Hi all, I live in New Zealand and this is my first post on these forums and like so many others I have a question about my Jap import.
I have a 2003 Grandis with touch screen (mmcs (i think this is what it is called)). There is a dvd player under the front drivers seat and a 2nd screen behind the front seats in the roof (no model numbers yet sorry).
Now unlike all the other posts i have read about the system not working mine does work but it is all in Japanese, I am trying to translate it using pictures I have taken and using the internet to work out the translation but not having much look. With all the topics and discussion over numerous websites I am totally astounded that there is so little info about these systems. There was one topic about a website being made to coalate all the info into one site but this seems to have dropped off the radar and is no longer available. With so many Japenese imports into this country someone somewhere must know most if not all the answers by now. But anyway enough of my rant here are the questions i would like to have answered if possible please.
1) All NZ dvd's are in PAL so i am pressuming this is the reason why they won't play in the dvd player, they need to be in Japanese format to play but I did read about an option in the system (maybe not mine) about setting the NTSC to PAL. Can this be done ? If so how ? or does it have to be a NTSC dvd in the first place ?
2) Is there anywhere on the internet (someone may know, I can't find anything) which has the translations for the various screens ?
3) I have heard the language is hard coded into the system so there is no real way of changing it to english. Is this true ? Someone wrote about having the main chip replaced with the code on it at a cost of around $1400 is this true ?
4) I have found in my travels on the internet several sites selling after market systems which from looking at them you take out the dash screen and replace it with one of these. Has anyone done this ? If so do all the systems features work how they should ?
5) I downloaded a firmware .iso named MR285494_2003 It has 4 files in it but I have not found out any info about what these files actually do. Can anyone tell me in laymans terms what this firmware will actually do ? I.e. new software for the system and english built in ? New software but still Japanese ?
I know this is a lot of questions etc but there is way to much missleading info when doing searches that it would be nice to actually have straight answers, these forums seemed to have the best results so far but for all the wrong topics and/or from years ago. I would of thought that if the problem existed about the language barrier 7 years ago surely it should of been fixed by now.
Anyway looking forward to everybodies comments and hopefully straight answers too