauto64
AF Newbie

Re the problem with the traction control lamp on, check the cable for the traction control is not broken, it is housed in a small unit that looks like a wiper motor unclip the cover and check the wheel does not rotate back and forward, it is connected near the throttle cable at the throttle body
garyauto64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:50 AM   #29
BUNGY
AF Newbie

Hi all, just joined this site and this is my first post. Initially wanted answers to my Rover 75 having intermittant starting problems. Just had it down my mates garage, put it on the computer and came back with 'fuel pressure problem'. He merely tapped the secondary fuel pump (silver thing at rear of engine) and lo and behold it started! New one costs over 200 + vat so guess i will just put up with tapping it now and again till it goes altogether. This just might work for someone if they get stuck with car not starting!
Happy new year to all!!!
BUNGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #30
Gazza3101
AF Newbie

Hi, just read the threads on the rover 75 diesel starting problems, I have the same problem, I'm mechanically minded and have so far established the following.

The car starts with easy start.
The problem only occurs when the car is hot
Both pumps are working fine
Cam sensor disconnected and easy start used to prove if cam sensor working. Once cam sensor disconnected easy start starts engine but then cuts out, reconnect cam sensor and used easy start again and engine starts and runs thus proving cam sensor working and firing diesel in at correct time.
Once the car is running it idles perfectly and revs evenly throughout the range even to The red line without an issue.
Car still maintaining an average of 50 - 55 to the gallon, no loss of power with only one exception so far, pulling off from a busy roundabout, gunned it away as the roundabout was like a racetrack, when the revs got over 4000 , she cut out ? Bottom twitching moment, pulled off, pulled bonnet, tried to start, no avail, grabbed easy start, quick squirt and started and drove fine.

I do 150 miles per day driving to work and back, motorway for 90% of it, never a problem drives perfectly.

I do love the old beast and she drives great but the mot due in April and I'm undecided as to if I should bite the bullet and give up on her or persevere and do the minor work needed for the mot and continue trying to figure this out.

Any advice guys please. Many thanks
Gaz
Gazza3101 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD